Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Advice to quit smoking

Long story short I am 18 and have been smoking for 3 years. I started heavily in my senior year of highschool when my parents got a divorce. 2-3 packs a day and managed to quit because the girl I was in love with helped me do it. We dated for 6 months and recently broke up when we got to college. I am now back onto smoking about 2-3 packs a day in college and have been told by many doctors my lungs are worse than most 30 year old smokers. I really need some help to stop this addiction because I am afraid I will soon get lung cancer and be past the point of saving. Does anyone have any positive feedback on how to help me stop this addiction? Gum never worked for me neither did patches. Any secret remedies to quit? I don't normally ask for help on this kind of thing but I really don't want to die when I am 25. Still so many things to see in the world, but the recent break up and stress from college has just put such a strain on my life. Smoking is the only way to calm me down.
    Last edited by Zaerick; 2011-08-29 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cold turkey, that's how I did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

First off, you need to be willing to stop smoking. If you don't want to stop there's no point in even trying, since you'll start again in 3-6 months. Been there.

It's a horrible addiction. No-one likes it, it's bad for you, it's bad for other people, it smells terrible, and it costs you a lot of money. Think of all the money you've spent on them so far and think of how much more you'll spend if you don't quit.

Hopefully that should give you a little more motivation. I'm not a smoker myself so I don't appreciate how addicting they might be, but it can't be bad enough for you to willingly risk your health and throw your money away.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I started using an E cig. I cant tell you how much money I'm saving. I smell better, my clothes dont stink. I dont have to be ashamed to be seen using it. It tastes better and is proven 100x healthier. At least look at the link. It's called the Omega. It hits like a real cigarette.

http://www.asmartsmoke.com/category-s/2711.htm

I really do want to quit but the school I go to bout 75% of the kids that go here smoke so even if I don't buy a pack I get offered them all the time. I have tried not buying them but friends always offer them to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehjoker View Post
    I started using an E cig. I cant tell you how much money I'm saving. I smell better, my clothes dont stink. I dont have to be ashamed to be seen using it. It tastes better and is proven 100x healthier. At least look at the link. It's called the Omega. It hits like a real cigarette.

http://www.asmartsmoke.com/category-s/2711.htm
    Are E cigs really that much safer or is that just crap? If so I might check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm it seems you are smoking for reasons to relieve stress or pain. I suggest trying other means to calm stress. Such as hobbies, spending time with friends, masturbation, smoking weed, or just plain going to the gym and work out in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    quit wow to start it off

Cold turkey. Show those fags who's boss!

Tell your friends you're trying to quit and not to offer you them... Or just don't go out with them for a smoke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    I really do want to quit but the school I go to bout 75% of the kids that go here smoke so even if I don't buy a pack I get offered them all the time. I have tried not buying them but friends always offer them to me.

Are E cigs really that much safer or is that just crap? If so I might check it out.
    Umm then ask your friends to help you not succumb to smoking. Like such as tell them can we do something else or can we do things besides smoking. Or just tell them to beat you up if you suggest smoking.

My uncle literally kicked the crap out my cousin when he found out about his smoking addiction. He has never touched it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    quit wow to start it off
    Not an option we just got rag 25 man down last week and moving into hardmodes. Me being one of 3 good resto shamans on our server I can't flat out leave my guild. The strain it would put on them is not the right thing to do. As for weed I can't do that I have been arrested twice for possession and anymore I will receive jail time.

I will try cold turkey starting this week and will ask my friends not to smoke around me but I doubt that will help really as for hobbies or fun things to take my mind off things there really aren't many around here I mean WoW is one but I really only log on now to raid. I guess maybe investing time into a new mmo might take my mind off of it. Or trying to get another girlfriend.
    Last edited by Zaerick; 2011-08-29 at 12:23 AM.

Always promised myself I'd quit, but struggled to go more than 2 days at a time without it. Smoked a pack a day since I was 16, that's for the last six years. Two months ago my girlfriend (who I care more about than anyone, have been together for a while now) was diagnosed with a thyroid problem. She had to quit smoking, she started because of me. I knew that in order for her to not have urges, triggers, and cravings I had to ditch it. Or I would be her main trigger. So I quit cold turkey. I bum one now and then, probably like 5 or 6 since I've technically 'quit'. But I don't buy cigarettes anymore and I feel much better. It's all about willpower and your primary motive. For me, the money wasn't enough. Neither was my own health. It was the threat to somebody who I loved.

Good luck.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Ecigs are proven safer. You can google it and find some good reports on it from unbiased sources.

Deleted
    GET good will, start sports like - jogging, swimming, cycling - everyday at least 90 min a day! ...
    EAT fruit or (if u aren't overwaight or if u don't have any sugger issues) sweets every time you get earge for a smoke.

TBH i mean isnt it easyest just to picture a full pic of your life? for example ... if u use 1 pack of ciggarets a day that's 2.5€... in 1 year that's 912.5€ ... with 900€ you can have some nice vecations or buy new pc or something. And on other hand smoking reduces your life, increases chances to get lung cancer and if you got a big heart and want to help others, you couldn't donate your organ if u died...

... i probably wasnt best cauncler but i said what i think :P ... just think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riperslo View Post
    TBH i mean isnt it easyest just to picture a full pic of your life? for example ... if u use 1 pack of ciggarets a day that's 2.5€... in 1 year that's 912.5€ ... with 900€ you can have some nice vecations or buy new pc or something..

... i probably wasnt best cauncler but i said what i think :P ... just think about it.
    I have spent well over 2 grand in 3 years on them money was never an issue since I had a well paying job in highschool. Shit sucks. I am going to go to bed early for now thanks for the advice anymore advice will be read tomorrow morning thankyou all.

This is how I did it.

1. Mindset - Convince yourself that you can do it. If you don't believe in it, you might as well not try

2. Keep busy - Make sure you have something to do. If you are busy with something else you can't smoke in the meantime. Also it keeps you distracted.

3. Cold turkey - Yes it sucks, but imho its the only thing that works. You'll feel sick for a few days, then it will turn around and you'll start feeling better.

Good luck kicking it

Deleted
    I really don't want to die when I am 25. Still so many things to see in the world
    Then quit smoking.
    The problem with smokers is, they always find more excuses to continue smoking. Don't get me wrong, I'm a smoker myself but if you really want to quit, then just go cold turkey.

If you don't want to quit for the full 100% then you will never ever make it. Just stop making excuses for yourself to mask your own failing.

10+ Year Old Account
    18 and you smoke 2-3 packs a day how do you do it?I'm 20(started at 16) i smoke like 1/2 -1 pack a day i can't smoke more than that,my advice is to just stop,no patches,e cig,gum,etc.In my case if i don't have money i don't smoke,if i'm lazy to go buy a pack i don't feel the need to smoke,sometimes i have them on my desk and i don't even touch them.What you should take from my post is everything is in your head.Good luck
    Forgot something: keep your mouth and fingers busy eat salty biscuits or anything you like to munch
    Last edited by Chitzushoby; 2011-08-29 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    They saw his new statue and thought "Oh well, a king clever enough to waste money on a statue while half his city is burning is worthy of our support! More beer please!"

I got a little story for ya.

I decided 3 years ago to quit smoking same boat as you 2-3 packs a day for a while. I decided to quit too late, 1 month after quiting I was put on oxygen. My pulse ox is 72 without it and I am on 4 liters 24 hours a day.

I quit too late but here is how I did manage to quit.

One, Pick a stress free time in your life. Its called setting up for failure. You will stress on somthing and want the smoke to calm you or distract you.

Two, Alot of people have an oral fixation, keep a pocket full of suger free lollipops or straws to chew on.

Three, Keep a pack on you but every time you go to smoke delay it as long as possible. Find a reason not to light it every time. Hell chew on the butt if you have too till its soggy but dont light it.

If people insist on smoking around you. Be around them less. If they cant support you, you are setting up for failure again.

I truely hope this helps you. I dont want to see people in the same boat I am.

28 years old and on oxygen.

You need to break the habits of when you smoke. Usually smoke before class? Fuck that, no you don't, not anymore. Going for a drive and gonna smoke a cig on the way? Think again cowboy, no lighting up this drive. Smoking is a habit formed around other activities, I used to smoke before and after class, and during class breaks. On drives. After meals. After sex. Like a whole pack while drinking. Basically anything was an excuse to have a cig. You have to break those associations, one at a time if necessary. It sucks a lot to do, not gonna lie.