I need some help.

So, I'm looking to purchase a new computer, but I'm fairly clueless as to how the different ensembles work. Therefore, I've come to you, the wonderful forum dwellers of MMO-Champ.
    Some details:
    -I'm a student, so ludicrously prized setups aren't an option. I'm not looking at the a bare bones deal, but I can't devote a room in my house for cooling it.

-Ideally, I'd like something that can run games at a decent quality level, and something that won't be obsolete in the next 3 months. Being able to run something like Guild Wars 2, or other big games with that level of visual detail would be again, ideal, even if they needed to be run at low quality settings.

So, yeah. Any help is appreciated, a point in the right direction, the sort of the things I should look for, and should avoid, etc.
    Thanks you beautiful people.

Deleted
    Where do you live?
    What's your budget?
    Are you willing to Overclock?
    Will you need a Win7 copy?
    Do you have pancake mix?

I live in Canada,
    my budget is flexible, but sub-1000 dollars would be ideal.
    I don't know how to overclock, or the process involved, so I doubt I'd be able to without causing damage.
    No, already have one.
    And I don't know what that is, sorry.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloam View Post
    I live in Canada,
    my budget is flexible, but sub-1000 dollars would be ideal.
    I don't know how to overclock, or the process involved, so I doubt I'd be able to without causing damage.
    No, already have one.
    And I don't know what that is, sorry.
    Thanks
    No pancakes?:O What about strawberryjam cookies
    I suggest looking at the "Sweet Spot build" (it's somewhere in the sticky index) and make a mix of the $700 and $1000 build on newegg.ca.
    the $700 build with the videocard from the $1000 build will give awesome results.

Do you work for Newegg/Egghead

Thanks much though, I am upgrading sometime soon too, I appreciate seeing such detail in a response. Cheers!

Btw, does anyone think it's about the same price to go with a raid 0, 2X 500gig HD's, or even 2X 300gig's? I use raid 0 now on an older machine and love the extra load/save speeds. I had someone do it for me before, dunno the software costs, adapter costs... and probably makes sense that different "specialized" hardware might be needed.

To any not knowing, raid 0 is using 2 HD's, running at the same time, to save/read alternating bits/bytes between the 2 drives, nearly doubling HD i/o speeds. The "Con" is when one goes out, they both go out, backup occasionally haha
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-08-27 at 06:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would change the mobo
    to this Just to support future upgrades through SLi.
    I would change the cpu cooler
    to this Because it's on massive sale and already has 2 fans to beat the 212

Otherwise /signed

10+ Year Old Account
    Just going to throw in my recommendation for buying parts in Canada.. NCIX.com price matches all other canadian e-tailers, so you can get stuff for insane prices. Just go to shopbot.ca and find the lowest price, and follow the price match instructions on the NCIX shopping cart page.

Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    Btw, does anyone think it's about the same price to go with a raid 0, 2X 500gig HD's, or even 2X 300gig's? I use raid 0 now on an older machine and love the extra load/save speeds. I had someone do it for me before, dunno the software costs, adapter costs... and probably makes sense that different "specialized" hardware might be needed.

To any not knowing, raid 0 is using 2 HD's, running at the same time, to save/read alternating bits/bytes between the 2 drives, nearly doubling HD i/o speeds. The "Con" is when one goes out, they both go out, backup occasionally haha
    You don't need any software or adapters, as almost all motherboards support hardware RAID, and so do several operating systems (software raid). If you think the speed is worth it over the potential failure, go for it.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sourced from Fuzzykins you can select either of these three builds and they will play the games you want at the settings you want. All within your budget. I suggest NCIX.com for your Canadian purchases. Prices are in US but that isn't an issue in Canada.

$500 Build
    Case: Thermaltake V3 Black $39.99
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D 380W $44.99
    Motherboard: AsRock H61M-VS $59.99
    Processor: Intel Core i3 2100 $124.99
    CPU Cooler: Stock - Free
    RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) $34.99
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB $44.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: Galaxy GTS 450 $124.99
    Total: 519.92 USD

$700 Build