I think my Computer is dead...

Because I see that it's getting power, but when I try to turn it on, nothing happens.

Sorta been thinking on getting an upgraded machine soon, and this is starting to make me think I should.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Check to make sure the power plug is all the way in. Could easily be a dead power supply which is a $35 fix depending on needs.

You think you may need a new computer because your current won't start? I'd say that's a valid argument.

On a more serious note, you'd have to better define 'nothing' to receive any help. How do you know it's getting power? Do the fans start spinning for a second when you push the Power button? Does it make any noise?

If 'No' on the last two questions, it could just be the Power button itself that's broken or not connected properly.

If the PSU is completely dead, your machine wouldn't receive power to begin with. And if it's only malfunctioning, it would push out some power before disconnecting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Check to make sure the power plug is all the way in. Could easily be a dead power supply which is a $35 fix depending on needs.
    This is good advice. Same thing happened to me, first it started with lagging bad in raids, then one day it just wouldn't turn on. Simple 30-40 buck fix like he said. Got a nice 500 watt power supply for $29.99, easy and quick to replace too!

Too say the least I was relieved it was that easy, hope its your only problem too.
    Signatures are overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    You think you may need a new computer because your current won't start? I'd say that's a valid argument.

On a more serious note, you'd have to better define 'nothing' to receive any help. How do you know it's getting power? Do the fans start spinning for a second when you push the Power button? Does it make any noise?

If 'No' on the last two questions, it could just be the Power button itself that's broken or not connected properly.
    Green light inside the computer is turning on.

And nothing means quite that. Press button....Nothing. Not even a tumbleweed.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Like I said sounds like a dead power supply. Even though the green light on the board is on any number of the rails on the power supply could be failing. To give you an idea there is a 3.3V, 5V, 12V, etc rails on a power supply if even on of them is failing your power supply will cease to power on the computer or as others have stated shut off randomly or other eventful things.

My suggestion is to pop on out to your local shop and grab an inexpensive Antec, Coolermaster, Corsair, OCZ power supply. A decent 400W+ power supply is suggested without knowing your computer specs.

Remove battery and try start.
    Remove power supply and battery and press the start buttom a few tries. There can be some static on the motherboard, this can remove it.

If noone of these 2 works. If you don't hear any sound or noices, or see any light from it. It might be your motherboard.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !

Quote Originally Posted by Cowiesh View Post
    Remove power supply and battery and press the start buttom a few tries. There can be some static on the motherboard, this can remove it.

If noone of these 2 works. If you don't hear any sound or noices, or see any light from it. It might be your motherboard.
    I really don't know my way around computer innards that well...nor do I know where the battery is.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    I really don't know my way around computer innards that well...nor do I know where the battery is.
    Take it to a shop and say "Hey can you test my power supply". Get it tested probably pay a 15 minute labor charge, then when they say you need a new one buy one, have them put it in and test it, then presto you are back up and running.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowiesh View Post

Wouldn't the system turn on for at least a second or 2 then shut off it their was static? Sounds like a dead PSU to me, those things die often enough so it wouldn't be that strange even if the system is only 2 or 3 years old.
    What is magic, If not the expression of a human's desire to create something from nothing directed solely by their own mind.
    One may even describe such an occurrence as art. - Mr.E

Guess I'll check at the local comp shop when my ride gets home then. I'll stop in again with any changes.

I agree with the people saying dead power supply, it's the same thing that happened to my last computer. The light on the power button would turn on, but that's it, nothing else would happen when I tried to turn it on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    yeah this pretty much means you should take it to someone who does. At least they can test things, better to know first rather than forking out for a PSU only to find that isnt the problem.