Deleted

Could use some help!

Hey guys, I'm pretty chubby because I pretty much gamed for 2 years and never left my chair
    I don't eat junk food and I eat a lot of fruit but I do like no excercise at all. I bought 2 weight of 2 kilos each (4.4 pounds each). What are some basic excercises and tips to lose some weight and build some muscle? Much appreciated!

Find a gym or get a treadmill or elliptical. 30+ min of cardio is needed. Little weights won't build any muscle - you need more resistance than that.

If you have an iphone, get the MyFitnessPal app at least. They have a website too I believe, I've never used it though, probably has the same features though.

Get the GymGoal app if you want to gain muscle too.

Bobybuilding.com forums is a better place to read if you're serious about getting in shape.

Deleted
    I'm not that hardcore I just want to be a bit more fit.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bb.com is not "hardcore", it's filled with average people like the people here. Go to the nutrition forums, & read up. Oh, & get the app.

Quote Originally Posted by kroden View Post
    Find a gym or get a treadmill or elliptical. 30+ min of cardio is needed. -snip
    Very important, also FIND A GYM BUDDY!

You will not be able to go to the gym alone for a very long time without dropping it like a stone, having a buddy will increase the chance that you will stay at the gym for years to come.

Try to go at least 3 times a week, preferably in secession. Also cardio can wait for a week or two after you start depending on your heart health, I started cardio a week in because I had to build up a tolerance to high activity after being inactive for so long.

Deleted
    hmmm to lose fat you need to cardio, not lifts and shit - that's to build and define muscle. It depends on how strong you are as well, i know guys who go running with 2kg weights to add resistance. But yeah if you want to lose fat you should run and cycle etc.

For building muscle - assuming you mean arms because you bought a pair of dumbbells - I would do standard bicep curls for biceps, the front part. Make sure you do them properly to have an actual effect, that means straight back no swaying back and forth, start with one of the ends of the dumbbell resting against your leg then curl your arm till it touches your chest. For triceps, which happen to make up over 70% of the muscle on your upper arm, i would do kickbacks or raise and lower the weight behind your head. I think you should invest in a set of disc dumbbells that let you change the weight, you want more weight but less reps to build muscle bulk so try and get a weight you can do about 5 reps with before it's too hard. Then do sets of 3-5-3 reps. Eventually you'll be able to do a lot more, as soon as you can do 15+ move onto a higher weight.

Hope I helped

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cardio isn't necessary to lose weight, just like weightlifting isn't just for building muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikomei_TFC View Post
    Cardio isn't necessary to lose weight, just like weightlifting isn't just for building muscle.

I think you are refering to a 130 bpm fat burn exercise?

Cardio should be a goal if you can't do it tbh, it helps heart health.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodygrinder View Post
    I think you are refering to a 130 bpm fat burn exercise?

Cardio should be a goal if you can't do it tbh, it helps heart health.
    No, he's referring to the fact that weight loss isn't dependent on aerobic exercise. Caloric deficit is what causes you to lose weight. Both cardio and weightlifting can help you burn calories, making that deficit easier to achieve.

Do NOT lose the weight too quickly unless you want to end up with lots of loose, excess skin. Good guideline - aim for 1-2 lbs a week. Make sure your weight loss program includes weight lifting to help you preserve lean muscle. Of course, make to stay hydrated to help maintain the skins elasticity. Eating properly is another big thing. Protein-rich foods like milk, legumes, beans, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, tofu and nuts all are made up of collagen and elastin forming ingredients. Good to have 100-200 calories worth of protein (a gram of protein is 4 calories each, so that is between 25g and 50g of protein) after your workout for the best absorption. Daily exfoliation helps as well by helping to increase circulation in the skin (exfoliating is not just for us ladies, men should be doing it too! Skin is skin, we both have it - durp).
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

I always found that working your backside off 8-12 hours a day at a job worked pretty well.

Deleted
    As some other say, i would rather try to get out and run 2-3 times a week and then keep increasing the distances and times.

Here is a good site

Hey man, well the best option I would go for is while waiting in LFD queue do some sit ups and press ups that's the best way to make use of your gaming time hehe

If you've gained weight, it's got to partially be eating habits too. A lot of people like to find other things to blame besides food, but the primary cause of weight gain and loss is calories in/calories out. Sitting on your ass all day will mess with your metabolism and make you lose muscle, but it doesn't magically make you fat.

I recommend getting your diet in control as well as working out. This is a good guide that got me started on my weight loss. Remember, they say "abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym" for a reason.

As far as exercise goes, lifting two 4-5 pound dumbbells won't do much of anything. If you can't or don't want to get a gym membership, start running outdoors and youtube search body weight exercises. Briefly moving with minimal effort will yield no visible results.

You say "hardcore" when people give you advice, but getting in shape requires dedication. If you aren't willing to work for it, you'll never achieve it. You don't have to be perfect (hell, I eat bad a few times a week and even skip work outs sometimes), but you still have to put in effort. If educating yourself on how to lose weight is "hardcore," you won't see results.