Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Wink Woman gets conned - Fake Ipad con

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technolog...ought-was-ipad

A US woman thought she had snared a bargain when she forked out $168 for what she believed was an iPad, only to discover she had just purchased a very expensive piece of wood.

Ashley McDowell, 22, bought the item from two men in the parking lot of a McDonald's restaurant in Spartanburg county, South Carolina overnight.

The men said they had bought the iPads in bulk and were selling them for only $280, a sharp reduction from the $465 US retail price.

Ms McDowell told the men she only had $168, which they accepted, giving her a FedEx box which they assured her had an iPad inside.

It was not until Ms McDowell was driving home that she opened the package and realised she had just bought a block of wood with a painted on Apple logo.

The screen was also painted on, framed with black tape and had stickers attached representing a web browser, email inbox and iPhoto.

"Basically what they'd done is taken a screenshot of an iPad screen turned on, with a copy of a Best Buy sales ticket on front. On the back they'd pasted a cut-out of the Apple logo," Lieutenant Tony Ivey, a public information officer at the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office said, The Smoking Gun reports

Wow how stupid can some people get? least ask to see the Pad first i reckons
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I LOL'd. Thanks for sharing

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, I have no sympathy to spare for sheer stupidity. I mean, really? Buying something on a parking lot? Paying for a box which they "assured contained an iPad"? Not even checking it on the spot? Haha, oh man. That's just hilarious. Enjoy your wood, lady.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Deleted
    its a old trick to scamm ppl, they show you a real one,
    and when you buy one in a box you get a box with a stone in or like this one a piece of wood

if something seems to be to good to be true, it generally is

10+ Year Old Account
    She deserved it for being THAT dumb.

I find the fact that she wanted to buy an I Pad the dumbest part. I mean those things are useless

Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    Haha, I have no sympathy to spare for sheer stupidity. I mean, really? Buying something on a parking lot? Paying for a box which they "assured contained an iPad"? Not even checking it on the spot? Haha, oh man. That's just hilarious. Enjoy your wood, lady.
    Yep this is pretty much my take on it too. How would you not even check it before you leave?

Mind boggling to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad part is thats Spartanburg for you. So glad i'm not from this dumbass state. What a smart idea those guys had...
    Tauren are the only race that produce the proper sound effects when you use the '/moo' emote.
    /moo'ing since the beginning of march 2004 in the closed World of Warcraft beta.
    Taurens>Gnomes>Trolls>Orcs>Worgens.
    Druid>Shaman>Rogue>Mage.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow I am actually from the spartanburg area of south carolina and I have to say this does not surprise me in the least bit. Cant wait till the navy to get out of this place >_< And I believe I can guess which McDonalds it was also >_< Pretty funny stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who the hell buys expensive stuff at 1/4th of the normal price from some shady people in a MC.Donalds parking lot? You're either going to get Mugged, Ripped off,
    stabbed or all of the above! It's the equivalent to picking up a random piece of food in a trash dump eating it and thinking you're not going to get sick!

Never buy something from a couple of random guys in a parking lot.

I was cashing my paycheck at a bank, when I walked outside there was 2 men outside with a white SUV. They asked me to come over and said they were selling a stereo system. The story they told me was that they had 2 extra systems and they were just about to go back to Miami, where they worked, and their boss wanted them gone before they came back, so they were selling this "expensive" stereo system for cheap. I believe they were asking around $4-500, but that was about all the money I had on me at the time and I had other plans for my money. They were very good at trying to sell this to me with their words and I'm sure they've attempted this on hundreds of other people.

A few months later I hear about one of my friends that bought a stereo system from a couple of guys in a parking lot. I immediately knew he was scammed and I asked to check it out. He ended up paying like $600 for a system that sold for no more than $120 retail.

10+ Year Old Account
    GODDAMMIT she's from South Carolina, why must they always highlight the retarded, inbreed, white trash from my state?

Deleted

i agree with this, i mean really... buy a item for 168 in a parking lot, why would they even do it.... sigh

Deleted
    She totally deserved that one... LOL'd

Quote Originally Posted by Grazzer View Post
    I find the fact that she wanted to buy an I Pad the dumbest part. I mean those things are useless.
    This. This so much haha.
    If a shaman tells you that he can't tank, he's just not doing it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's everytime suprising how stupid people can be

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

"I'll sell you this ipad real cheap..."

"how much do you want?"

"how much do you have...?"

really, can people be this ignorant?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa View Post
    Sad part is thats Spartanburg for you. So glad i'm not from this dumbass state. What a smart idea those guys had...
    BRB guys, going to Spartanburg McDonalds Parking lot and sell pieces of wood disguised as Iphones

i cant believe that they went to so much effort to make it look like an ipad! their craft skills made me lol