Tablet as an e-reader?

Hey all,

My fiancee has expressed interest in buying an e-reader but is having trouble picking one that she likes. I suggested perhaps she should look into a tablet instead as there appears to be more of a variety.

We both have Samsung Galaxy phones so we like the Android operating system.

I was thinking of showing her this but I'm a bit curious if anyone else uses a tablet primarily as an e-reader? Or can anyone suggest a good e-reader that's android-based and runs well? Thanks.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I believe that there is an e-reader app available for free through the Android market if you want to look for a quick fix. I know that my wife uses one on her phone (we have HTCs) when she can't use her Nook. It ties to our BN account as one of our allowed devices (I think you get 5). I've thought about getting her a tablet, but I'm just not sure how much she'll use it beyond the e-reader functionality.

One problem that you are going to run in to with using a tablet as a reader is the battery life. I know that he basic Nook can get constant use for a month straight before she even thinks about charging the thing. Even then, she never really runs in to battery issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayure View Post
    I've thought about getting her a tablet, but I'm just not sure how much she'll use it beyond the e-reader functionality.
    Thats sort of the problem. I imagine it does just about everything our phones do, but she reads a lot of books and has expressed interest in having one.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ukrainium View Post
    Thats sort of the problem. I imagine it does just about everything our phones do, but she reads a lot of books and has expressed interest in having one.
    I would personally recommend the "new" basic Nook. It really is about the same size as a paperback book. While it doesn't have all the functionality, and is certainly still expensive, the think just lasts forever. I don't want to sound like I work for them and am trying to push the device, my wife has just had really good experiences with the thing.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/i...PID=35699#logo

I use an Amazon Kindle (kindle 3) and I can't imagine any backlit display being as easy or comfortable to read.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    I use my iPad for that, I havent bought a real book since i got it. The only downside is that you cant see much on the screen in direct sunlight :<

get a Nook color and root it.
    The Nook Color is powered by an ARM Cortex-A8 processor that is clocked at 800MHz. It has 512MB of RAM and a 7-inch, multitouch-enabled, color screen with a 1024x600 resolution. The CPU is a modest step down compared to the current generation of Android devices (it's in the same ballpark as that of the original Motorola Droid), but the Nook Color's specs are otherwise comparable with the hardware in Samsung's Galaxy Tab and other mid-range tablets.

If she really wants to read only with the ebook, you should get her an ebook with e-ink display.

I got an amazon kindle - cheap (139 €) only in terms of the price, that thing is very well build. Maybe you should suggest a kindle DX or another "bigger" ebook reader, because bigger PDF will be a bit downscaled and easier to read on a big display.

The display itself is AWESOME - make sure you really get an e-ink display or something similar. I can read the ebook in full sunlight like any other book with ages of accu capacity. If she want to surf the web, play games etc. with the tab, get here a tablet - but be sure, with an lcd display the eyes get weary fast and over longer time reading books with a pad (got an ipad here) makes your eyes hurt for some time.

And yeah, english is not my main language and I'm way to tired to write well right now :P
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I use an Amazon Kindle (kindle 3) and I can't imagine any backlit display being as easy or comfortable to read.
    Yeah, that is a big problem with backlit displays and why I prefer the e-readers that are actually designed for that purpose. While not great in the dark, there may be eye strain on backlit displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayure View Post
    Yeah, that is a big problem with backlit displays and why I prefer the e-readers that are actually designed for that purpose. While not great in the dark, there may be eye strain on backlit displays.
    And if you stare at screens at work and when playing games too it really adds up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I showed her the Nook Color and she seems really interested.

It seems most e-readers are black and white which is another reason I was looking at tablets. Although, I supposed if you're only reading books it's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ukrainium View Post
    I showed her the Nook Color and she seems really interested.

It seems most e-readers are black and white which is another reason I was looking at tablets. Although, I supposed if you're only reading books it's not a big deal.
    Yea in late 2010 some electronic ink e-readers started emerging, but there aren't many of them and they're expensive.

Part of the reason for the "Black and White" screen is it's not an LCD, and it's not backlit. It's far less power consuming(only really uses power to change the screen), much easier on the eyes, and easier to see in sunlight. I prefer reading off my original nook over anything using a traditional color LCD or AMOLED screen.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

If you are ONLY going to use it for an e-reader, get a Kindle. That said, I've got an Acer A500 http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW (same specs as the Xoom, but with a USB port included), that I do use as an e-reader fairly frequently, you just download the Kindle app from the Android market.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a reason all e-readers are black and white and not backlit. eye strain. you said she reads a lot of books, so you shouldn't be looking at anything except a nook or a kindle; not the nook color, just a normal nook.

backlit screens will strain your eyes and make them sore / blurry / etc after a while, where as reading off an e-ink reader (nook / kindle) is the same as reading off of a book
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Part of the reason for the "Black and White" screen is it's not an LCD, and it's not backlit. It's far less power consuming(only really uses power to change the screen), much easier on the eyes, and easier to see in sunlight. I prefer reading off my original nook over anything using a traditional color LCD or AMOLED screen.
    Ahh, I'd never thought of/realized that before.

We've pretty much eliminated tablets for now. I brought up some of the points mentioned in this thread about e-readers and she decided that there's really no need to buy a tablet anymore. We're gonna head to our book store in the mall and play with the e-readers they have on display.

Oh btw, keep an eye out for the 99$/89EUR/69GBP HP #touchpads - They stopped the support for them but they still have hardware worth 350$ packed inside them. AND android honeycomb is getting ported to them.

I have a Kindle 3 with cover and attached light and I couldn't ask for more. Battery lasts for a long long time, the screen looks just like a book and the light is fantastic for reading in the dark. I don't need all the bells and whistles some other e-readers have to offer, I bought it purely for reading and it excels in that department.