Deleted

Fans spin for half second and computer wont start

This is my build which I just bought and installed during the past two days.
    Case - Coolermaster HAF 912
    Motherboard - Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboard GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
    CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
    Video Card - XFX HD 6950 800M 1 GB DDR5 PCI-E Video Card HD695XZNFC
    SSD - Lexar Media Inc Crucial 128 GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive CT128M4SSD2
    HD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX
    Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC
    Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2
    CPU Fan - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564
    CD Drive - Liteon 24X DVDrw Sata Retail

Ok so I have everything set up and the wires all where they are supposed to be to the best of my knowledge from following the install guides and help from a brother. Now when I start it up, the fans will turn for about a half second then power off. I tried unplugging drive cables and the 24 pin from the motherboard and taking out the battery for 30 seconds and reconnecting it all. Still nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    and the 24 pin from the motherboard
    did you remember to plug in the 6 pin too (just by the way you didn't mention it)

is the heatsink situated correctly?

edit: 8 pin (2x4pins on mine) not 6

edit2: try pulling out the ram, sitting them in different slots, only using 1 slot/stick etc

edit3: have you plugged the cpu fan into the motherboard as well as the regular fans (either into motherboard or psu)
    Last edited by Rixis; 2011-08-26 at 11:50 PM.

Deleted
    Do a full check on every connector. And I do mean all of them, even HDDs and fans. Make sure the CPU heatsink fan is inserted in the correct connector on the MoBo.
    Try to start it with only one RAM stick inserted. If it doesn't work, alternate slots and sticks and see if that helps.
    Try to start it without the GPU inserted.

It might be a faulty PSU, but it could also be a whole bunch of other things. Do a thorough check of every component to narrow down what it could be.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Start with just the basics - CPU (with heatsink of course) and RAM, attempt to boot. Then add the video card, attempt to boot again. Then add the primary hard drive (which I would guess is the SSD). Work from the basics upwards until either everything is in and going, or you've found whatever was causing the machine to not post.

If you get stuck at the first part - RAM and CPU, then shuffle the RAMs to different slots.

Good luck!
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

I looked up what I think is your graphics card. MMO won't let me post a link, but it says "XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini Display Port, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready" on tigerdirect. If that's it, it requires a minimum of 500 wattage, and your PSU is only 650, which means it's probably getting the life sucked out of right off the bat. Just a guess. If your mb has onbaord graphics, try taking out the card to see if that does it.

I had this same problem about 2 months ago. It confused me so much. I even brought a brand new Mobo/CPU/Ram and still didnt fix it. So I got fed up and ended taking my computer in a local hardware store to fix it. The problem turned out to be my GPU.

But It could also be something else causing the problems?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chidsuey1 View Post
    I looked up what I think is your graphics card. MMO won't let me post a link, but it says "XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini Display Port, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready" on tigerdirect. If that's it, it requires a minimum of 500 wattage, and your PSU is only 650, which means it's probably getting the life sucked out of right off the bat. Just a guess. If your mb has onbaord graphics, try taking out the card to see if that does it.
    It recommends a 500W PSU, and OP has a 650W? I fail to see the problem. And, just to add, the 6950 pulls at absolute max maybe 220W, and the computer as a whole a maximum of 400W. His PSU, given that it works as it should, is totally fine.

Deleted
    Im gonna try and work up slowly adding to the board. It may be my cpu cooling fan not wired correctly or something. Ill check back after a quick diagnosis. Thank you for the ideas, has really helped me a lot. Now have to go through each and every one and get this worked out. Cant wait to play on my new rig =).

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 12:16 AM ----------

Woot. It was just the 4 pin power on the motherboard not plugged in. Its up and running and the SSD is amazing. Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigshockerz View Post
    Im gonna try and work up slowly adding to the board. It may be my cpu cooling fan not wired correctly or something. Ill check back after a quick diagnosis. Thank you for the ideas, has really helped me a lot. Now have to go through each and every one and get this worked out. Cant wait to play on my new rig =).

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 12:16 AM ----------

Woot. It was just the 4 pin power on the motherboard not plugged in. Its up and running and the SSD is amazing. Thanks
    woo, thankfully wasn't something more terminal, and yeah, ssd = win

Don't worry, it happens very, very often to new builders.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Outstanding - thanks for following up !
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

Deleted
    Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious! Happy gaming with your new computer (remember to stop by the "Post your gaming setup!" thread with pictures later)!

Deleted
    Yeah ill have to post some pics to the gaming setup. Just put in a 200mm and two more 120mm blue led fans. This building your own rig has opened up a whole new world to me. It's so much more fulfilling doing it all yourself.