Deleted

Windows 7 and the activation of it

Hi,

I just got my new PC and I was wondering how should I put this W7 which I'm on now onto that one?

Do I need to disable or uninstall to free up the key or does it do that by itself?

Tnx in advance

that depend on the version of windows 7 you have.

if you got a oem version its not posible.

the way to do it is to call microsoft.

When you start the computer the first time you insert the windows 7 disk into your dvd-rom/bluray drive, reboot. The installer will pretty much do it all on its own. At some point you will be prompted to enter the activation key.

this is only if you bought the copy of windows on its own, if it came pre-installed you are probably not allowed to do that (look up OEM license on google or wikipedia).

Windows will ask you to activate on the new computer, and if it passes there's not gonna be any further issues with it. You will have problems though if you try to use two computers with same CD key. Pre-activated Windows can not be transfered, such as the customized version that comes with some big brand computers (Dell, HP etc), only version that you bought separately.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If your computer came with windows 7 installed on it, you should have the key somewhere on your case. If its not there you can use a program called "magic jelly bean" which is a keyfinder and you can write it down by using that program. Not sure if i understood correctly but you may need to buy an OEM if you can't use the same key twice (normally depends on the lisence) or do things a little unorthodox if you don't wish to buy. Good luck.

Deleted
    My W7 now is a retail W7 Ultimate x64, so if I install it on the new PC it should be fine as I don't intend to use them at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bortak View Post
    My W7 now is a retail W7 Ultimate x64, so if I install it on the new PC it should be fine as I don't intend to use them at the same time?
    Yep. Just install it in the new computer and let it activate over internet and stop using the old version. Nothing else is needed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Great! Thanks for the rapid replies.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    OEM version keys can still be used if it's not used on another PC >.> You just can't change too much hardware on it and can't change the BIOS information. That's it.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    OEM version keys can still be used if it's not used on another PC >.> You just can't change too much hardware on it and can't change the BIOS information. That's it.
    no, by the ToS, and OEM copy is tied to the first MB it's installed on, you can change everything but the MB

that being said, microsoft doesn't care, as long as the copy is run on one machine at a time, you can change all you want

Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    Yes, meaning if you have Windows from Dell for example, you can use it on another motherboard from Dell only. Generic unbranded OEM version can be installed totally freely on anything you like, although it's not allowed by Microsoft EULA. Legally you'd be fucked, morally it's totally OK and Microsoft does not care because they rather keep paying customers.

Retail box version like the OP has doesn't suffer from that kind of limitations.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Yeah, the OEM information is stored in the BIOS, I heard some ppl flash their BIOS with a customized Firmware to be able to use a OEM Keyfile :P

So Mainboard needs to be OEM oder flashed ^^

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft's EULA is complete jibber jabber in it. It's Microsoft's License Agreement for the End User, not for the company. According to the company you sign with, you buy a PC with a Windows 7 Software + Key. They never said or wrote anything that you can't use it for other systems (they still sold it, so who of them gives a flying f***).

Microsoft only wants a valid Key for your Windows 7 copy, they, too, don't give a flying f*** where you install it.

The company only uses OEM keys that can only be used on the system you bought to milk out more money when the system breaks.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are transferring retail W7 from one PC to another one you might not be able to activate it via internet (cause it is not a simple "video card change", you are changing everything) and will have to use phone activation - it's automated, free of charge and pretty simple so do not worry if internet activation fails.

Also do delete it from old PC as per EULA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    If you are transferring retail W7 from one PC to another one you might not be able to activate it via internet (cause it is not a simple "video card change", you are changing everything) and will have to use phone activation - it's automated, free of charge and pretty simple so do not worry if internet activation fails.
    I've never had an issue activating mine over the internet and it's been on a few different computers now
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I've never had an issue activating mine over the internet and it's been on a few different computers now
    Five activations over internet automagically before you need to phone in. And I think the counter decays by one (or even resets to zero) after 120 days. It's very rare you have to call Microsoft unless you're doing something fishy.
    Trolling should be.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Five activations over internet automagically before you need to phone in. And I think the counter decays by one (or even resets to zero) after 120 days. It's very rare you have to call Microsoft unless you're doing something fishy.
    I had to activate mine via phone the first time I changed PC. Maybe their policy varies in different regions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a question from me to other users here.
    Can you format your machine and install windows 7 OEM again? or do you need to phone the activation in?
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Just a question from me to other users here.
    Can you format your machine and install windows 7 OEM again? or do you need to phone the activation in?
    Yes 10char

i do not have a camera program with windows7 system . Who can send me one ?