Problem with Monitor

Today i saw a bargain, a 22 inch Samsung 226bw monitor. Ok, it was 2nd hand (but in a place where i have brought many things and not 1 has ever broken down). Came home, plugged it in. 1st of all no pic at all when PC was booting up, 2nd (and most importantly) the picture wasn't right. i had to move my mouse to the edge of the current screen and it scrolled around the screen. I thought ok, resolution may be messed up.....tried loads of diff res but the only one that worked was 1024xsomething......now i dunno,but surely that's not the right one for it yes? My old 19 inch runs at 1280x1024 for christ sake. I downloaded the driver for it and installed that but nothing different.

Best way i can describe it is if there was a webpage where the picture is too big to fit the current screen and u have to use the scroll bars to see it all.

I'm begging for some help out there folks!Also is it normal for Display settings menu to show as there being a 1st screen and a 2nd one?

Will take snap shops and post em if it helps, just please,i wanna enjoy a bigger screen!

Gene

---------- Post added 2011-08-28 at 12:03 AM ----------

As additional, a friend suggested using Nvidia control panel to reset to default on all settings and when i did so, the pc seems to think i have a TV connected :S again i'm hoping there's a hero out there

The resolution should be 1650 x 1050.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Sounds like your PC is a little confused about the new screen. A 22" Samsung LCD-TFT should boast a max. resolution of either 1650x1050 or possibly even 1920x1080 on younger models. If installed correctly, this resolution should also be the max. available.

If possible, you should be connecting your monitor with your PC via a DVI-D or HDMI cable rather than the old VGA cable.

If that doesn't help, check the monitor settings and see if it has the proper driver installed (although it shouldn't really need one). You might also want to uninstall/reinstall your GPU drivers. But now I'm just guessing.

Yeah i saw that was the resolution, even tried setting it upto that and all i ended up with was a scroll around desktop -.- I am using a DVI cable to connect it BUT i ask is there different types of DVI cables?the one i have is very very old so could that be the problem? As i said the monitor doesn't show any of the bios/windows start up untill the log on screen. I've just done a re-install of the drivers but have to goto work so i can't test it as of yet, i'm just wondering if it could now be the cable not sending the right signal to the monitor or visa-versa

Usually when you have multiple monitors, only one will show up during the boot sequence, like the BIOS and such. Depends on the card. Sometimes even having it in the secondary port on the card instead of primary will do that. And you don't have a high enough resolution to have to worry about a dual Link DVI cable, you would need to go over 1920x1200.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Ok,well the 2nd "phantom" screen has now disappeaered but i'm still getting the madness of scroll around desktop. Does anyone else have any ideas? i suppose i should add i have a GF 9800 GT 512meg graphics card in case there's some kind of problem with compatability. I have also changed the DVI port i plugged the monitor into just in case it was that

What you're describing is what happens when the resolution chosen is larger than the resolution your computer can support. USUALLY however, it just gives you an out of range message on the monitor and blanks out. I had it happen once a really long time ago, but that was Windows 98.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Well,my computer's not that old, put it together about 6 months ago. It's just weird that (ignoring size of icons etc) if i switch the resolution to 1024x768 (don't quote me on the last figure) it goes right. I updated my nvidia drivers as well. Is it possible that my graphics card just doesn't want to know? Is there any more details i can give you?

EDIT:-
    looked up the specs of my GPU and it's well within it's max res it can handle. I'm seriously contemplating doing a reinstall of windows XP -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Genestealer View Post
    Well,my computer's not that old, put it together about 6 months ago. It's just weird that (ignoring size of icons etc) if i switch the resolution to 1024x768 (don't quote me on the last figure) it goes right. I updated my nvidia drivers as well. Is it possible that my graphics card just doesn't want to know? Is there any more details i can give you?

EDIT:-
    looked up the specs of my GPU and it's well within it's max res it can handle. I'm seriously contemplating doing a reinstall of windows XP -.-
    Or you could get windows 7
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Try wiping the drivers out completely before reinstalling the new ones. ie use DriverCleaner and/or DriverSweeper in Safe Mode, after uninstalling the drivers in a normal session. Then reboot to normal again and install. Other than that, no clue.

Tried the damn thing on a Vista PC and it worked OK, didn't goto the correct Res but i'm assuming that's coz she only has a on-board GPU. Going to do a re-install of windows anyway so will try that.....and if it doesn't work it's going back!