Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Tom Chilton talks about DW fight/ says MoP speculation is "overhyped"

Hello, long time reader, new member... found this on IGN earlier and I haven't seen it on these forums so I'll post it here... I can't post links yet but basically it's an interview with Tom Chilton on some extra tidbits about 4.3 and beyond.

pc.ign .Com /articles /119/ 1191590p1. html# disqus_ thread

remove spaces, lower-case C in Com.
    Last edited by Obayl; 2011-08-31 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Disregard the MoP overhyping nonsense... it's not important. The only thing really interesting the DW bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Obayl View Post
    Hello, long time reader, new member... found this on IGN earlier and I haven't seen it on these forums so I'll post it here... I can't post links yet but basically it's an interview with Tom Chilton on some extra tidbits about 4.3 and beyond.

pc.ign.com/articles/119/1191590p1.html#disqus_thread

remove spaces, lower-case C in Com.
    Overhyped is not the same as incorrect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I think he's full of it.

They did the same kind of things with the Worgen/Goblin masks back before Blizzcon 2009 cemented them as the new races. I figure Mists of Pandaria will try to be silly/awesome fun like Burning Crusade was.

Hoping we get Brewmasters!

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if the entire raid is just Deathwing in multiple phases, like 15 minute long and there's like 10 of them. Hurm.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Yeah, I think he's full of it.

They did the same kind of things with the Worgen/Goblin masks back before Blizzcon 2009 cemented them as the new races. I figure Mists of Pandaria will try to be silly/awesome fun like Burning Crusade was.

Hoping we get Brewmasters!
    Remember what Cata tried to do?

Yeah, let's not try to replicate that expansion ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1191590p1.html

interesting to say the least

15+ Year Old Account
    The Deathwing encounter sounds as though it'll be especially time intensive. Chilton said that, if you were to take into account the encounter's multiple stages, it would be longer than any other in the game. "The fight takes place in multiple different environments, you'll actually potentially get loot at different points in the encounter so it's broken up into larger scale overall. Players will start at Wyrmrest Temple and then eventually it progresses to players fighting on [Deathwing's] back flying towards the Maelstrom, trying to wrestle him to the ground, basically."
    Good f'n god YES!!!

Deleted
    Guess that could mean that you kill in Deepholm so prevent him from flying away again.

Also, damn I sure hope that the next expansion won't be MOP like implied here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Overhyped is not the same as incorrect.
    True, but the only thing we've been speculating about is it being the new expansion. Everything else is just tacked onto that idea.

"... Chilton said the speculation was, "wildly overhyped." He added, "if you look at traditionally how we've handled that race it's been in those secondary products because we haven't realized it in the world. Most of the time when we do anything panda-related it's going to be a comic book or a figurine or something like that."
    That's curious wording.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Also, damn I sure hope that the next expansion won't be MOP like implied here
    Why not? We have talking cow-people, alien-people, wolf-people, elves, dwarves, gnomes, undead, orcs, goblins, trolls, walrus-people, bear-people, and so on.

I still don't see how a race of asian-theme panda-people can hurt what WoW is doing already.

Chilton said the speculation was, "wildly overhyped." He added, "if you look at traditionally how we've handled that race it's been in those secondary products because we haven't realized it in the world. Most of the time when we do anything panda-related it's going to be a comic book or a figurine or something like that."

He's talking about the pandaren race, and that most people think they are going to be playable characters, that's my thought anyway. I still believe Mists of Pandaria will be the next expansion.

Deleted
    Pandas have been a joke race in the game. Building an expansion around something that was meant as a joke is not very convincive. Pandas in general have a cutesy image in real life. We have not have had an expansion build an around walrus people and the tauren are more like minotaurs, not cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    That's curious wording.
    I think what he meant to say was that the views are incorrect in that people assume the panda's are going to be cuddly and cute and that Blizzard is trying to make them anything but that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

I think they just throw ideas out and listen to how loud the complaints are, like real-ID's on the official forums, cross-realm premium features, etc..

So now this .. well they probably didn't like people complaining about the Panda references and said oh .. lets say it's not true and quickly change it.

At any rate Cataclysm was the expansion that was overhyped, and I didn't see overhype in that article .. think you got stuff mixed up .. can you give a quote from the article?

MoP is not happening i can promise that.

Deleted
    Worgen and Goblin masks anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    So you're an integral part of Blizzard's design team, then?

Careful-best not Tempt the Fates.

I'm gonna laugh if you're wrong, just like I laughed at the countless of people who promised WotA was going to a raid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Deleted
    I think what he meant to say was that the views are incorrect in that people assume the panda's are going to be cuddly and cute and that Blizzard is trying to make them anything but that.
    Not really sure how on earth you got that from the quote :O