Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    This happened to me! Turned out my HDD was plugged into the wrong port. Try some others out.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saksy2 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I tried your first solution, but it still didn't let me past the "BOOTMGR is missing"-screen, so couldn't really try the reinstall part.

Would you care to explain how I should go about to try out your second solution? Also, in case it matters, my specs are: Asus p67 mobo, Asus gtx560ti GPU, 2500k CPU, 8gb of 1600mhz ram, and a 600w power supply. The SSD is an intel force 3 120gb one, and the HDD is a generic Samsung 1 TB.
    I still think setting the boot order to your optical drive to first so you can do a fresh install is the better option especially since this sounds like a fresh install anyways rather than a 'move this file here and hope it works' solution.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by HighFiveTRex View Post
    This happened to me! Turned out my HDD was plugged into the wrong port. Try some others out.
    <- this is how I plugged mine in. Think it is about right, but gonna try to move some cables around anyway.

1) Forgot to mention, did you Enable ACHI mode in the BIOS or is it set to the default (I believe with that motherboard it defaults to Legacy IDE) it should be in the BIOS somewhere, I'm not to sure where Asus places it anymore.

2) You should stick to the same chipset for Hard Drives, place either both of them on the white ports (which run off the Intel Chipset) or place the Hard Drive on the Lighter Blue ports and the SSD on the White Port if it supports SATA3 6GB/s. If neither of the Hard Drives support SATA3 6GB/s place them into the Light blue ports.

You need to make sure the SSD is completely wiped now to be able to use my first fix I posted above. Either find another computer to wipe it in or install windows on the hard drive with the SSD removed, place the SSD into the computer when you boot into windows for the second time and wipe it. After wiping the SSD remove the Hard Drive, install windows on the SSD, place the Hard Drive in after you've booted into windows once, and wipe the Hard Drive now. (Make sure your optical drive is the first boot priority so that you can boot into the Windows Install disk)

You shouldn't pay attention to my second fix as it requires another computer with 2+ Open SATA Ports and a bootable windows install.
    Last edited by ThewF; 2011-08-30 at 03:35 PM.

That's good, now move onto the other things I mentioned, I edited my post so I'll sum it up.

Sum Up.
    1) Enable ACHI mode (On by default, skip the step)

2) Place the Hard Drive / SSD onto a single colored SATA port group, White = SATA3 6GB/s Intel Ports, Darker Blue are Third Party Chipset SATA3 6GB/s ports, Lighter blue are SATA2 3GB/s ports. (You should stick to the same chipset for Hard Drives, place either both of them on the white ports (which run off the Intel Chipset) or place the Hard Drive on the Lighter Blue ports and the SSD on the White Port if it supports SATA3 6GB/s. If neither of the Hard Drives support SATA3 6GB/s place them into the Light blue ports.

3) Set your optical drive to the first boot priority

4) Try to install windows

5) If you cannot install windows because Windows 7 fucked up during the install because you had two hard drives installed and it chose the larger driver to place the Boot Sector on you need to wipe the SSD.

6) After wiping the SSD if you did #5 proceed back to #4.

I'm logging out for now, I have to take care of some things, perhaps you'll fix it by the time I come back, if not I'll try to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Considering games are going to require DX11, which is available only on Windows 7, the question is no longer why windows 7, but why not?
    Understood. I am still living under a rock, I use my PC for WoW & cruising the net, stealing vast amounts of digital media.

Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    That's good, now move onto the other things I mentioned, I edited my post so I'll sum it up.

Sum Up.
    1) Enable ACHI mode (On by default, skip the step)

2) Place the Hard Drive / SSD onto a single colored SATA port group, White = SATA3 6GB/s Intel Ports, Darker Blue are Third Party Chipset SATA3 6GB/s ports, Lighter blue are SATA2 3GB/s ports. (You should stick to the same chipset for Hard Drives, place either both of them on the white ports (which run off the Intel Chipset) or place the Hard Drive on the Lighter Blue ports and the SSD on the White Port if it supports SATA3 6GB/s. If neither of the Hard Drives support SATA3 6GB/s place them into the Light blue ports.

3) Set your optical drive to the first boot priority

4) Try to install windows

5) If you cannot install windows because Windows 7 fucked up during the install because you had two hard drives installed and it chose the larger driver to place the Boot Sector on you need to wipe the SSD.

6) After wiping the SSD if you did #5 proceed back to #4.

I'm logging out for now, I have to take care of some things, perhaps you'll fix it by the time I come back, if not I'll try to help you.
    Thanks for the help, I've tried step 2), 3), and 4) a few times, but it still won't seem to let me get past the "BOOTMGR is missing" screen. If I'd want to wipe out my SSD I suppose I have to burn a program over to a disk? If so, It'd have to wait as I'm out of disks atm.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the help, I've tried step 2), 3), and 4) a few times, but it still won't seem to let me get past the "BOOTMGR is missing" screen. If I'd want to wipe out my SSD I suppose I have to burn a program over to a disk? If so, It'd have to wait as I'm out of disks atm.
    Windows installer will let you format.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Hey, I got my new build together and also finally got my windows 7 as well. But when I tried to install It suddenly stopped and Error Code 0x80070570 popped up. I found this pretty weird but restarted the computer and tried again. But this time it wouldn't even take me to the install menu. It just brought me a message saying: "BOOTMGR is missing", and everytime I rebooted I could never get past this screen.

I have tried stuff like swapping boot priority from my SSD to my HDD, but it still does not work. Any ideas?
    When you say New build, did you replace the motherboard, or hard drive?
    If so, you might have gotten fault hardware that decided to fail after power-up.

Also, for clarification, are you getting a BOOTMGR error on the dvd, or your HD?
    If it's the DVD, burn a copy from a friend, and just use your key, it's it's the HD, then your best bet is to reinstall the O/S. Don't forget to remove all partitions from the drive just to be sure you're starting clean.

BOOTMGR boot errors are notoriously difficult to recover from without specialized software, or a lot of know how.

Bump with some updates. I managed to install windows on my HDD after lots of trouble, and performed a firmware update to my SSD in hope that it would make it possible to install windows 7 on it. But now, when I try to install to my SSD (from disk), It again stops at copying/expanding files. This time with the error code0x80070241, which basically tells me the files are not working correctly. ANy ideas on what to do? My SSD is a 120gb Intel force 3.

i think this is to do with your hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    i think this is to do with your hard drive
    Maybe, windows 7 is running fine on just the hard drive though. It's the SSD that causes me problems