Addon initiation spam

Each and every time I log in or reload my UI I get greeted with tons of spam from addons I don't even care about much. Most of the spam is simple loaded events, like the retarded brother who needs to announce entering the room. Here's a screenshot:

Auctioneer feels it needs to announce loading separate modules, Titen Panel has to make an entrance 2 times and zzmp (which, FYI, only adds the Iron Wolf theme to flying an engineer mount) even adds the character and realm name. The only relevant one is _NPCScan, which reminds me to clear the cache. All the other ones just take up useless space and scroll time when I want to read the GMOTD for example.

So here's a question. Why do addon creators feel the need to spam useless information at the users on each load? I don't scroll up on each login to check that the addons are, in fact, loaded. That's what I expect from them without thinking about it. I have created 2 addons myself so I know for a fact that the loaded spam is unnecessary and avoidable. Neither would I even consider adding it to one of mine.

Perhaps it's making a big deal out of nothing. But perhaps you can still enlighten me. What drives addon creators to announce useless stuff like loaded events? Should they not be interested in offering the best possible user experience?

You can search for those strings in .lua files and remove those messages. Some addons have checkbox to remove those messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

Removing lua strings is pointless since I have to do it every update, but I'll look for the settings.

Yeah, theres really no way around it especially if you're an addon whore.

People like being known when they do stuff, it happens.

Stood in the Fire skidmarksteve's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    nice guild message

seriously though... i think addon authors may use it to help them debug peoples problems....

they can then ask... when you first login do you get a message saying <addon name here> loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    Removing lua strings is pointless since I have to do it every update, but I'll look for the settings.
    If you can't find the settings, and ultimately want to resort to removing the Lua strings, then here's a dump. I don't have the "diffs" though
    AuctioneerSuite-5.12.5198
    • "AucAdvanced: Util:AutoMagic loaded!"
      Auc-Advanced\Modules\Auc-Util-AutoMagic\Auc-Util-AutoMagic.lua L112 -- print("AucAdvanced: {{"..libType..":"..libName.."}} loaded!")
    • "AucAdvanced: Util:EasyBuyout loaded!"
      Auc-Advanced\Modules\Auc-Util-EasyBuyout\EasyBuyout.lua L86 -- print("AucAdvanced: {{"..libType..":"..libName.."}} loaded!")
    • "Auctioneer: Util:ScanFinish loaded!"
      Auc-Advanced\Modules\Auc-Util-ScanFinish\ScanFinish.lua L77 -- print("Auctioneer: {{"..libType..":"..libName.."}} loaded!")
    • "AucAdvanced: Util:ScanStart loaded!"
      Auc-Advanced\Modules\Auc-Util-ScanStart\ScanStart.lua L67 -- print("AucAdvanced: {{"..libType..":"..libName.."}} loaded!")
    • "AucAdvanced: Util:FixAH loaded!"
      Auc-Util-FixAH\PageOneReturn.lua L88 -- print("AucAdvanced: {{"..libType..":"..libName.."}} loaded!")
    • "AucAdvanced: Match:BeanCount loaded!"
      BeanCounter\MatchBeanCount.lua L180 -- print("AucAdvanced: {{"..libType..":"..libName.."}} loaded!")
    • "Informant v5.12.5198 loaded"
      Informant\InfCommand.lua L52 -- chatPrint(_TRANS('INF_Help_Welcome'):format(INFORMANT_VERSION))
    • "Enchantrix v5.12.5198-5194 loaded"
      Enchantrix\EnxMain.lua L123 -- Enchantrix.Util.ChatPrint(_ENCH('FrmtWelcome'):format(vstr), 0.8, 0.8, 0.2)
    • "AutoDisenchant inactive"
      Enchantrix\EnxAutoDisenchant.lua L439 -- Enchantrix.Util.ChatPrint(_ENCH("FrmtAutoDeInactive"))
    • "Swatter is not loaded, because you are running BugGrabber"
      !Swatter\Swatter.lua L30 -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("|cffffaa11Swatter is not loaded, because you are running "..name.."|r")

TitanPanel-5.0.6.40200
    • "Titan Panel (5.0.6.40200) by the Titan Panel Development Team"
      Titan\TitanPanel.lua L404-L408 -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(TitanUtils_GetGoldText(L["TITAN_PANEL"].." (")..TitanUtils_GetGreenText(VERSION)..TitanUtils_GetGoldText(")"..L["TITAN_PANEL_VERSION_INFO"]));
    • "<Titan> Register Titan Panel plugins..."
      Titan\TitanUtils.lua L1037 -- TitanDebug(L["TITAN_PANEL_REGISTER_START"], "normal")
    • "<Titan> Registration process done."
      Titan\TitanUtils.lua L1045 -- TitanDebug(L["TITAN_PANEL_REGISTER_END"], "normal")
    You can open the files with any text editor like e.g. Notepad++, and then comment out or remove the above lines
    Last edited by Ketho; 2011-08-30 at 11:59 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't blame the addon creators when you are the one picking all the addons.

Get this: StopTheSpam. It's been last updated in 2006 but trust me it still works perfect, I've been using it for probably 4 or 5 years.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Don't blame the addon creators when you are the one picking all the addons.
    That's a silly thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    Get this: StopTheSpam. It's been last updated in 2006 but trust me it still works perfect, I've been using it for probably 4 or 5 years.
    I am using this as well and it works great
    --Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do- (B. Franklin)--