Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Music] unpopular bands you like.

Just wondering if there is anyone else that has bands they really like that seem unpopular / controversial / considered bad.

For example i absolutely love Modest Mouse but most people i meet can't stand them. Maybe it's just where i live?

bands i get shit all the time for liking:
    Modest Mouse
    White Stripes
    Silversun Pickups
    The Pillows

EDIT: Forgot to label the thread as music, sorry mods.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2011-08-27 at 03:12 AM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Just wondering if there is anyone else that has bands they really like the seem unpopular / controversial / considered bad.

For example i absolutely love Modest Mouse but most people i meet can't stand them. Maybe it's just where i live?

bands i get shit all the time for liking:
    Modest Mouse
    White Stripes
    Silversun Pickups
    The Pillows
    These are all "popular" bands except for The Pillows, and by no means are they controversial. You probably get shit for liking them because they ARE popular and people like to make themselves appear to be special snowflakes. for the record, silversun pickups are an incredible band (my favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    These are all "popular" bands except for The Pillows, and by no means are they controversial. You probably get shit for liking them because they ARE popular and people like to make themselves appear to be special snowflakes. for the record, silversun pickups are an incredible band (my favorite).
    i know they are all pretty commercially successful bands so they are popular on some level, but trying to find a fellow silversun pickups fan in the DC / VA area is pretty damn hard.

Also i know what you mean, Pikul is one of the greatest albums ever imo.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2011-08-27 at 03:20 AM.

Well, when I was younger I enjoyed Nickleback....

Also, I still like Coldplay, which just about everybody seems to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Well, when I was younger I enjoyed Nickleback....

Also, I still like Coldplay, which just about everybody seems to hate.
    i really don't get the nickelback phobia, it's like hating nickleback suddenly became the cool thing to do back in the day.

Not my favorite band by any stretch of the imagination but they are really not as bad as people make them out to be.

I listen to psychobilly, gothabilly, and horror rock/punk primarily.
    Not only does no one know what those genres are, even less would be able to name a single band(other than The Misfits for horror punk maybe).
    So:
    Nekromantix
    The Creepshow
    The Meteors
    Koffin Kats
    Zombina and the Skeletones
    Blitzkid
    Zombie Ghost Train

Those are just a few. If any of you recognize even one of those names, i do not lie when i say i am surprised.

I'm listening to the Beatles at the moment, they're not that popular.

What qualifies as unpopular? Not well-known, or known and hated?

If it's the former, Neurosis. They're easily one of the top 5 innovators in Metal, having created just about everything aside from prog and melodic death since the early 90's. Just about nobody knows them, though. I like it that way.

If it's the latter, I used to love Good Charlotte.

---------- Post added 2011-08-26 at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    i really don't get the nickelback phobia, it's like hating nickleback suddenly became the cool thing to do back in the day.

Not my favorite band by any stretch of the imagination but they are really not as bad as people make them out to be.
    Ohhh, I could definitely give you a massive laundry list about Nickelback if I wanted to. That would kill the point of the thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    What qualifies as unpopular? Not well-known, or known and hated?
    either or, mainly leaning towards the known and hated. obviously most people will recognize the bands i listed, i just find they are not well liked by many people.

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 03:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    If it's the latter, I used to love Good Charlotte..
    LOL i haven't even thought about that band since like, middle school.

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 03:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    I listen to psychobilly, gothabilly, and horror rock/punk primarily.
    Not only does no one know what those genres are, even less would be able to name a single band(other than The Misfits for horror punk maybe).
    So:
    Nekromantix
    The Creepshow
    The Meteors
    Koffin Kats
    Zombina and the Skeletones
    Blitzkid
    Zombie Ghost Train

Those are just a few. If any of you recognize even one of those names, i do not lie when i say i am surprised.
    I recognize a few (Nekromantix / Creepshow) i would probably recognize some of the others if i heard them aswell. i used to date a guy who listened to alot of horror rock / whatever you call it.

I kinda liked it, but it wasn't really my style, i like laid back music.

For known and hated: Kanye West

For simply being unknown: Colour Haze

Deleted
    Sorry, I had to. On topic: Ashes Divide, Ghost Brigade, People In Planes, Defeater, Callisto. (My top5 in these parts.)
    Could be terribly wrong, so do bash me

Edit: Okay, misunderstood OP (more like didn't read it at all). >.<
    Last edited by mmoc25027c7169; 2011-08-27 at 03:53 AM. Reason: I suck.

Isomnium
    Devil Driver
    Solution .45
    Brokenkites
    Scar Symmetry
    Sybreed
    The Mercury Arc

All are amazing bands that I'm pretty sure aren't main stream.

I listen to heavy metal, so I rarely meet anyone who likes the same music as me. Although I occasionally meet people who will say they like heavy metal too and list stuff like Linkin Park, which they think is heavy metal. Sigh...

15+ Year Old Account
    That song Rebecca Black sang, which got her death threats, was so bad that it was addicting. It's like watching a 50's horror movie. I like listening to geek rock, so there's a lot of things nobody has heard of in there.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

I'm a Bum Sick fan. I doubt many people have even heard of them, so does that count as 'unpopular'?

As far as "Hated", at least amongst the metal crowd... hmm

I love Disturbed, and I like Linkin Park's first two albums.

And as far as unknown, has anyone ever heard of "Whispered"? Yea, thought not. Really good melodic death metal from... Finland I think.

And to completely de-metalfy myself, "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" has been stuck on repeat for about 2 hours... seriously the best love song ever.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2011-08-27 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    That song Rebecca Black sang, which got her death threats, was so bad that it was addicting. It's like watching a 50's horror movie. I like listening to geek rock, so there's a lot of things nobody has heard of in there.
    dude offtopic but i'm a bad movie aficionado, i would rather watch some cheesey 50's horror movie and make fun of it then any of the crap hollywood makes these days :P

Quote Originally Posted by gvd13 View Post
    I listen to heavy metal, so I rarely meet anyone who likes the same music as me. Although I occasionally meet people who will say they like heavy metal too and list stuff like Linkin Park, which they think is heavy metal. Sigh...
    Its an exaggeration that its hard to find heavy metal loving friends. Heavy metal is one of the most loved genres out there. They only reason people say they can't find heavy metal loving friends is because heavy metal fans tend to not socialize, consider themselves a small group when in reality its quite big, or consider other people's taste in metal not "true metal".

Also I'll go with the Op's examples. Good bands that receive lots hate from hipsters who backstab bands once they turn successful no matter if they are still the same, or people who just generaly hate on indie bands. Not a big fan of indie music myself but I give credit where its due.
    Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    or the mystical third option, which involves handcuffs and lubricant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I seriously think some people picture the higher ups at Blizzard as a group of guys in suits sitting around an office wearing giant hats made out of $100 bills and smoking giant cigars rolled out of $100 bills saying to each other "How can we piss off out players this week? Muhahahahaha!"

Deleted
    Bowling For Soup's very entertaining.

I was just raping sub pvp listening to my psycho mix of demented are go / meteors/ batmobile / nekromantix. And more.