Deleted

Elemental shaman v Affliction Warlock (PVE)

Currently in firelands, I'm an affliction warlock, 375 ilvl, 3 pieces of t12 including t12 heroic legs. The shaman is an elemental shaman, 391 ring, 376 ilvl and 4 pieces of t12.
    As one would guess, the shaman would beat me in dps, but only by a small bit which could be offset by RNG. However, this guy is pretty much kicking me in the mud with his dps. he consistently gets 2-3k more dps than I do, sometimes as high as 5k more. Are shamans that overpowered currently, or am i just doing something wrong.

Rotation is rather simple. Curse of elements, demon soul, rune of zeth, haunt, unstable affliction, corruption, bane of doom, shadow bolt twice, haunt again as it comes of cd and so on. I always clip unstable affliction and bane of doom. I always cast haunt off cd. felhunter pet is always attacking boss. After bane of doom first cast, i cast Doomguard if off CD.

Standing still and dpsing, i can pull a nice 27-30k dps. Shannox heroic ranked me as 48 on WoL. Only reason shaman didn't beat me there was because he was on rageface duty.

reports/d92zcohgqp1iyi8n/dashboard/?s=3428&e=3793 (without t12 hc legs)
    Unfortunatly, there are no logs up of last night baleroc. Should be up some time soonish.
    reports/rt-lqwjzpwkowm21bhb/dashboard/?s=287&e=677

I realise it could just be shamans are OP at the moment with the 2pc resetting CD on fire elemental so its up 75% of the time.

Sorry about links, forums won't let me post. Just add worldoflogs dot com infront if you need to see them.

Elemental shamans are really good on single target dps (moving or not). Encounters that require switching are pain for us, because our elemental doesn't like to switch targets.

Dont clip BoD if it was cast during DS, rune of zeth ++, same goes with other dots. Time up rune of zeth with each BoD in such a way that you let the "buffed" BoD run its course, and then apply a new BoD with rune of zeth when its duration is done. Then when DS ++ cds come of CD refresh BoD with all the buffs you can to get 5 ticks of the buffed version. And try to avoid refresing dots which were cast with a great number of buffs, unless you gained an Eradication proc that would net you over a haste threshold for that Dot.

10+ Year Old Account
    What duty are you on for Beth'tilac?

No matter what duty, 17k dps for Beth in ilvl375 while not too bad, but plenty of room for improvement.

Shammy are in much better shape this patch as well as our T12 2pc, we are probably just above average at the moment but by no mean OP. If you can do 30k dps stand still but down to 17-20k on non Baleroc/Majordomo fight, there are some L2P issue there. Movement would decrease your dps a little, but not by THAT much.

Deleted
    for beth im normally on spinners/drones. I dot up all the spinners and finish off the drone.

on second thought, the logs probably aren't the best. moved house recently, and piggy backing on slow wireless's.

even before that though, i still remember a large difference in dps between shaman and myself.

Depends on the Encounter:
    Beth'tilac, you should be way ahead of the shaman because of multi dotting and the broken fire elemental
    Rhyolith, Elemental AoE is horrible especially if you need to AoE fast and the Sparks live long enough that dots are doing fine dmg.
    Alysrazor, depends on the role, does he have to kill those meteors? How fast die those adds? etc.
    Baleroc, Shards duty and bad Countdown RNG influence dps
    Staghelm, being targetted by that jump during Cat phase, other shit to "abuse" the Concentration mechanic

Elemental is doing really good on Baleroc / Staghelm because the Fire elemental can't screw up anything but on those other encounters the fire elemental or the bad AoE kills good elemental Dps.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The shaman should only be beating you on Baleroc tbh if you have equal gear, and even then it's really close. On Beth'tilac your shaman was aoeing the spiderlings which probably explains a lot of the difference in your dps. You should probably work on your dot uptimes & movement. Can't really give you any other advice.

We're in a really good spot right now on most encounter. Probably the best caster now on the move and one of the best ranged on single targets. Simple fact of the matter is that if your Ele knows what he's doing, ie lining up trinket procs with Fire Ele refreshes, correct gear, double potting, correct cd usage, then you will not catch him on any single target fight of this tier. Minus Alysrazor flying, where your dots benefit infinitely from the haste buffs and he would be haste capped very quickly.

Now if you switch to Demo then you would do much better than you are now on fights other than Alysrazor. Although it is a VERY different play style and requires very precise CD control.

Deleted
    Well then. Could it be a gear issue? I've noticed several people here have similar iLvl and almost 400 more haste rating and a lot less mastery.

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/khadgar/Maztech/simple

I've played wow since start of tbc. I thought i knew the class fairly well, so its hard to believe that there can be such a large gap simply because of how i play.

Deleted
    i haven't seen an elemental warlock do any decent damage for a while. Whether that be AoE or single target. I am interested now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surely Demon Soul AFTER all dots (and Shadow And Flame) have been put up and ideally when BoD is at 46-50 seconds remaining so it benefits twice from it? Or do the dots cast during it benefit for the full duration of themselves rather than just DS's duration?
    Last edited by Conzar; 2011-08-30 at 01:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    i haven't seen an elemental warlock do any decent damage for a while. Whether that be AoE or single target. I am interested now.
    I giggled

---------- Post added 2011-08-30 at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    Surely Demon Soul AFTER all dots (and Shadow And Flame) have been put up and ideally when BoD is at 46-50 seconds remaining so it benefits twice from it? Or do the dots cast during it benefit for the full duration of themselves rather than just DS's duration?
    Why would he Demon Soul after? Only way I see it is that one should make sure to have SEx3 then pop it. Popping it at any give time wont affect current dots untill they are refreshed/reapplied.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2011-08-30 at 01:58 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Popping Demon soul before dots would improve the dots damage after they've been cast. however, is stacking 3 Se really worth it before casting the dots? The way i see it, you lose 3 gcd after haunt has been cast, but se doesn't start until haunt hits. casting unstable afflic will be the first one to gain the se improvements, but only on the first tick, not initial damage. between start and tick 1, you have enough time to cast corruption and doom, and then second tick occurs. after second tick, you should have already cast the second sbolt (first sbolt is initial opener after curse). As far as i see, you will lose one tick which has only 2 stacks of SE, all other ticks having 3 stacks of SE. Also, as Se is a buff on the boss, doesn't that mean that it's applied to the dots automatically without needing to refresh them.

I could be wrong, but i have always thought buffs on a boss effect all buffs on the boss, but self buffs will require recasting of boss buffs. (that's a mouthful and a half).
    Last edited by mmoc5d21993eb0; 2011-08-30 at 02:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    A tick here and there wont matter. Fights are 6+ mins long so there is room for human error.
    Personally I would like to pop Demon Soul when I know I benefitt the most from it, ie. SEx3 is up and I know I wont have to move in the comming few seconds so I can reapply/refresh all to get maximum benefitt from it.

Speaking of missing a tick etc is just silly, it is not a training dummy we are fighting.
    Also if its a multi-target phase, one should consider to pop it accordingly if add dps is a priority.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2011-08-30 at 02:25 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.