Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Windows 7 freezes on startup

I have a problem on my computer where windows freezes at different stages during startup, i have tried startup repair which does not work and system restore which did not work either and i have searched on forums on the internet and people were not reporting any succesful fixes of the problem.

if anyone has had the same problem and knows a fix for it then i would love to know but any help is appreciated.

is your win7 legit or did you use a windows loader for it?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you have done what you have listed you should test the hardware. Could easily be your hard drive is encountering bad blocks which would mean a hard drive replacement is in order. You can test the hard drive using a program by the name of HDDScan. You will more than likely have to plug the hard drive into a working computer to be able to scan it since you can not boot into Windows. You can also try entering safe mode to use Windows via safe mode.

Deleted
    Yes my windows is legit.

And i can not run software as its not possible for me to log in, i am the only person i know of who has a widnows desktop, everyone else either has a mac or a laptop.
    And doesnt safe mode limit what i can do?

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the hardware in it? Maybe some kind of device failure inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could also be too many things connected to your . I know I used to have that problem till I tried disconnecting some things and it did wonders. They'll be fine to plug in afterwords just seems like windows 7 takes ALOT of power to boot up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    It could also be too many things connected to your . I know I used to have that problem till I tried disconnecting some things and it did wonders. They'll be fine to plug in afterwords just seems like windows 7 takes ALOT of power to boot up.
    i have an i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz and a 570 so i dont think its a hardware problem

15+ Year Old Account
    More information could be helpfull. Does this occur every time you boot up or just sometimes? If you can get in windows, does it then function normally? Also, what's your setup?

Edit: When did this start? What did you do prior to it happening?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes safe mode limits what programs start up. It will only load windows and the necessary drivers to run windows. Which will be perfect because then you can test your hard drive like I said with HDDScan. Assuming you can run Windows in safe mode then you know that it is a faulting driver or application. It can also be a virus causing this issue but I suggest safe mode and HDDScan before anything else.

Deleted
    every boot up, sometimes i might get past windows logo and sometimes it will get to the log in screen, i managed to log in once but then it froze after 5 minutes of using it. setup is in my last post, but 8gb 1600mhz ram, tx650w corsair psu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzunki View Post
    i have an i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz and a 570 so i dont think its a hardware problem
    No I said or at least meant power as in literally electricity. I have a machine with an i7-920 and a 5770 not the best but my point is bad upgrade aside it runs quite well(not as well as it should but I never do maintenance and hardly ever power it off so yeah great considering) but when I have it's USB ports filled it can't boot right BECAUSE it seems it can't power em all up right. That is what I meant not power as in strength.

---------- Post added 2011-08-26 at 03:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tzunki View Post
    every boot up, sometimes i might get past windows logo and sometimes it will get to the log in screen, i managed to log in once but then it froze after 5 minutes of using it. setup is in my last post, but 8gb 1600mhz ram, tx650w corsair psu
    Yep this sounds almost exactly like my problem you may have too many things plugged in though as was also said check for viruses.

what kind of hard drive do you use? SSD or HDD?

If its HDD you might have bad sectors on your hard drive.
    If its SSD you probably need to do a safe format, reinstall window and follow a guide to optimize your SSD.

Deleted
    I had the same problem, I just reinstalled Window 7 and mines working fine now.
    But for me if wasn't the only problem, I had my power supply switching, something else afterwards (Corsair TX750W)

Deleted
    just did a re-install of windwos and i have the same problem, althought i can actually log in most of the times it just freezes within a minute

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove CPU overclock and/or clear CMOS completely and see if you get the freezes.

Dunno if it has been suggested, but try to boot up in failsafe mode. Might be a faulty/corrupted driver of some sort.

Also, dust/dirt in critical parts can cause all sorts of trouble. If you feel comfortable with fiddliing with the components, then try to remove, clean and reseat ram blocks/gpu. Also check CPU for dirt/dust.

Also, post your CPU heat levels. Maybe its caused by insufficient cooling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krios View Post
    Dunno if it has been suggested, but try to boot up in failsafe mode. Might be a faulty/corrupted driver of some sort.

Also, dust/dirt in critical parts can cause all sorts of trouble. If you feel comfortable with fiddliing with the components, then try to remove, clean and reseat ram blocks/gpu. Also check CPU for dirt/dust.

Also, post your CPU heat levels. Maybe its caused by insufficient cooling.
    just got a new motherboard so not caused because of dust so. and definitely nothing to do with temps

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Like I said scan the hard drive for errors using HDDScan. Otherwise go out and buy a new hard drive.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Remove CPU overclock and/or clear CMOS completely and see if you get the freezes.
    this

sounds like you have a bad OC
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

If you're using ESET Nod 5, just remove it and problem solved !