Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Looking to try Absinthe

I'm looking into trying Absinthe... Anyone have personal experiences with it? Anything I should lookout for? I know it's not sold in the US so I'll have to buy out of country... Anyone know a good website I could purchase from as well? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurou View Post
    I'm looking into trying Absinthe... Anyone have personal experiences with it? Anything I should lookout for? I know it's not sold in the US so I'll have to buy out of country... Anyone know a good website I could purchase from as well? :P
    I'm not even sure you're allowed to buy it and import it yourself without license. I may be wrong on that. /shrug.

Pretty sure that is very illegal.

Try someplace shadier.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm not even sure you're allowed to buy it and import it yourself without license. I may be wrong on that. /shrug.
    I researched the laws on it. It's legal to purchase and own in the United States. It's legal to purchase from another country where it is legal to sell it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurou View Post
    I researched the laws on it. It's legal to purchase and own in the United States. It's legal to purchase from another country where it is legal to sell it as well.
    http://www.ttb.gov/itd/impreq.shtml

Well, seems like you have to at least go to customs.

Q: Do I need a permit to import beverage alcohol products for my own use?

A: The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) only regulates importation for commercial use. If you wish to import for your personal use on an infrequent basis, you must contact U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) (former U.S. Customs Service) for information on taxes and duties. CBP determines if you are importing for commercial or personal use. You must also contact the State where you plan to ship the products to determine if any State laws on direct shipping apply.

The *real* Absinthe , it's illegal

They change the recipe without the THC stuff , so my guess it's legal , at least in Canada it's legal.

Personal experience , blah ... highly alcholic (50%) anise drink , diluted in water with a boil spoon of sugar.
    Taste pretty much like Ricard , another French spirit with anise ( taste pretty much like Sambucca or black licorice)

My guess it , it's just the presentation thats it's fancy stuff. You get a glass or two , but you don't drink the bottle

Its 70% legal in canada, just a stronger dose of alchohol, nothing else, i tried it.

Heres a clue: http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores...&top_category=

Question whatever you take for granted.

Deleted
    I have a 85% Absinthe at home. Haven't dared try it yet, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    If its the same one I tried, it's like drinking fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    If its the same one I tried, it's like drinking fire.
    Yeah I imagine. Think I'll "share" it at some house parties in the near future, obviously omitting how strong it is
    Last edited by mmoc64e39b9c60; 2011-08-28 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    god, I'm such a terrible drinker. I can't imagine trying that.

Deleted
    Why anyone would ever go through the trouble of buying something like that out of the country is beyond me.

I guess I had "fake" absinthe, had to melt sugar into it, it tastes like black licorice. (yuck) Also, I thought taking a shot of it straight was a good idea, worst. idea. ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    the legal absynthe is kind of overrated. its simply the "mistery" around the drink that makes it funny. so just go in a store, buy a flask, buy a set of the special glases and instruments if you feel fancy and enioy the "show". as the drink is simply an anis-flafoured sprit its really only about the show ...

and high percentage alcohol doesnt mean it is like drinking fire or anything. absynthe is mostly drunken watered down and with sugar. and you are not meant to jug it like a jägermeister shot ...

as for example the really old whisky my father had one time had over 80% alc. to drink such a liquid form of art in one jug is just blasphemy. and as every tiny sip costs around 5€ its meant to be savoured without haste.

stay classy

You can get it in the US, it just won't have the (supposed) hallucinogenic part in it

15+ Year Old Account
    It's gross and any absinthe you find in NA won't contain what you're looking for. If you want to know what it tastes like stuff your mouth with old fashioned licorice and take a shot of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjona View Post
    You can get it in the US, it just won't have the (supposed) hallucinogenic part in it
    Or that's what I had, I honestly couldn't tell you.

Destryr
    I was in europe a few years back. And my family brought some back... Too bad i was younger then and couldnt have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Or that's what I had, I honestly couldn't tell you.
    Probably. That said: I think a lot of the 'trip' you receive from Absinthe has a lot to do with the placebo effect. You think you should trip and so your mind makes it real. I'm still skeptical that properly made Absinthe actually makes you trip like people say it does (my older brother and I accredited the rumor to people just doing dumb shit while drunk and blaming that the Absinthe made them 'hallucinate' to get away with it)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda curious what happens if you set it on fire... considering some are 70-85% alcohol which is way over 100 proof (50%) where its 'safer', so to speak.