Holy - Jaws of Defeat question

Ok I've searched the forums for information about this and can't find any reasonable conclusion. Also, my question is slightly different from any of the threads too.

So last night I just won a Jaws of Defeat (Heroic) because two dropped and... Yea long story short, i won one of them.

But now after doing some more research and everyone's saying how it's not good for pallies, I'm wondering if I should pass it to another healer (shaman or druid, next in PR would be shaman though)

My current trinkets are Fall of Mortality and DMC, I should be replacing the Fall.

Would the 100 static +Intellect and the not-so-beneficial Trinket ability of Jaws (not so beneficial because mainly pallies can't really maximize it without overhealing too much as compared to other classes) be a good upgrade? Or should I aim for the Alysrazor trinket instead? (Eye of Blazing Power)

(And yes don't need to mention Shard of Woe)

TLDR: Should I keep my Heroic Jaws of Defeat and replace my Fall of Mortality, or pass on it and go for Eye of Blazing Power (Heroic) ?

Here's the info:

Normal Jaws is not worth using over Tyrande's Doll, DMC:Tsunami or Heroic Fall of Mortality.

The reason is that you need to alter your healing in order to maximize the buff's potential in order to do so.
    Jaws procs from your Protector of the Innocent from a transferred beacon heal. This is due to server latency.
    Because of this, casting a Holy Light or Divine Light will trigger a stack of the buff and during the cast of your next heal, the ICD of one second will reset and be procced by the previous heal's Beacon PotI.

As such, using Word of Glory or Holy Shock to proc the buff will cause sub-optimal stacking and reduce the effectiveness of the buff during its up-time.

Heroic Jaws is decent because of the intellect and because even if you don't heal "optimally" to stack its buff, it outweighs other trinkets from suboptimal use.

TLDR: Yes you should replace H:FOM; however I personally would prefer Eye of Blazing Power over it.
    Last edited by Tobley; 2011-08-29 at 04:13 PM.

Deleted
    IMO BiS is Sahrd of Woe and Heroic Jaws....

Eye of Blazing Power can be an option before dissed, but personally I don't like
    selfproccing trinkets.

I have been running jaw for a couple weeks now and have not found it cause a change in my healing at all. I am able to easily hit 10 stacks of it with around 7 seconds left. I find it useful on fights where I know I am going to spamming heals anyway. Now I didn't have the luck of having shard or H:FOM so that made it an easier decision for me.
    --Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do- (B. Franklin)--

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    Here's the info:

Normal Jaws is not worth using over Tyrande's Doll, DMC:Tsunami or Heroic Fall of Mortality.
    Not correct. You would have been correct here if it did not proc twice because of PotI beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    The reason is that you need to alter your healing in order to maximize the buff's potential in order to do so.
    Jaws procs from your Protector of the Innocent from a transferred beacon heal. This is due to server latency.
    Because of this, casting a Holy Light or Divine Light will trigger a stack of the buff and during the cast of your next heal, the ICD of one second will reset and be procced by the previous heal's Beacon PotI.
    A suboptimal buff usage will still make it better than all trinkets in the game except for SoW.

If you want the best use out of this trinket I suggest macroing it to HL DL and FoL. Keeping it off cooldown and waiting for "a good time to use it" is the only thing you really dont want to do with this trinket. You should always be casting or judging during a boss fight, therefore it does not matter if Jaws of Defeat help reduce the cost of a HL as the HL will still give the mana reduction thus saving you just as much mana as casting a DL or FoL would.

This trinket was already heavily discusses at: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Trinkets/page4

Pacer, the PotI procced stack will only happen if the heal cast before was a cast heal, specifically it needs to be over 1 second cast time IIRC. This is because a Cast Heal will proc a stack and then the PotI from that heal will proc another outside of the trinkets 1 sec ICD.

I agree, suboptimal use will make it better than other trinkets. If its Heroic quality.

Thank you for your replies, I will briefly address them in turn.

@Tobley - I do not have H:FoM, but only the normal version.

@Myridia - Eye has been found to contribute to about 2% of overall healing (not overhealing), and it IS a smart heal too, so it's not all that bad. I didn't like Althor's Abacus from before (The WoTLK version of Eye), but compared with current trinkets, it seems to be that Eye > Jaws, at least for pallies.

@Tatsu - What's your 2nd trinket? DMC?

@Pacer - There are actually better threads than the one linked that have well discussed the viability of Jaws of Defeat, but thanks for taking the time to find that thread anyway
    But I have indeed gone through many such threads, hence my conclusion that it's not optimal for pallies and hence my dilemma. (In fact, we are the worst healing class to use it)

In fact, I don't quite agree with macroing it to anything, since if you do so it's going to proc at the start of the fight in which more often than not you won't be needing the 20s of mana reduction.
    However, similarly you don't exactly want to be casting for the sake of utilizing it, especially if it's contributing to overhealing (which then would result in no cost savings at all.

Thanks all for your replies, and I have already made the decision of passing it off to my shaman (he was next highest in PR), I will be aiming for H:Eye instead as an upgrade to my Normal FoM.
    This was mainly because I didn't see any significant benefit of H:Jaws (yes i know the intellect is good, but Eye has it as well), and I don't like to have 'use' trinkets, there are other more pressing things to worry about as a healer

Thanks again!