Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How are Shamans for Soloing old content?

Whats the best spec as shaman for soloing old content and what are shamans actually able to solo?

Deleted
    enh, maelstorm GHW is king

Quote Originally Posted by snocka View Post
    enh, maelstorm GHW is king
    Constant healing and good damage? I like taking it easy while soloing old content, dont want things to get too hectic.

As resto i'm able to pull alot of trash and still live, just can take a while to kill all of them.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    enhancement is the way to go I think

Deleted
    Something like this perhaps.

1. DK
    2. Lock/Hunter
    3. Druid/Paladin
    4. Shaman

But it depends on lvl of content, amount of magic/melee dmg and more.

In lvl 80(wotlk heroics) enviroment where Warriors still can use victory rush they can be real juggernauts.

There is a post somewhere what shaman can and have soloed so far, Enh is way to go but Ele can do nicly aswell.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can solo the following in my pvp elemental spec.

UBRS: All
    MC: All
    BWL: all, except the 1st boss
    AQ20: all, the first boss can be a lil hassle, but doable
    AQ40: Prophet, Bug Family, Battleguard, the boss before Viscidus, Princess
    Karazhan: all
    Gruul: all
    Maggie: all
    SSC: that water elemental, lurker, karatress (very hard, ain't recommending), Morogrim, Leothoras
    TK: Al'ar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas (very hard, not recommending, only did it twice).
    MH: All, but Archimonde (bugger hits hard, haven't been able to solo as of yet, enhancement should be doable).
    BT: that naga, first boss, can not be solo'd. Did Supremus, Akama, Teron Gorefiend (Teron is a zerg boss, do it fast or you die) and Gurtogg (very hard, not recommended) solo. RoS could not be solo'd. Delrissa solo. Council and Illidan solo (very highly not recommended for beginners).
    Sunwell: too hard to solo, only Felmyst solo'd.

Note that the following bosses hit very hard and you should have experience in TBC content more. All of these have been done on normal.

Naxx10: solo'd Bug Quarter and Plague Quarter. Razuvious can not be solo'd. Gothik solo'd (hard, not recommended, much damage). Four Horseman can not be solo'd. Patchwerk, Grobbulus and Gluth solo'd. Thaddius not. Sapphiron solo'd, Kel'Thuzad attempted, but Frost Blast killed me (it is possible, as far as I saw, just need to keep up Healing Rain (which consumes quite an amount of mana).
    OS: the first 3 drakes are solo'd, Sartharion not (still in progress)
    EoE: don't even attempt Malygos.

The rest is too hard for now.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Well if I go any old places I only have PvP gear, and really only play resto, so what I do is keep earth shield until 50%ish mana, then it's water. Besides that I just flame shock everything and fire nova, along with magma totem and riptide - Rarely need to use anything else.

Will throw up a Fire Elemental totem if I need a dps boost.

I solo MC weekly, very easy.

OS: the first 3 drakes are solo'd, Sartharion not (still in progress)
    How did you solo the drake that becomes invincible and needs you to go into the portal to kill the mob there?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    How did you solo the drake that becomes invincible and needs you to go into the portal to kill the mob there?
    I'd suggest killing him before getting invincible... or leave your Earth Elemental out there when going into the portal

Quote Originally Posted by cybo View Post
    Something like this perhaps.

1. DK
    2. Lock/Hunter
    3. Druid/Paladin
    4. Shaman

But it depends on lvl of content, amount of magic/melee dmg and more.

In lvl 80(wotlk heroics) enviroment where Warriors still can use victory rush they can be real juggernauts.

There is a post somewhere what shaman can and have soloed so far, Enh is way to go but Ele can do nicly aswell.
    I don't think you can successfully rate between warlock/hunter, druid/paladin and shaman since they all shine at completely different fights. For example, warlocks/hunters are screwed for mechanics with Mind Controls (first boss AQ40 for example), sometimes Paladins and Druids can't get enough healing out to keep them up and sometimes Shaman are just too squishy for a boss. Given that it's totally encounter based, ranking them like that is unreliable. I also believe that if you looked at the encounters each could solo there'd be a lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by zylya View Post
    I don't think you can successfully rate between warlock/hunter, druid/paladin and shaman since they all shine at completely different fights. For example, warlocks/hunters are screwed for mechanics with Mind Controls (first boss AQ40 for example), sometimes Paladins and Druids can't get enough healing out to keep them up and sometimes Shaman are just too squishy for a boss. Given that it's totally encounter based, ranking them like that is unreliable. I also believe that if you looked at the encounters each could solo there'd be a lot different.
    Warlock can solo Kael. I don't think a lil bit of mind control is going to discourage them.

And this is based on the averaged amount of bosses, or hardest bosses. I feel that this ranking stands.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    either kill him (he has less then a million health) or leave out an earth elemental, as suggested before.

Sartharion has 2.5m health and should be doable tbh. I just never attempted it (had some problems with Tenebron and the Twilight Whelps, I was half-asleep :<).

Sartharion drops 185g, so it still makes me tempted to try it again (WTB Got My Mind On My Money achievement, all my gold comes from Auction House >.>).

Honestly, Magtheridon is even harder then Shadron (that's the name of your immunity dragon)

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 01:24 PM ----------

Warlock can solo Kael. I don't think a lil bit of mind control is going to discourage them.

And this is based on the averaged amount of bosses, or hardest bosses. I feel that this ranking stands.
    can't Mind Control be purged by the Felhunter?
    Last edited by Schadow; 2011-08-29 at 11:23 AM. Reason: clarification.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Maybe it's just my better experience and gear on my Shaman versus my Druid or Paladin (haven't got a max-level hunter or warlock so can't say for them) but I've found a lot of stuff easier to solo on my Shaman than I've found stuff easier with a Druid or Paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    either kill him (he has less then a million health) or leave out an earth elemental, as suggested before.

Sartharion has 2.5m health and should be doable tbh. I just never attempted it (had some problems with Tenebron and the Twilight Whelps, I was half-asleep :<).

Sartharion drops 185g, so it still makes me tempted to try it again (WTB Got My Mind On My Money achievement, all my gold comes from Auction House >.>).

Honestly, Magtheridon is even harder then Shadron (that's the name of your immunity dragon)

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 01:24 PM ----------

can't Mind Control be purged by the Felhunter?
    Can't be purged but MC can be very very easily LoS'd using the pillars at the back of his room. If your solo he wont MC And if your a pet class you can LoS the MC if yor both position and time it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely solo as Enhancement

Wolves, Maelstrom Weapon, Infinite Mana, Great DPS, and Shamanistic Rage make for pretty good healing and survivability
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    I can solo the following in my pvp elemental spec.

AQ40: Prophet
    Gruul: all
    Maggie: all
    TK: Kael'thas (very hard, not recommending, only did it twice).
    Got any videos of these?

Prophet interrupts almost every cast you do.

Ogre council is just crazy and even difficult/luck dependant for DKs.

Mag does too much dps (with adds, I've never managed to burst them down as ele due to casting knockback) to be able to heal and dps.

Kael'thas I really have to see.

Ele is just generally poor at soloing because it doesn't have instant heals, can't dps at the same time and has crappy defensive cooldowns so I don't see how those are possible.
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2011-08-29 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    Got any videos of these?

Prophet interrupts almost every cast you do.

Ogre council is just crazy and even difficult/luck dependant for DKs.

Mag does too much dps (with adds, I've never managed to burst them down as ele due to casting knockback) to be able to heal and dps.

Kael'thas I really have to see.

Ele is just generally poor at soloing because it doesn't have instant heals, can't dps at the same time and has crappy defensive cooldowns so I don't see how those are possible.
    I've done Prophet in AQ40 as Elemental, you've basically gotta be quick with Stoneclaw Shield to keep yourself alive (summon it and dismiss it). When there's just one prophet, if you're in melee range then he stops casting his Earth Shock (with interrupt). Make sure you heal yourself back up to full before DPSing again, as once he splits everything gets interrupted. Just get Flame Shocks on as many things as possible and Fire Novas to take the adds down (anything instant is fine here) and use the Stoneclaw summon + dismiss to keep yourself alive. Once the adds are dead (shouldn't take too long) then you get back to the non-Earth Shock phase again. From there it's really simple to repeat.

I used to solo tons on my shaman as enhance. At first I used the PvP set for the increased chance to proc maelstroms. As my gear got better I just wore my raiding stuff.
    I solo'd Zul'Aman (the lvl 70 version), MC, AQ20, some of AQ40, Mags, SSC (Lurker, Hydros, Leotheres) Tempest Keep (alar, solarmancer) and Doom Lord Kazzak or the giant robot dude if they were ever alive (they were barely ever alive) every week.
    I also solo'd Hyjal once, took me like 4 hours, only died once and it was on Archimonde. I didn't try it again after the nerf to tremor totem. Felt pretty good.

I've done rep grinding on TBC heroics, also tried lvl 80 instances but I had done them so many times at lvl 80 it just wasn't fun. I was also tried to solo some of the Cata dungeons, but it was pretty intense sometimes. I was pretty disapointed when I went in with my horribly geared DK and it was way easier. As a shaman in cata dungeons you'll have to make full use of your 2 CC's and the fact that your wolves and earth ele can grab aggro for a short while.

Just remember to focus on survivability instead of Dps. Always heal with maelstroms, unless you are at 100% health or your wolves are out. Earth Ele and wolves can be a great aggro drop for certain situations.