My first steps to a 'real' gaming PC

Hello mmo-champion community!

This is usually the time of in every couple of years when I start thinking about getting a new computer, whether it be a laptop or desktop. For the past couple of years I have been running on a MBP 15 inch, and although it 'just' works for gaming, it doesn't really cut it. I am right now pleased with the state of my mac, and wish to buy a desktop PC, but specifically made for gaming.

Now let me just get this out of the way, my budget is a bit less than $1875, now I wouldn't mind going a few hundred dollars over if the change looks drastic, but lets just stick to that. Now excuse me if I am not being specific enough, but this is technically my first gaming PC I will actually buy. But I want a PC which should be able to run all future generation MMO's quite high, so stuff like Guild Wars 2, and RTS/RPG games, for example Starcraft II or Diablo 3 on high graphics.

I really don't plan on playing any FPS games hard-core; I always did prefer console for that. So genres which basically blizzard makes. All I am looking now is a set up, which would play the games smoothly, with high graphics and great speed. I already got the monitor, mouse and keyboard sorted out, planning on getting a 3D monitor, LED around 24 inch (any suggestions would be appreciated). I plan on getting this desktop in the near future, so I am talking maybe max 5 months from now, but I believe it is worth getting advice from now. If you guys believe waiting a bit would have better tech for better prices than I am willing to wait.

I am hoping to run XP on it, just because I am not familiar with windows 7. Bottom line I wish the desktop to run just for gaming, no office work etc...

Thanks for reading, sorry if it is a bit too long.

Take care
    Last edited by DeathKnight Guy; 2011-08-28 at 05:04 PM.
    \

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wollveren View Post
    I am hoping to run XP on it, just because I am not familiar with windows 7.
    Windows XP is old, and doesn't even support the latest DirectX, which means some games won't even run on that OS (Just Cause 2 comes to mind, but there are others - and more are added every day). Windows 7 isn't far from Windows XP in it's structure - it's still Windows - and if you are an experienced user it will not take long for you to feel comfortable with the differences and improvements/new features. Going for XP would seriously gimp your new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Windows XP is old, and doesn't even support the latest DirectX, which means some games won't even run on that OS (Just Cause 2 comes to mind, but there are others - and more are added every day). Windows 7 isn't far from Windows XP in it's structure - it's still Windows - and if you are an experienced user it will not take long for you to feel comfortable with the differences and improvements/new features. Going for XP would seriously gimp your new computer.
    Hmmm, that is a good point, yeah I guess I will put that into mind. I just thought that because no one gamed on a vista when it came out, and XP was more superior, I thought that would be the same case, but guess it isn't.
    \

10+ Year Old Account
    5 months... nearly 1/2 a year... before you buy? While I commend your forward thinking, technology and prices have this bad habit of fluctuating in very short time. Even 1-2 months out I wouldn't bother researching prices, maybe reviews so I'd know what components to definitely shy away from come time, but everything else is subject to change.

I am hoping to run XP on it, just because I am not familiar with windows 7. Bottom line I wish to just the desktop for gaming, no office work etc...
    I can't think of a less intelligent reason to stay @ xp. Esp when you build a new system it is THE moment to switch to a new operating system. Win7 is already 2,5 years old, it is not getting more stable then it is (and it is) and like the guy above me say, XP is old, way too old.

Go 7 already
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

Alright, well, I guess windows 7 is for sure now.
    \

Don't bother getting a 3d monitor.. you will end up not using it and regret spending so much on it. Get a good IPS panel monitor instead, like the dell ultrasharp http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-9270 ...increases the visual quality a ton in the standard 2d format you will actually use.

As others have said, use windows 7. You can even configure it to have the same look and feel as xp if that's what you prefer. It's a lot faster and more stable than xp, and supports all the modern software and what not. People stayed away from vista because it was buggy and sucked... windows 7 is awesome though so switch away xD

In 5-6 months there could be new generations of cpu's/gpu's out in which case any research you did now would be well out of date. Just make another thread about a week before you're ready to purchase.

Also, none of those games you quoted are very demanding, and you won't need to spend so much on a computer that can easily max them. Are there any more demanding games you want to play?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Don't bother getting a 3d monitor.. you will end up not using it and regret spending so much on it. Get a good IPS panel monitor instead, like the dell ultrasharp http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-9270 ...increases the visual quality a ton in the standard 2d format you will actually use.

As others have said, use windows 7. You can even configure it to have the same look and feel as xp if that's what you prefer. It's a lot faster and more stable than xp, and supports all the modern software and what not. People stayed away from vista because it was buggy and sucked... windows 7 is awesome though so switch away xD

In 5-6 months there could be new generations of cpu's/gpu's out in which case any research you did now would be well out of date. Just make another thread about a week before you're ready to purchase.

Also, none of those games you quoted are very demanding, and you won't need to spend so much on a computer that can easily max them. Are there any more demanding games you want to play?
    Hmm, you know I was thinking 3D just because most LED come with it, but yeah I really dont care about the 3-D, but the monitor you shown me, is it LED, not very familiar with terms so no idea what IPS is.

Yeah I just made this thread to acquire some basic information so I have a basic outline when next I ask for advice and start researching.

And to your gaming question, no I just plan on playing Blizzard genres, which mean MMO, RPG and RTS, so stuff like Gw2, WoW, Sc2, D3, Dota 2 and even dawn of war. But I set that budget as a maximum, so didn't really have to get to that limit. But if there was a PC exclusive game, like witcher 2. Then I would want it to be able to run.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Ominouscloud View Post
    5 months... nearly 1/2 a year... before you buy? While I commend your forward thinking, technology and prices have this bad habit of fluctuating in very short time. Even 1-2 months out I wouldn't bother researching prices, maybe reviews so I'd know what components to definitely shy away from come time, but everything else is subject to change.
    This.

Start thinking about it 2 weeks before you can buy it.

5 months in the computer world is an enternity.

Deleted
    Hmm, you know I was thinking 3D just because most LED come with it, but yeah I really dont care about the 3-D, but the monitor you shown me, is it LED, not very familiar with terms so no idea what IPS is.
    LED is the back lightning technology, usually side-lit and performs a bit better while using less power. An IPS-panel usually offers better colour quality over a regular TN-panel. The Dell U2311H is one of the best monitors you can get in the 23" and 1080p region.

Yeah I just made this thread to acquire some basic information so I have a basic outline when next I ask for advice and start researching.

And to your gaming question, no I just plan on playing Blizzard genres, which mean MMO, RPG and RTS, so stuff like Gw2, WoW, Sc2, D3, Dota 2 and even dawn of war. But I set that budget as a maximum, so didn't really have to get to that limit. But if there was a PC exclusive game, like witcher 2. Then I would want it to be able to run.
    Well in that case you can reach your goal around the $1100 mark, ($1400ish including monitor).
    And just save some money for later to upgrade your gpu after 2 and 4 years, to keep up with current games.

The one I linked doesn't have an LED backlight, but they do make some ultrasharps that do, like http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=320-2676
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Right then, got a lot of information about the PC, but it seems its best for me to wait 2-3 weeks before I purchase the computer. So I am leaving it here, again thanks to those who replied quickly, really appreciate it. All the best
    \