Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Portal 2 looked nice to me but if you want a nice game engine I really can't wait for Battlefield 3 is looking amazing to be straight forward.
    Hey everyone

Is it old?

Definitely.

Is it showing it's age?

A bit, primarily in the graphics department.

Is it still a good engine?

Yes. The capabilities of the engine are still good and it's still used in games without looking too dated (specifically I'm thinking Vindictus, which looks and plays spectacularly with both the graphics and the physics).

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    Portal 2.

/thread
    ... Could've looked better.

Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post

yeah, you're right. that's not good enough, shoulda been as good as cryengine.

Deleted
    any game ever made could be improved. So whats yout point?

whats the point of having amazing engines when the majority of games will be low resolution crap on consoles? frostbite 2 is a joke on consoles... maps 75% reduced lulwut?

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    yeah, you're right. that's not good enough, shoulda been as good as cryengine.
    He's right actually. While they significantly improved the graphics for Portal 2, and they are pretty good, there is definitely a lot more they could have done with it.

That being said, I still think Portal 2 looks great.

There's a reason they have OPTIONS, so people with top end and low end can enjoy without sacrificing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Yet it's an extremely versatile and strong engine that still looks much much better then anything else that's 7 years old. Just look at Doom 3 that came out around the same time as Half-life 2, it doesn't even hold a candle on the Source engine today.

And as you know, Valve is like Blizzard, "when it's done".
    yeah indeed , when Half-Life 2 first came out it was just shocking to me how good the graphics were , especially when you compare it to the ones of Half-Life 2. And btw , im still of opinion that the graphics are very good. I dont like super realistic like Age Of Conan.

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    Source... ain't it that modified Quake engine that run those boring shooters like HL2?
    !?!?!?!? - Half-Life is a few milion players away from wow , i dont think it would be that much if it was boring. There are tons of people dying to get HL2:Epi3 , even after they delayed it for 3 years already.

Deleted
    An engine really only describes the underlying logic or systems of an graphics motor, similar to how a programing language defines your basic rules and principles.

The engine doesn't necessarily limit what you can do (it does, but fro other reasons).

Even today parts of the Quake 3 engine are used in modern engines and the Unreal Engine still uses elements of every older generation.

And while I agree that it might make sense to upgrade an engine once new tech becomes available, this doesn't seem to be the case right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    This is the major problem i have with how they run their games. If they pushed their games to limits of the engine then i wouldnt gripe, but the problem is they dont. And dont give me the "they need to tone it down for people with shit comps" excuse because there are levels of graphic detail in the video options for a reason.

Must be blind bro cus even COD4 blows half life 2 out of the water.
    You think so? all I ever see in COD are explosions and average animation. Of course I am probably looking back at HL2 with rose tinted glasses but I have yet to COD4 tackle facial animations, body animations and textures like HL2 (can someone post pics from both games? maybe I am just being crazy here)

Cod engine doesnt really focus around facial features like that and we wernt talking about facial features.

Texture wise i still like COD compare to half life and model wise i like it even more. But this is just one example.

Cod engine doesnt really focus around facial features like that and we wernt talking about facial features.

Texture wise i still like COD compare to half life and model wise i like it even more. But this is just one example.
    ACOG on the MP5K.. ? Also, facial animations were pretty good in the BlOps story

ACOG on the MP5K.. ? Also, facial animations were pretty good in the BlOps story
    It was the first link in google XD

Black Ops: Release 2010.
    Half Life 2: Released 2004.

What's your point? That 7 year old games don't look as good as 1 year old games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Video game rule No1 : Good graphics don't make good games.
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Black Ops: Release 2010.
    Half Life 2: Released 2004.

What's your point? That 7 year old games don't look as good as 1 year old games?
    Someone brought up that current fps games besides crysis dont look better than Half life 2. I pointed out he was wrong and you guys flipped your shit?

Video game rule No1 : Good graphics don't make good games.
    In your opinion.

Someone brought up that current fps games besides crysis dont look better than Half life 2. I pointed out he was wrong and you guys flipped your shit?
    Seeing as how he was asking about character animations...

Yeah.

i read this as: If i create a game with graphics far superior to games like Age Of Conan , but in the lenght of 10 sec walking , its better then a game with 1990 graphics , but with a epic gamestory and lenght / involvement to the player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    i read this as: If i create a game with graphics far superior to games like Age Of Conan , but in the lenght of 10 sec walking , its better then a game with 1990 graphics , but with a epic gamestory and lenght / involvement to the player.
    graphics dont make a good game.. its pretty obvious. They can add to a game but ultimately its not the sole reason why a game is good, bad etc. Some people need something to look good to appreciate it though.. sad but true.