Poll: Your favorite gameplay type?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Yeah, you had a party leader but (its been a while) if I remember correctly you can still give commands to each of your party members. If you chose not to give your party members commands though, they played themselves. Which was nice if you're more of a hands off RPG-er but sometimes they AI sucked (Like Saboteurs continually cast the same spell till it works regardless of how much it helps)

I also loved 12 in the sense that once you got all the gambits you can sit there and let it play itself, but you also had the option of using summons or limits (many of which were like bat shit insane cool).

Love your avatar btw.
    Thanks, yours makes me want to go play KH2 again :P

The gambits basically took all the little decisions and made them all pre-game stuff. If you lost to a boss because you're party all got petrified, Status:stone->Gold needle/Esuna. Heals not going off fast enough? Raise the percent at which your healer starts casting, or set up potions or an alternate healer. And then there's the crazy stuff with Reverse and Decoy and you could make buffs never fall off, or counter strong magics with reflect, and then have that reflect status tie into another gambit that makes your healer use potions instead. And quickenings were total fun OP. Also, trying to get Espers to cast their ultimate with fancy gambits right at the start. It's kind of like setting up 3 complex machines to all work together and beat the snot out of something. And when it worked, it just worked.

And then you could put it all to test against an hours-long boss fight. Yes. That's why it's tied for my favorite game.

When I got Dragon Age: Origins and saw that you could do some of that same stuff, I had lots of fun setting that up... though, the AI wasn't as good. :/

/nerdsplosion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    -SNIP-
    Yeah, it made you think about your encounters and which bosses you were fighting. That and if you gave everyone gold bangles (or whatever it was that doubled license point generation) you could fill up the entire top half of the license board and make it to where everyone could use every spell, technick and item so that no matter how bad shit got you always had a way out.

Right now I'm stuck in Archades on 12 because it's been like a year since i've played it and i've forgotten what to do and where to go...

Replaying Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 right now and fucking loving it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

It's hard to pick between turn based and real time. I loved the battle system in FFX-2 but I also loved the one in Star ocean 3-4 ALOT. Resonance of Fate has a pretty good combat system if you can get used to it.

I'd have to pick Real Time if its done right like in the star ocean series.

edit:

replaying ff12 atm and I'm having fun but that might be more with the fact that I love the ivalice setting and not so much the system.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2011-08-29 at 07:51 AM.

Over 80% of the games I enjoy playing are turn based, so I'll have to go with it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Yeah, it made you think about your encounters and which bosses you were fighting. That and if you gave everyone gold bangles (or whatever it was that doubled license point generation) you could fill up the entire top half of the license board and make it to where everyone could use every spell, technick and item so that no matter how bad shit got you always had a way out.

Right now I'm stuck in Archades on 12 because it's been like a year since i've played it and i've forgotten what to do and where to go...

Replaying Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 right now and fucking loving it though.
    I need to play all three of these over again. Need to use more technicks, actually kill Yiazmat this time, and actually play KH1 and 2 on Proud Mode. And beat some more Sephiroth, aw yeah.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 04:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    It's hard to pick between turn based and real time. I loved the battle system in FFX-2 but I also loved the one in Star ocean 3-4 ALOT. Resonance of Fate has a pretty good combat system if you can get used to it.

I'd have to pick Real Time if its done right like in the star ocean series.

edit:

replaying ff12 atm and I'm having fun but that might be more with the fact that I love the ivalice setting and not so much the system.
    Ivalice is by far my favorite Final Fantasy setting. So much so that I tried to conceptually recreate the world map in Simcity 4.

Action and click I hate, I find it incredibly slow except for WoW's case, even then it depends on what class you play. Games like NWN are pretty fun as a caster, everything else is boring as hell in terms of gameplay in fact it's pretty much "auto" if you play a fighter or barb.

Turn-based I can't do either. Games like pokemon, FF7, etc. just doesn't do it for me, however there are -some- that are good such as turn-based tactical strategy where you move your characters like chess pieces on a board, those are very fun. And particularly Paper Mario is the only turn-based RPG I enjoyed a lot.

I started gaming in the N64 era so all my games were pretty much fast paced action-adventure platformers, so naturally action is the only RPG style I enjoy. Shooter-RPGs however I find are totally unappealing to me, I haven't found a single shooter-RPG that I didn't get bored of in the 1st hour of playing. I like a good FPS, which is hard to come by these days, but honestly headshots = critical shots just bores me, headshots in my FPS's = insta kill and I move on to the next target. Now Action-RPGs such as FF:crystal chronicles, Fable, (arguably) Legend of Zelda, Mystical Ninja, etc. are pretty amazing games. Though a big one like Tales of Symphonia I absolutely dread, I found it very boring. So Action>turn-based for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Turn-based I can't do either. Games like pokemon, FF7, etc.
    To clarify, FF7 had an active battle guage. It wasn't turn based like Lord of the Rings: The Third Age or FFX. It was more like FFX-2
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Action by a large margin and it will win the poll.

FPSMMOs /drool

Toss up between turn based and action, tho leaning towards more turn based.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

10+ Year Old Account
    While i can say ff12 grew on me i still disliked the fact that the game played itself.

You are mixing single player games with MMO. Either do a poll for single player RPGs or for MMOs.
    As far as I know there aren't many turn based MMOs out there, I only know Atlantica Online.
    I generally prefer Western type RPGs which are usually more action based. That goes for both SP and MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    i picked action but my favorite is sort of like a hybrid between turn based and action. sort of like how the mario & lugi and paper mario RPG games are there arent much of those kind of RPG's but thats why i picked action because that would be my next favorite
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Turn Based, because most of my favourite RPG's are turn based. (Pokemon, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario)

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    While i can say ff12 grew on me i still disliked the fact that the game played itself.
    I felt the same way about both that and ff13 (which is strange, because I usually don't like games that play itself, except Ogre Battle 64 which is baller). There were enough things to do to keep me entertained though (giving specific commands to my party in 12 or timing each paradigm shift right to get off the extra attack in 13).

10+ Year Old Account
    I picked turn based, but it's not exactly true...I prefer a mixture of action and turn based, (but leaning more heavily towards turn) for example, one of my most favourite games is Vagrant Story, it's an action game insofar as you could move the main character around the screen, and enemies, at will, but when you went to attack, ingame time would pause, and the options would come up, what move to use, what target to hit, what it's resistances/weaknesses where and even what limb to hit...kind of like the VATS system from fallout...only so much cooler (imo, of course).

Turn based definitely, the story and character development are far more important to me than how many combo moves they can crank out with each button push.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last turn base rpg i enjoyed was lost odyssey,though last remnant had a lot of potential but I have mixed feelings about that game Love/hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no "anything but turn based" option.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who