Poll: Will 2011-2012 be an improvement for the MMO genre?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is 2011-2012 the huge step forward for MMO's alike?

With new companies coming out, old companies taking a shot at the MMO type games, or sequels of previous games, How does 2011-2012 stack up in your opinion for MMO games alike?

Will these years be great for competitiveness among companies?

I know as a player, I've been waiting for multiple high end games like GW2, Rift, SWTOR to come out and put some pressure on other companies and try to find new things for the MMO genre as a whole. I think 2011-2012 will be a great change for the genre as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalais View Post
    I know as a player, I've been waiting for multiple high end games like GW2, Rift, SWTOR to come out and put some pressure on other companies and try to find new things for the MMO genre as a whole. I think 2011-2012 will be a great change for the genre as a whole.
    SWTOR is not doing anything new so you can scrap that out, rift tried to innovate with dynamic events but they are just random events, just a small step to the mmo evolution, Guild wars 2 will certainly do well because it does most things differently and of all the people who are bored with wow and it's game model and will send a message to other developers that you don't need a wow clone to be successful.

The only improvements to the mmo genre in the foreseeable future are gw2 and tera

Rift might not be the most original, but Trion did some thing VERY VERY important. It made WoW fans question Blizzard on a few things. Why don't we have free transfers? Why does content take so long? Why do we not have a ward drobe tab yet? Why are you putting all these premium services into the game?

SWToR makes everyone question why is there no RPG in MMORPG anymore?

GW2 is the biggie if they pull it off. It ask the ultimate question. Why am I paying for this game if I can have all that and more for free? <---that is when the shit really hits the fan

I don't know, but I hope so. GW2 looks incredibly promising.

I think people tend to ignore the things games like warhammer and rift have added to the genre. It makes it even easier to do this after WOW incorporates them into itself.

SWTOR will add story, as said above, and maybe that'll make a difference, I dunno. I like single-player RPGs for the story, and if they can add that to MMORPGs, then great!

GW2 is also story-focused, but they're getting rid of the holy trinity and monthly subs on top of that. But that's something I don't see Warcraft doing for a very, very, very long time. I don't think the game engine would allow the removal of the holy trinity anyways.

The Secret World is also bringing some nice ideas to the genre as well.

It all looks good on paper, let's see how it pans out.

I was looking forward to SwTor because it's made Bioware, but from what I've seen till now looks pretty disappointing tbh...
    but I recently started getting interested in GW2 and I gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet! The whole idea of non-static combat sounds really kickass, I can't wait to see how it turns out in the end. Also I heard there will be no healer/tank/dds roles... if there is still highend pve and it works, that would rock.

blizz really has to come up with something amazing this blizzcon, but i doubt that's possible, especially now that they have admitted that they did cut a lot of stuff for Cata adn spend most of their resources for other stuff, maybe it's time to unveil Titan?

So yeah, with GW2 taking the lead (for now) and maybe Blizz unveiling something huge that they've worked on for years, 2011-2012 will be the huge step forward for MMO's alike.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be so bold as to say 'yes'.

Drastic changes are taking place with just about every game we've seen thus far.

TOR, GW2, Tera, are all doing new, innovative things we haven't seen before.

If we don't see anything radical and new at Blizzcon, that mirrors the directions these new games are taking, WoW will be left in the dust imo.

Deleted
    What radical things could wow even do anyway? They are only now bowing to pressure about changing gear looks. They will no doubt show us deathwing and that is all they have. /yawn

You would expect so really. But i aint gonna say much about it all. Looking forward to swtor and many people shout about GW2, but not seen anything of that yet.

Lets hope there all gonna be stop stuff.

in a few lines, could you tell me what news in gameplay GW2 brings? i don't know anything about it and i'm curious

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The Secret World is also bringing some nice ideas to the genre as well.

It all looks good on paper, let's see how it pans out.

It'll be awesome if they can merge the game world with the real world. That's something that has never really been done. Apparently a lot of the solutions to the "quests" and puzzles are outside of the game-world, which I think is awesome. I love how some of the organizations in the game have "real" websites, and even phone numbers you can call. I love how the NPCs have live twitter accounts and blogs. The potential is huge. But it WILL require a lot of work on their part. Hopefully it'll be good.

GW2 is coming out, /'nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    in a few lines, could you tell me what news in gameplay GW2 brings? i don't know anything about it and i'm curious
    - more active combat through dodging of attacks
    - no ally-targeted spells (eg no direct-heals)
    - no holy trinity: bosses (and many ordinary/elite mobs) are not tankable, and no tank-healing spells (see above) - tanking & healing replaced with 'control' & 'support' instead
    - replacement of "static quests" with dynamic events
    - flat-levelling curve (getting from level 10-11 takes 90min, getting from level 79-80 takes 90min)
    - scaling content (also: conditional scaling player level for PVE and PVP)

It'll be interesting if it works out.
    Last edited by Borzo; 2011-08-29 at 07:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some nice games guild wars 2, archeage, tera and maybe the next wow expansion(?) aswell as some nice solo games such as mass effect 3, diablo 3, starcraft expansion...the rest of 2011 and 2012 is looking rather good for pc gamers :S

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Soooo basically here is the idea:
    1. Remove the gear grind and make everything skill based
    2. Graphics alone are on par with 2010+ settings and not this ghetto crap we have seen lately..swtor looking at you here
    3. Questing is gone..they are blending sand box/themepark concepts and if it works it will be nice
    4. Instances have single/duo/party modes that change somehow each time through
    5. No dedicated healer...no way to click a player and heal
    6. Remove the tank concept from the game
    7 ^ all of that for free after you buy the box with no monthly sub

Like I said up top. If it works expect a revolution. If it bombs expect some suicides

Quote Originally Posted by Leonne View Post
    SWTOR is not doing anything new so you can scrap that out, rift tried to innovate with dynamic events but they are just random events, just a small step to the mmo evolution, Guild wars 2 will certainly do well because it does most things differently and of all the people who are bored with wow and it's game model and will send a message to other developers that you don't need a wow clone to be successful.

The only improvements to the mmo genre in the foreseeable future are gw2 and tera
    I agree completely. SWTOR doesn't seem that great, but GW2 looks like it could be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Like I said up top. If it works expect a revolution. If it bombs expect some suicides
    ^^^ My thoughts exactly.

If somehow GW2 doesn't live up to the hype, it'll be a sad thing to witness...

But if it does work out - then for the first time ever - I can see WOW going free-to-play somewhere on the horizon...

I don't want to fanboy much but really. Think how much money and experience Blizzard has in this genre. All new MMO's that will go live in 2012/13 will just extend the cake then Titan will come and crush all what we know today.

Competition in this market is the best thing for players ever.

GW2 is the future of MMOs. :>