Page 1 of 2
LastLast

performance =lower fps

So my hp laptop with duel graphics can handle TF2 at 70-120 fps when everything is cranked to high quality. When I set everything to preformance I end up with 20-60... This does not make any sense to me. The problem is at high preformance I get heat up to 74c. That is why I turned it down. With both cards working together I have 2.6 ghz.

My graphics card is amd and I have the catalyst shit open and running. What settings can I use for low heat and high ass fps

too add, I need my battery performance shit set to high to get the high ghz. It also handles WoW at 60+ on high/ultra without shadow detail high. Like this computer is new and awesome, cooling pad is no doubt needed. I just need sense made out of this low=slow. Also use crossfirex.
    Last edited by clickhack; 2011-08-31 at 07:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clickhack View Post
    So my hp laptop with duel graphics can handle TF2 at 70-120 fps when everything is cranked to high quality. When I set everything to preformance I end up with 20-60... This does not make any sense to me. The problem is at high preformance I get heat up to 74c. That is why I turned it down. With both cards working together I have 2.6 ghz.

My graphics card is amd and I have the catalyst shit open and running. What settings can I use for low heat and high ass fps
    None? Higher heat is more performance.

Stood in the Fire skidmarksteve's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    is it the graphics card that is getting hot or the CPU?

use hwmonitor to see...

What settings do you "crank" to high quality? What settings do you set to "performance"?

The dual graphics laptops are for business use and you should just be happy for any fps you get =P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    What settings do you "crank" to high quality? What settings do you set to "performance"?

The dual graphics laptops are for business use and you should just be happy for any fps you get =P
    Why would they be for business, if anything, they are only for gaming.

perhaps its over heating since your hardware is rendering high framerate at lower settings? if you apply vertical syn, which should limit the framerate to 60, will the temperatures drop? Laptops will tend to drop in performance if they start to heat up.

Deleted
    Well dont look performance wise in fps in wow cause wow is maxed at 60fps and nearly every pc can get this...
    And in overall dont buy a laptop , just buy a modem for the money you have spend in that laptop you could have bought one hell of a setup for a modem.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    Well dont look performance wise in fps in wow cause wow is maxed at 60fps and nearly every pc can get this...
    And in overall dont buy a laptop , just buy a modem for the money you have spend in that laptop you could have bought one hell of a setup for a modem.
    What are you talking about o.0.

Wow would only be maxed at 60 if the vertical sync option is enabled. Depending on the refresh rate of the monitor as well. 120hz monitors will lock frame rate at 120 fps if the computer can get that high.

I am assuming cpu is hot. This is what it looks like 8 minuets after tf2

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 08:01 AM ----------

Two things, what is power saving and high performance graphics? same thing or different?

Im not too familiar with AMD CPU heat limits... My laptops CPU reaches about 80c full load while folding and does not yet throttle or anything, but that is an Intel chip.

if you plan on playing on lower settings and your laptop can handle it, just apply V-sync you limit how much stress your laptop gets put trough if its reaching that high.

Stood in the Fire skidmarksteve's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    55c while gaming is normal... ive seen 78c+ in my old 2007 macbook

My old 1.3 ghz, intel 3 intel hd bottlenecking 4gigs of ram piece of shit acer could handle 25 man icc on high settings at 10 fps... what the fuck eh, the thing was fucking HOT AS SHIT. THe heat never damaged it though and I did bad dps as a lagging slideshow rogue.

I just don't want to damage my new laptop, I'll play at 74c... but will that cause harm?

Deleted
    More than fine if you ask me for a notebook. Quite hot for an AMD chip, but since it's a mobile one I wouldn't worry too much.

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/35bbdoo.jpg

Going to try tf2 on HIGH AS TITS quality and see what HW has to say.
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2011-08-31 at 08:49 AM.

Deleted
    Psst.. MMO doesn't allow pictures bigger than 800px.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Psst.. MMO doesn't allow pictures bigger than 800px.
    I'll use hardcore mlg nerd logic and say if it's in the website then you can do it, deal with it scrub.

Okay, I reset my lapulartopple because it doesn't seem to be taking effect.

10 hours ago I had 100fps and then dips to under 60, I change shit around and it becomes worse. what the fucking fuck

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 08:29 AM ----------

when I set things to use application that means it uses what ever tf2 is set to?

Deleted
    People are trying to help you and that is how you treat them ClickHack?
    Not good. An infraction is not far for you.

And it doesnt matter if you have 100 fps or 60 fps... 60 fps is better for 2 reasons in your case.
    1. Your screens refresh rate is 60hz so it can only display 60 frames per second. Thats it.
    2. the 40 extra fps that is going.... nowhere are just generating extra heat. So put Vsync on and enjoy 60 fps.

Also is your laptop constantly plugged into the wall? Cause if your running on battery power it'll probably downclock your shit n shit.
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2011-08-31 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post

And it doesnt matter if you have 100 fps or 60 fps... 60 fps is better for 2 reasons in your case.
    1. Your screens refresh rate is 60hz so it can only display 60 frames per second. Thats it.
    2. the 40 extra fps that is going.... nowhere are just generating extra heat. So put Vsync on and enjoy 60 fps.
    I am not trying to be rude, and I hope no one feels as if I am.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I'll turn that bad boy on and see what happens. But right now I have a porabalum, it seems tf2 is enjoying low settings despite me changing it to high. No idea why it is doing that; I reset the computer and nothing.

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 08:36 AM ----------

okay, it is working... heat update will be sooon

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post

Also is your laptop constantly plugged into the wall? Cause if your running on battery power it'll probably downclock your shit n shit.
    This worked, temps are still high as fuck 71c

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 08:49 AM ----------

What about tripple buffering do I want that on or no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clickhack View Post
    I'll use hardcore mlg nerd logic and say if it's in the website then you can do it, deal with it scrub.

Okay, I reset my lapulartopple because it doesn't seem to be taking effect.

10 hours ago I had 100fps and then dips to under 60, I change shit around and it becomes worse. what the fucking fuck

---------- Post added 2011-08-31 at 08:29 AM ----------

when I set things to use application that means it uses what ever tf2 is set to?
    I was helping you, after you calling me scrub, go ahead and deal with your crap yourself, I'm done.

Here's Computer forum rule N°9, as stated in the sticky:

9. No posting of images larger than 800px wide. 800px is generous for a large thumbnail. There's no reason to be posting images larger than this. Remember, we do still have users with small resolutions. Feel free to use imgur.com to create a smaller thumbnail.
    Goodbye.
    Last edited by mmocf3173aaef6; 2011-08-31 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    I was helping you, after you calling me scrub, go ahead and deal with your crap yourself, I'm done.

Here's Computer forum rule N°9, as stated in the sticky

Goodbye.
    sorry my humor was dull like that, I didn't mean to insult anyone; it was more of a quote. I never even thought the word scrub is insulting. I was just trying to be funny, not telling you off in anyway.