Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    On the Galaxy S II note, it should be here next month. Unless you're a lucky bastard in Europe and already have one.
    Heh.. My classmate has the Galaxy S2. Managed to steal it for a minute behind his back, and the speed is just awesome. Being used to my Wildfire (I can type faster than the phone can handle, makes some interesting texts), it's just insanely fast. The screen is great. High reso and fast response with a very clear image.

As for the actual topic, iPhone vs. Andriod. It entirely depends on what Android you're looking at. Comparing a Wildfire with an iPhone is like comparing apples with cake. Both tastes delicious, but the cake always wins. Always... mmmm..... cake......
    I have no idea how any of the OS is for programming, but if you compare equal phones (hardware-wise) I'd say it's entirely biased. Whichever OS you feel comfortable using wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiives View Post
    Just because the majority of people use something does not make it any better, the sheep will follow the other sheep.
    oh i know, but when you are stuck working with sheep.......

15+ Year Old Account
    I Pad Is sheet, It dosent support Flash player, No HDMI port, no full size Usb port, no Expansion card slot, Only 1 speaker with a terrible processor, DOESNOT have a Nvidia Tegra 2 processor, which increases gaming and video performance by 50% or even more, its expensive, Smaller display.

No good reason to buy Ipad over Android tablets!

Android, hands down. There should be no competition here really. Android is way more 'super user' friendly (On top of being more low level friendly...) especially when it comes to rooting and flashing, which I highly recommend. When programming apps for the phone you also have a lot of freedom. lets not forget that when programming you want to hit either the current largest market, or the rising market that you expect to be the largest in the near future. Currently, Android has a larger market share than Apple at 33% vs 25% respectively (Numbers based on Apr 2, 2011) when it comes to smart phones. Apple is fighting the same battle they fought against Microsoft in the 1990's with Mac vs Windows, and they're losing again They'll continue to lose by more and more, and iPhones will be 'lolwut?'.

Even if you weren't looking to program on a phone, Android is better...

---------- Post added 2011-08-30 at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mestofiles View Post
    Heh.. My classmate has the Galaxy S2. Managed to steal it for a minute behind his back, and the speed is just awesome. Being used to my Wildfire (I can type faster than the phone can handle, makes some interesting texts), it's just insanely fast. The screen is great. High reso and fast response with a very clear image.

As for the actual topic, iPhone vs. Andriod. It entirely depends on what Android you're looking at. Comparing a Wildfire with an iPhone is like comparing apples with cake. Both tastes delicious, but the cake always wins. Always... mmmm..... cake......
    I have no idea how any of the OS is for programming, but if you compare equal phones (hardware-wise) I'd say it's entirely biased. Whichever OS you feel comfortable using wins.
    You're talking hardware, not software. Android OS > iOS. Of course phones with lower hardware won't be able to handle either software as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    oh i know, but when you are stuck working with sheep.......
    I'm lucky enough to work with all Android enthusiasts, I work at AT&T so it doesn't really count, I've always had a distaste for Apple so it's a good environment for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kot0005 View Post
    I Pad Is sheet, It dosent support Flash player, No HDMI port, no full size Usb port, no Expansion card slot, Only 1 speaker with a terrible processor, DOESNOT have a Nvidia Tegra 2 processor, which increases gaming and video performance by 50% or even more, its expensive, Smaller display.

No good reason to buy Ipad over Android tablets!
    They have HDMI, USB and a card reader, as well as VGA, but in typical apple fashion, you must pay extra for those

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    this applies to phones as well:

when looking for a tablet i went with the ipad, because it was the original, and wasn't a cheap copy of something else, that meant it had all the original features and wasn't using a cheap method of bypassing some patents, this is why apple still has the best touch screen interface, there is also the compatibility issue, apple has 80% of the marketshare last time i checked, this means a majority of apps and accessories are designed for iOS and apple devices, not that this is a good thing, apple has awesome hardware, but their software will piss you off to no end
    You must have checked YEARS ago then. That's changed drastically in Androids favor.
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".

Same shit different name basically... asking a question like this is to pour gasoline on fire as you'll kickstart every fanboy in the universe.

IMO, iphone got a tad better interface, it just feels better and more smooth.... Android on the other hand is a stronger OS with better hardware and as it's "open", all the linux/omg-crush-MS/Apple-people will follow it to DEATH even if the phone would suck.

I.e. both are good phones, iphone has better user interface, android better behind the shell and more powerful. BOTH are awesome phones and you'll love whichever you pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    Same shit different name basically... asking a question like this is to pour gasoline on fire as you'll kickstart every fanboy in the universe.

IMO, iphone got a tad better interface, it just feels better and more smooth.... Android on the other hand is a stronger OS with better hardware and as it's "open", all the linux/omg-crush-MS/Apple-people will follow it to DEATH even if the phone would suck.

I.e. both are good phones, iphone better for visuals, android better behind the shell and more powerful. BOTH are awesome phones and you'll love whichever you pick!
    I'll have to disagree on the visuals. The Super AMOLED screen on some Android phones really blows a normal LCD out of the water.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Well....

$100 or $200? Which one sounds better?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post

I.e. both are good phones, iphone has better user interface, android better behind the shell and more powerful. BOTH are awesome phones and you'll love whichever you pick!

If you're a generic everyday phone user, your post is mostly correct. If you're a tech savvy person who gets the most out fo whatever electronic device you're using, your post is a far cry from the truth.

Android is more powerful on multiple levels. And you can't compare hardware when it comes to iOS and Android, as Android is on varying ranges of hardware; You compare the OS's on similar hardware levels to get an accurate view of what either OS is capable of.

this says a lot

If you are interested in developing applications:

Android: The application is written in Java, the GUIs are xml files. The android sdk can run on all major operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux) and the "default" IDE for developing the application is Eclipse, which can also run on all major OS. You can use other IDEs too but google offers a plugin for Eclipse that makes your life easier.

iOS: You can only develop applications using the xCode IDE provided by apple which only runs on Mac OS X therefor you need a mac computer. The language you use is Objective C, a variation of C. The only way to distribute your applications is through App Store and you have to be a registered Apple Developer. The membership is $99 per year.

One of the advantages of the android is that there is a lot of information on the internet. However the main disadvantage is that because there are A LOT of different phones running android, developing applications such as games is tricky, because of the different hardware configurations. As a result performance and user experience may vary.

For profit, i'm not sure but i believe there are more chances of selling an app on app store than android market. But again i'm not sure about that. I don't know if you can make a living by selling apps as an independent developer, but if you want to be hired as a developer for mobile platforms by a company, i believe it's good to have a couple of at least free apps on the market, just to show them that you have developed something and have some experience.
    Last edited by panos20; 2011-08-30 at 09:23 AM.

Deleted
    if you got cash go for nokia oro

Deleted
    The market currently favours Android for sure due it's flexability and opensource character.
    Its pretty easy to develop Android apps and even new mods of Gingerbread or any Android releases there are/were/coming.

Aside of that, i love the integration with all 'Google-software' .. like maps, online agenda, email.. and android apps are just SO much cooler in general.

From both a user and developers point of view i would go for Android because you are limitless in your options, where Apple always tries to keep everything thats even remotely connected to them within their grasp of control.

Apple got totally awesome products, but its hyped and thats all it is... i mean would you go buy a piece of hardware anno 2009 that has no USB port or rejects to play flash by default?

For the programming etc I'd go for andoid, everything else, iOS. I've never ran into a time where I needed flash or any of the other things people say iOS products lack so for me it is perfect, requirements vary between people though.

Quote Originally Posted by cyceron View Post
    snip
    this says a lot
    LOL, that is one seriously true and funny picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
    For the programming etc I'd go for andoid, everything else, iOS.
    Why would you go iOS for everything else? Apple fanbois have been saying this for awhile now, as if the only thing Android has over iOS is their programming platform and not the fact the OS is more powerful and more user friendly while also being super user friendly for those who want it.

Deleted
    From the developer's point of view:

- You can develop Android applications both on PC and Mac, to be able to develop IPhone applications you are restricted to Mac only.
    - Android applications are JAVA, IPhone applications are Managed C
    - Android has different versions with a lot a phones on market sharing them, you need to develop your application for 1.6, 2.1 or >2.2
    - Due to a lot of very different screen resolutions you need to be very careful when developing Android applications
    - The tax to become an Android developer is 35USD once, for IPhone is 99USD/year
    - For both of them posted on market you get 70% of the price you set, 30% goes to them
    - Due to high number of free Android applications, there is flexible 'banner' system to advertise and still get money for you free applications.

As a side note, Samsung Galaxy S2 has a chemical treated display and you can barely see now trails of your fingers on the screen.

Regards

Deleted
    As a relatively new iOS developer, I'd suggest getting an iPhone if that is your only consideration. As an end user I'm quite happy with my iPhone, although some functionality makes the grass seem greener on the android side of the fence. However, if I see how easy it is to implement gps etc in my experiments (I made an alarm clock that wakes me up when my train near my destination - I tend to miss my stop as I'm a deep sleeper.) then I don't regret buying an iPhone.

The one thing that is absolutely required is some grasp of object-oriënted programming, and you should've touched on that with python ;-)
    However, I write my iPhone apps on a Mac. I'm not sure how you'd do so on windows, but on OSX you just do a basic tutorial and learn some Cocoa (OSX Obj-C) and the C syntax. About 3-4 weeks of full-time effort and you're well on your way to building iPhone apps.
    Last edited by mmocb5cc4e7c4b; 2011-08-30 at 09:21 AM.