PvP newb questions

Lil background about me. I have played since beta just off and on, due to life and just boredom. So i'm coming back to wow for another go. Now I have a 80 paladin and a 80 shaman. I plan to focus on pvp, mostly bgs for now until I get my skills up. Now my main question is since I never really tried to compete in pvp much before hand. Which class is more newb friendly and easier to be successful as a pvp standpoint?

As far as specs go for the shaman i'd be elemental and ret for the paladin at least for now. I never liked healing much.

If you dont plan to heal you will have a hard time finding a team with any a ret pally or a elemental shaman
    Paladins are alot easier then shamans in general, as a ret you will have to find a melee cleave wich is just tunnel the cloth and pop every CD so the hardest part is to find a melee cleave that will take you and not a dk/feral/warrior.

Elemental shamans arent really bad but anything they do a mage or warlock will do better.

i would try both just to see what your prefer and what you feel comfortable with. In my opinion shamans have a higher skill cap (inb4flame) then paladins, but i know that both of them are fun classes and you should try both of them out.

Ret Paladin takes a perfect knowledge of your class' abilities, procs and close to the best gear available if you want to stand a chance against most classes. People think we're all about "lol Avenging Wrath/ Guardian of Ancient Kings" but we're truly not, it's just that a lot of our most important talents are chance based, so that means you have to play with skill until something good procs, then pop your other CD's from there and get the kill. They can be very fun in BGs, but like I said, you won't see big results until you get Season 10 PVP gear and know your combos and abilities well.

Elemental shamans are a lot more powerful than mages or warlocks atm, they just haven't come out to light yet because the good ones don't brag. For BGs you'll have an easy time ripping through enemies simply because your damage is insanely high. You're like a feral druid with spells. So BG wise you'll have a lot of fun with this class, but once again, you still have to know your abilities well and have stuff key binded and all that.

If you ever get into arenas, good luck. If you've been playing on and off for the past few years, you'll need practice for the intensity of arena matches. My personal advice is don't bother with them, there's other MMOs coming out soon with much more balanced and fun PVP than WoW's. BGs are neat, but arenas are more stress than fun.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ret is pure RNG and makes me sick. its all about just getting lucky with procs.

for bgs, ele is probably one of my favorite specs, u just sit in a bush and nuke stuff. and if someone does get on you, its so easy to kite, its stupid.

ele is slightly harder to play in arenas, dont expect to go far without a mage or warlock for a partner.
    Last edited by DiscoGhost; 2011-08-29 at 08:18 PM.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sartol View Post
    Lil background about me. I have played since beta just off and on, due to life and just boredom. So i'm coming back to wow for another go. Now I have a 80 paladin and a 80 shaman. I plan to focus on pvp, mostly bgs for now until I get my skills up. Now my main question is since I never really tried to compete in pvp much before hand. Which class is more newb friendly and easier to be successful as a pvp standpoint?

As far as specs go for the shaman i'd be elemental and ret for the paladin at least for now. I never liked healing much.
    I am in a similar boat, I have played for a few years in PvE but just started PvP in cata, personally you should play what you are most comfortable with and enjoy playing the most because PvP can be frustrating at times but if you are enjoying it the rest of the time then you can over look the frustration. Most of my frustration comes from not having as good gear as some others atm so I would say be patient with it try and improve all the time learn from mistakes and when you get the good gear you will be awesome . At least that is what im praying on myself lol

Ele would be easier to pick up, Ret isn't very viable.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to worry about "skill" with resto shamans.

You can just 1-A to victory dude roll resto and you'll get 2k in no time.

Deleted
    I can't answer the main question about choosing shaman or paladin since I don't play either class, however I figured I'd add something to this:

Quote Originally Posted by oRyuk View Post
    Most of my frustration comes from not having as good gear as some others atm so I would say be patient with it try and improve all the time learn from mistakes and when you get the good gear you will be awesome . At least that is what im praying on myself lol
    Being undergeared can definitely be frustrating, no fun in being ripped apart in the blink of an eye due to low resilience and stamina for example. Because of the gear, and the fact that I like a relatively "safe" environment to practice some PvP moves, I tend to stick to bigger scale bg's (mostly AV, some IoC) at first, where gear is much less of an issue. You can sorta pick your battles if you want, or simply hide behind a big group of teammates if things get a bit scary :P

Deleted
    You're gonna get gray hair early playing a dps on one of those. Lvl a rogue.