Thread: TV or Monitor?

TV or Monitor?

I've been wondering for quite some time whether or not using a larger flat screen tv is a viable options to hook up my comp too. I've never had any experience with it and I'd rather use a TV for dual purpose use if that is at all possible. Maybe I'm just ambitious but at any rate... anyone know?

I figured resolutions would be an issue but personally I'm too drawn to the aspect of playing on a larger screen but I wouldn't do it if it would mess with performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can hook my computer up to my family's flat screen. I've never had an issue with resolution and performance. It's actually quick an interesting experience away from your standard monitor.

You'll get the same FPS on a 50" Full HD screen as on a 20" Full HD screen.
    What does hurt performance however is going for a 30" 2560x1600 screen, but the visual quality of these screens is very hard to achieve on TVs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use a 46" HDTV here and there. I prefer gaming on my 23" monitor just because it feels more... right... for PC gaming.

I do much prefer call of duty on the 46" TV though. MUCH prefer. MUCH MUCH MUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Using a 40" Samsung LCD here with no issues. The downside of using a TV is lower resolutions compared to most monitors. It's also much more difficult to find a 120Hz TV than it is to find a 120Hz Monitor, even impossible to find one at the same price as a monitor.

The upside is a much larger screen, ideal if you watch a lot of movies on your PC, or just want to invite friends over for some large screen gaming.
    That and 120Hz TVs aren't the same as 120Hz Monitors.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2