Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    To quote what the help section in Windows says:
    So if he did also get an infection of some sort, That would also keep that as well unfortunately

All you have to do is a system restore. You should be able to due to it caches data almost every time you install something onto the computer no matter where it goes or during a system update. To start the restore just go to start -> control panel -> system -> then system restore. If you cannot find it just search in the start bar for system restore. And I advise you to either get a very good virus protection software or stop torrenting all together there are better and safer ways to "obtain" programs then torrenting.

First rule of internet security: Use secure and real products. Which have real results. And try to avoid software from torrents.

Now, restore your system to a previous point, using the system restore tool (For your own good, I hope you had it turned on, otherwise, you're in trouble)

All in all, you learn to clean and upkeep your computer from having it die in your arms over and over. There are no good doctors without dead patients in their past, and there are no good PC techs without a smoldering motherboard in their memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    So if he did also get an infection of some sort, That would also keep that as well unfortunately
    Looks like it. A fresh install is probably your best bet, OP...and this time, buy it legit and don't fuck around with torrents unless you've got ample protection for your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah...there i go...'talking out of my butt' when several people said the exact same thing'
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    That only restores system files, aka: Those in C:/Windows ;/

Oh, and hardware drivers.
    I've had corrupted drivers installed and wasn't able to remove them short of doing a system restore. It's not a 100% fix but system restore can do wonders in such scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by prphet337 View Post
    And I advise you to either get a very good virus protection software or stop torrenting all together there are better and safer ways to "obtain" programs then torrenting.
    I'm not for or against torrenting but suggesting one stops doing it is like suggesting someone not to drive after being in an accident.

I'd like to point out that deleting the program files folder shouldn't compromise your OS. If you can't get your computer to reboot it did a lot more than delete folders in your programs files folder.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are having issues doing core OS tasks, try running the PC with the windows CD in it. Then it will run windows from the CD and any posseble infection cant do shit.

Deleted
    That only restores system files, aka: Those in C:/Windows ;/

Oh, and hardware drivers.
    Though it will remove programs installed after the restore point you use, anyway I recommend reinstalling.

Protips for OP: Registry cleaners are bullshit and unnecessary. Don't torrent random programs you know nothing about.

P.S. Could you send me a link to (or give me the name) of the program you used? I'm interested in what it was.

Edit: Also unless you haven't used the computer since the files were deleted I wouldn't bother trying to recover the data (unless it's important) because it's likely that it has already been overwritten.
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2011-08-30 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    P.S. Could you send me a link to (or give me the name) of the program you used? I'm interested in what it was.
    For, you know............research.........

>_>

<_<

v_v

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    For, you know............research.........

>_>

<_<

v_v
    I think it was called "regrestore"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prphet337 View Post
    All you have to do is a system restore. You should be able to due to it caches data almost every time you install something onto the computer no matter where it goes or during a system update. To start the restore just go to start -> control panel -> system -> then system restore. If you cannot find it just search in the start bar for system restore. And I advise you to either get a very good virus protection software or stop torrenting all together there are better and safer ways to "obtain" programs then torrenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    First rule of internet security: Use secure and real products. Which have real results. And try to avoid software from torrents.

Now, restore your system to a previous point, using the system restore tool (For your own good, I hope you had it turned on, otherwise, you're in trouble)

All in all, you learn to clean and upkeep your computer from having it die in your arms over and over. There are no good doctors without dead patients in their past, and there are no good PC techs without a smoldering motherboard in their memories.
    I believe system restore is more of a record keeper of changes made rather than a redundant backup so unless he has something that saved that 30 GB of data elsewhere he's out of luck getting it back for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    It works for system files most of the time. But its really.. well call it "Random" when it comes to personal files.

I have sometimes been able to get some things back, but mostly not.

As people have said. A system restore will fix it.

If you run a magnet over your harddrive....

Mod Warning: No trolling. Post more constructively.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-30 at 03:00 PM.
    My Tumblr. (:
    My warlock.
    My Paladin.
    My Lolking
    Lel I bought my spectral tiger from the horde auction house at 9 in the morning for the sweet sweet price of 1c.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    As people have said. A system restore will fix it.
    People have not said.. and it will likely not help to use SR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm almost betting that your torrented file did actually snag a virus. Most likely a rootkit. It may have attacked some low end system files which are screwing with your computer if you don't repair/reinstall soon.

Registry cleaners are a waste of time, the difference they make is negligible. There is more chance that they will remove a registry item that the system needs than anything else. If you want to keep you registry clean use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall your programs. It will uninstall every item added to the registry by that program and nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    People have not said.. and it will likely not help to use SR.
    If it is actually a rootkit, system restore will just help to dig it in deeper and make it harder to find which files were tampered.