Thread: shit fps loss

shit fps loss

so ive been wondering - i play on low/medium-ish settings pretty much, dont give a fuck about graphics, and i keep about 100 fps idle, 60ish in raids/pvp. BUT for example if I go in dalaran arena the moment the water fall shows up my fps DIES. same thing if a DK spams fucking aoe slow unholy shit on the ground, fps DIES again, tons of screen "tearing".

water/liqud etc shit effects are to the lowest and everything is fine, as long as i dont come close to a waterfall/dk shit. the FPS loss is just unbearable and so frustrating.

any idea how to actually disable/reduce those effects???? any help is appreciated

Download new drivers for you graphics card
    Delete Cache folder.
    Delete/update some addons as they might be out of date.

Edit

Check your addons are up to date or maybe one that got updated is broken and you'll have to go back to an older version of said addon.

These addons have been known to create TERRIBLE FPS issues with certain updates for me. I run on a PC that can max any game out right now so I know right away it's not my PC
    -Recount
    -Tidy plates
    -Quartz

Turn down view distance and try playing windowed or fullscreen-windowed.
    Last edited by Trapt; 2011-08-26 at 04:49 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapt View Post
    You're already lying.

WoW doesn't go passed 60FPS so you're not getting 100FPS anywhere.
    WoW can go over 60 fps, as long as you turn off Vsync. So don't call people liars when you don't know what you're talking about.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    You're already lying.

WoW doesn't go passed 60FPS so you're not getting 100FPS anywhere.
    I'm pretty certian it does. I have a 120hz monitor and set wow to match my monitor refresh rate and in unpopulated areas the in game FPS meter showed me clear at 120 fps not that the human eye can detect that refresh rate, but yeah.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2011-08-26 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    WoW can go over 60 fps, as long as you turn off Vsync. So don't call people liars when you don't know what you're talking about.
    Yea that's my mistake. I keep forgetting about that.

Anyway ignore my ignorance up top.

But do check the addons I listed.

Deleted
    Lets get a few things straight here.

WoW is not framerate capped. It can push as many frames as your hardware allows it to.

The human eye does not work with frames, rather with movement. Jet fighter pilots have been tested and they could see and identify an image in a dark room being projected for 1/220'th of a second.

However, your monitor can only display as many fps as it refreshes per second.
    On most monitors that refresh rate is 60Hz, or 60 frames per second, but some monitors have a 120Hz refresh rate, or even more.

Hope that set some things straight.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Screen tearing? Is Vsync enabled or disabled?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Console_variables

Look through there, do some research on what some of them do and try reducing them that way. Don't go changing stuff all willy nilly and be sure to save the original Config file as a back up in the case you screw something up.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Console_variables

Look through there, do some research on what some of them do and try reducing them that way. Don't go changing stuff all willy nilly and be sure to save the original Config file as a back up in the case you screw something up.
    i looked it through and i can see quite a bit of commands, but is there anything actually related to for example the waterfall? Im pretty sure everything is alright hardware/software wise as i have abs NO(0) problems with graphics unless i go near the dalaran arena waterfall.

vsyync disabled, 1x multisampling. billinear textures, etc, pretty low on everything. i tried both projected textures enabled and disabled but its the same.

all drivers/etc/ up to dates, temps all fine, etc.

Telling us your PC specs would be a good start.

pretty much everything is fine as i sent it to dell's hardware support for routine check/tuneup like a month ago. intel duo core, 4ghz, 4gb ram, vista 32bit, ati mob radeon 4570 512mb ram; dont have anything running in the background except like vent/skype.

i am trying to find a way to either reduce or (better) turn off the effect like the waterfall in dalaran arena/dks shit on the ground.

The PC is pretty outdated and weak to begin with.

It's not surprising at all that you get bad FPS when you start fraps. Even if wow is on low settings the fact that your PC is trying to record and write data at the same time makes it strenuous on the machine.

An upgrade would solve your problems. Just remember, just because you get good/ok FPS in a game doesn't mean you will when you record it.