Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need an unbiased view on gear on such (disc)

Been playing this game for a long time and most of that time as a Disc priest.
    Now with many many patches further i'm concerned that i'm losing sight of what "good" and "bad" stats are.

Sites like Elitistsjerks are ussualy not that big of a help since they are outdated atm or focus on BiS gear.

So i call upon my fellow Disc priests on how to improve / reforge certain stats and or plainly wrong picked gear i got on

Armory link Dujith

Thnx in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    From simulationcraft.org I've noticed a lot of disc going away from mastery and toward haste. I also notice a lot of the int meta instead of spirit. I'm not a priest though and I am not downing heroic modes so take my suggestions as such.

Agree as I have gone with an increased haste build and love it. Ember Shadowspirit is usually the meta of choice. I also prefer to use Purified Demonseye instead of Dream Emeralds for blue slots. You have a number of pieces that are better that mine but here is a link to compare. I'd say try a high haste build and see how you like it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...macus/advanced
    Last edited by Hamacus; 2011-08-29 at 06:31 PM.

Sorry, you won't get unbiased here

Looks like you're still in 4.1 gearing mentality, stacking spirit. This will give you tons of extra mana that you can only dump with a little shieldspam. That's pretty inefficient so a lot of us these days are cutting back on spirit for other secondary stats. Spirit isn't top priority anymore - basically having the least you can get away with is far more valuable now.

1) Get however much spirit you need.
    2) AoEhealing? hst > mst > crit or hst = mst > crit or mst > hst > crit. Depends on your healing strategy and how far you cut back spirit.
    3) Tankhealing? Frankly, hst=crit=mst. It depends entirely on your healing strategy which stat has higher value for you.

You need to figure out what your secondary stat priority is. If you posted some FL logs I could help you.

Enchants:
    Replace Darkglow with Lightweave. Spirit procs are extremely predictable and always give you exactly the same benefit each fight but int procs are more valuable at your gearlevel for Rapture. Added benefit: your throughput goes up.
    Spirit enchant on bracers should be Int.
    Mastery on gloves and boots is questionable, depends on your stat priority.

Gear/gems
    Replace your meta with Ember shadowspirit.
    You have a pure spirit gem in your belt. Replace it with a spirit/int gem. Some would say replace with a pure int gem, but since the socket bonus is +10 int a spirit/int gem is what I would do.
    Prismatic gem in belt should be pure int.
    What other trinkets do you have? Eye of Power is the weakest healer trinket in this tier, in fact most people won't even wear it over DMC:T. If you get jaws, replace eye with jaws. Core on the other hand is okay but like I said with Rapture those int procs are very powerful (especially when you get to control them for a hps burst). Consider replacing core with Fiery Quintessence.

So, finally, you look very mastery stacked. Lots of top discs do this, but you have to realize that MST sims significantly lower than either other stat in an AoE rotation. More of the top discs that are raidhealing stack haste. Now you have to ask yourself how a top ranking priest on WoL could get away with MST stacking? It'd be because MST gives you way more efficient throughput than hst, so you could get away with even less spirit than a hst stacked priest. IE, you could stack mastery higher than I can ever stack haste.

I tried mastery stacking, but it feels like I have less control when my casts are long. I get higher bursts with haste stacking. It feels safer and for me it wound up being higher HPS. As a reference, I try to gear between 2200 and 2400 spirit. Some mastery stacked priests go as low as 1800.

Post some logs if you want more input. I'd have to think about it though.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-29 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka View Post
    Sorry, you won't get unbiased here
    I meant not viewed by me

You need to figure out what your secondary stat priority is. If you posted some FL logs I could help you.
    Any specific fight that would be helpfull? have loads of logs.

Enchants:
    Will change the Darkglow, think i changed that for some mana probs i had, turned out to be other issues that caused that.

Gear/gems
    Yes, i will change back some spirit to int. Also a leftover of mana issues.

As for the rest, i might try a haste crit build. Might come in handy for Ryolith HC p2

What's pretty cool about Discipline right now is that there is no one secondary stat that is ALWAYS best. Depending on your raid composition, healing strategy, and spell priorities, your stat weights can vary WIDELY from others. Zak did a pretty great job at summarizing which stats work for which jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujith View Post
    Any specific fight that would be helpfull? have loads of logs.
    The more you could provide, the better. I'd personally be interested in seeing a Beth'tilac, Rhyolith, and Majordomo log, as I feel like those are some of the fights were you can really tell if "someone is doing it wrong."
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujith View Post
    As for the rest, i might try a haste crit build. Might come in handy for Ryolith HC p2
    hst=crit > mst is for if you are a designated tankhealer, you rarely use PW:S for triage (basically only using PW:S on rapture ICD), and Gheal is your mainstay (not PoH, you're tank healing).
    After you forge this way look hard at your logs. If your absorbs are > 35% it might not be the right stat priority.

You are progressed farther than me, feels silly giving advice to you now that I know.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-29 at 08:02 PM.

You are progressed farther than me, feels silly giving advice to you now that I know.
    Tbh thats due to a good raiding grp and my basic ability to know where to NOT be. :P
    I have always just went with it gear wise and never took a close look at stats, worked so far. Was just wondering if i could improve since i rarely do any sims or theory crafting

Your advice is usually spot-on and well-thought out, so I wouldn't worry so much about that.
    Besides, most entry-level Heroics do not require many changes in playstyle from the last couple normal mode bosses (err... well... at least Rag).
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

i've always had a hard time finding anyone who will vouch for haste over mastery or mastery over haste... but by looking at the simulationcraft results, it seems a bunch of disc priests are favoring haste atm...

how much affect are you haste discs seeing in your throughput/efficiency when you swapped from a mastery heavy build to a haste heavy build?

After I stacked haste heavily, I started seeing my long aoe spikes after popping cooldowns at ~35k. Basically I have one plateau at about 28k before using CDs, but then after burning CDs I can burst up to 35k and hold onto that for as long as they last. Raw throughput can be considerably higher (~40) but this is never what you see.

Before, with my mastery stacked setup, I had difficulty breaking 30k. For me the difference is TOO big meaning it was a problem between my keyboard and chair, not the setup necessarily. Really a mastery stacked build that sacrifices considerably more spirit than the haste build should be either even or slightly ahead. It's just harder to keep your head on straight when your casts are longer - less allowance for bad decisions.

I just checked into it slightly, what I said seems like it could be true or not depending on your healing behavior. One minor adjustment - if you're MST stacked at the same gearpoint (sacrificing an additional 400 spirit for MST), you need more than 1 PW:S per rapture while you're AoE healing to outdo a haste stacked build. It's still an efficiency gain, though, because both your PoHs and PW:S's are more efficient to begin with. I don't mean lean on the shield button, just use it slightly more often. The real deciding factor: is 1800-2k spirit enough?

Abusing BT for a burst is a much larger HPS gain than for a HST stacked build, with less of an efficiency penalty. Also dropping penance out of the rotation is a bigger HPS gain than for HST stacking. Now more questions, how does efficiency compare for these strategies. I have to stop somewhere

Basically it's so close you need to try both and figure out what works better for you and your raid group.

Again, MST sims at about 2/3 the value of HST. Read what I said carefully before you tell me I'm full of it
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-29 at 09:25 PM.

Deleted
    As a "raid" healing disc priest in 10 man fl (only at 2/7 hc so it might be changing later on) i've trying both mastery stacking and haste stacking and i find that stacking haste seems to be a lot better especialy when you need to get ppl topped fast. Raid buffed i'm at about 21% haste, 20 % crit and 11 mastery and i find myself self able to push way more hps when needed with haste<crit<mastery. Tryed out mastery but i mostly use PW:S as a mana regen (ofc i use it when its req) and PoH seems to benefit way more from hastery than mastery hps vice.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to get rid of spirit on my gear, currently around 2500 and feel like its way too much.

I run with both REP trinkets + gloves enchant from engineering which allows me to chain all 3 1 after the other to gain more mana back from rapture and arcane torrent.

I also try to tie in these with power torrent for even greater returns.

If you play your CD's right and dont blow mana needlessly i can see how people are getting away with 1800spirit

I stack HASTE as i play 10man and CRIT/mastery after that

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've recently swapped from gearing for spirit/mastery to spirit/haste. I switch between Holy and Disc in raids, so I can't really warrant dropping down to obscene levels of spirit. The way I see it right now, I can stay at high spirit, and just go all out for haste, so I can have high throughput, but keep a decent level of mana as both specs.

Think I'd reforge back to full mastery for Heroic Baleroc though.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tihr View Post
    I've recently swapped from gearing for spirit/mastery to spirit/haste. I switch between Holy and Disc in raids, so I can't really warrant dropping down to obscene levels of spirit. The way I see it right now, I can stay at high spirit, and just go all out for haste, so I can have high throughput, but keep a decent level of mana as both specs.

Think I'd reforge back to full mastery for Heroic Baleroc though.
    Why would mastery be better for Baleroc mate?

Would of thought HASTE would be better as you can get more fheals / pennences in to get stacks higher?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because you abuse the fuck out of shields/Strength of Soul with the Vital Spark buff, Mick. Between shields and DA, over 50% of your healing on that fight is absorbs. Stacking the buff isn't an issue, really. We have two Shadow Priests soaking the crystals that I build my stacks on. We have Heroism for the first crystal, I PI myself on the second, and pop Shard of Woe, and I end up with about 140 stacks.

Tihr, I have a question for you!

2 healers can be on the first shard soaker. Spriest stacks to 20, disperse and win. FH+PW:S spam during timewarp and I can get 90-100 stacks before I have to start tank healing again. We use a paladin tank for LoH on this (survivability for those 20 sec without a healer) but a druid could probably do it too (this is one job I don't think dk would perform as well for). Overall for the length of the fight pally is probably a weaker tank here than druid and dk might be best for deci (deathstrike is the best out that any tank has here, LoH is good but we have to use it right at the start).

Anyway that's all beside the point. Basically the tank needs heals again by the time the first crystal is gone. By the time the first soaker reaches 20, healing is getting pretty hectic: without CDs, each tick is doing 80k dmg before resists. Means he absolutely needs at least one heal per tick, and if the healers are in a bad stride the soaker could die without the use of a raid cooldown.

Now, how exactly do you line up your raid cooldowns so that the second soaker can take a whole crystal without 2 healers? Or, how do you arrange things so that your tank can survive that first minute without any direct healing?

Most obvious answer I can think of is pally tank healing for 2nd shard with beacon on soaker.

I'd love it if you could help me with this I have access to:
    aura mastery, hand of sacrifice, the spriest's divine hymn for 10% healing, Divine Guardian, LoH, Ardent Defender, Rallying Cry, and Dispersion. Only option for 2nd soaker is a druid with survival instincts/HoS/DG (rallying cry would interact in interesting ways here strengthening hand of sacrifice by a great deal)
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-30 at 12:18 PM.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Leth, your gear is OP. Unlike your CS Source skills matteeee

For me, my playstyle and raid setup i pointed out that mastery stacking is much better than haste stacking. I always keeping up shields on both tanks and support players who get low with shield to secure them. Most of the time our drood heals them up and i can assist our pala heal with the tanks and spam some PoH if group heal is needed. Of course i trust simulation craft and AoE healing rotas that haste is the better stat for it but i don't have so much situations where i just spamming PoH its mostly p2 of beth'tilac (also there i use lots of shield if enough mana and like i said always keeping up shields for tanks). Its scorpion phase of major (mostly use PI and shields there to increate haste enough). In nearly every fights i use a lot of more penance greater heal and shields to support our other 2 healers and just use grp heal if i have to and for this setup and heal style i pointed out for me that i am with mastery much more effective than with an heavy hst build.

I agree that hst is the better stat if you just spamming poh all the time and renew shields for rapture but this is not my playing style