Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    yeah beyer also make really nice headphones. The pair I bought my dad were a bit fragile though.

If you want them for travel, you will probably want closed earpads, to keep out the noise. They will cook your ears in any kind of hot weather though.
    My ears are fine, I'd be more afraid of my sweat hurting them, poor head phones .

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I checked out the senhieser hd558 reviews are promising, hate the looks but looks<Quality.

Build quality! Must be durable! I want these to last me years on the travel, can't stress that enough.

Deleted
    the best thing to do is to go to a proper HiFi store and try some out with your preferred music / player. Then you can pick what you like

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 01:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Discombobula View Post
    My ears are fine, I'd be more afraid of my sweat hurting them, poor head phones .

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I checked out the senhieser hd558 reviews are promising, hate the looks but looks<Quality.
    Well I have never tried gradios or audio technica, and I hear sony do some decent ones too, but my experience with sony's was they were really uncomfortable, but that was only 1 model.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliwhacker View Post
    Get some Beats, or a good set of Bose.
    Beats are terrible, unless you want to be a douche to everyone around you while on a bus or something because everyone I see wearing them, I can hear their music full blast coming out of those headphones. They may sound good, but it makes you look like an asshole when people listening to their own music even at maximum volume, can hear your own.

As for me, in about 6 years of being an iPod owner, I have used Shure, Sennheiser and Bose headphones. Out of those 3, Bose were the best quality for sound, Shure had the best noise cancellation ear buds and Sennheiser were the best for dollar value and sound quality ratios. I honestly wouldn't recommend any other brand of headphones, most others pale in comparison. And this is coming from an audiophile, I listen to music A LOT and am even into vinyl records, there are few good sounding brands out there, most either have too much treble or too much bass, the three I mentioned all have balanced equalization aside from Bose which have a bit more bottom end sound. For any genre of music though, all 3 would work well.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-09-01 at 01:00 AM.

I bought some Denon's for about 70£ (it's the cheapest Denon). Really good sound and comfortable to wear, but they're a bit plastic-y if you care about such.
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

ATH-WS55 Solid Bass Over-Ear Headphones are looking nice from what I've read and portable! Thanks for all the help! Keep throwing them out there if you got more suggestions!

Music is mostly all forms of rock, screamo, death, heavy, classic, stuff like that.

ATH-WS55 Solid Bass Over-Ear Headphones are looking nice from what I've read and portable! Thanks for all the help! Keep throwing them out there if you got more suggestions!

Music is mostly all forms of rock, screamo, death, heavy, classic, stuff like that.
    If you want more reccomendation i've got a whole thread of 'phones http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...eadphone-Guide

Build quality! Must be durable! I want these to last me years on the travel, can't stress that enough.
    The Sony MDR-7506 I mentioned above have lasted 12 years, including: traveling to many countries, and me often falling asleep wearing them. The padding along the rim falls off sometimes now, but it's not hard to put it back on.

Not saying they're the best headphones ever, but there's a reason they've been on the market for so long.

One thing you want to decide off the bat is if you want open-back or closed-back headphones.

If you want to hear outside noises with your music, then go for an open back style. People around you will hear you music more easily also.
    If you want to isolate yourself from the surroundings and block out as much outside noise as possible, kind of like a small amount of noise cancellation, go for closed back phones. People around you shouldn't hear your music while you are wearing them. You can Google information for more in-depth analysis.

Sennheiser makes good quality headphones. I've had personal experience with the HD555's and they sound really good I believe they were meant for home audio like movies and such. Good all around, these are open back.

Audio Technica's ATH-M50 are the ones I am using now for gaming and my music and I absolutely love these things. These are closed-back. I started hearing things in music and games that I have never heard before. I bought them on sale for about $105 but the normally sell for 150-160. They are worth every penny, they really sound amazing. Even though they are closed I can wear them for hours on end without feeling uncomfortable. It's hard to find a negative review of these. They have also found them to be extremely durable. I strongly suggest them, especially if you looking for music specific headphones.

One tidbit on the ATH-M50. If you see an 's' at the end of the model so it reads 'ATH-M50s' it means the cable is straight. Otherwise it will be a coiled cable. I prefer the straight cable.

Another good site to look at

http://www.head-fi.org/products/
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Thank you for all the websites Ispano, they have helped.

I'm loving the Audio Technica, I think I might go with one of their brands

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I get sick of all the hate towards Beats. I've had Senheiser's, I've had Grado's, I've had Bose, I've had Audio Technica's, and honestly, my Beats Studios blow them all out of the water.

I'm a hardcore audiophile and pretty much am never not wearing headphones listening to music of all kinds. The beats have great powerful lows and crisp and clear mids and highs. They're also the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

Sure, they're a little on the pricey side, but compared to equally priced headphones from other brands I've used, they sound better.

And the only way they can be heard "above your own music at full blast" while someone is wearing them is if that person has an abnormally loud media device. If someone has them off their ears though, that's another matter completely.

Seriously though, people need to stop bashing beats without actually listening to them through a high quality audio player, with the equalizers set correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickarus View Post
    <snip>
    I bought a pair of Beats Studios when they first came out. They were better than anything I owned at the time, but I would never buy them now.

I will admit they're damn comfy around the ears, but the headband gets terribly uncomfortable after a while.

The active noise cancelling, which you can't turn off, gives off a white noise that I can't stand, even when not plugged into anything. They would be better headphone without ANC.

The build quality is terrible. The little screws around where the headphones extend broke on the first or second day. They made them super curvy, but not at all flexible.

They're definitely better than my Sennheiser PC350s, but they're double the price.

tl;dr Monster makes good products with terrible value. That's common knowledge anyway.

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 01:13 AM ----------

This spurred me to dust of the Beats.. The highs are terrible. These things are so skewed to the low end it isn't even funny, which is okay for most of the people that would buy them.. But not good all around at all.
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-09-01 at 04:09 AM.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Taliwhacker View Post
    Get some Beats, or a good set of Bose.
    All I have to say about this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ
    Unless you really just need to be part of the "cool kids club"

I have a pair of AKG 701's and they are the best headphones I've ever owned BUT, and this is important, if you don't have a good amp for them then they aren't worth the money. This is something you need to be careful about with the more expensive headphones.

For my ipod I just have a pair of Grado SR-60i, which are great for the price and don't really need an amp.

I would recommend a pair of Sennehiser HD-25 II. Great headphones and very portable. They are plastic but durable as hell and the sound quality is great for the price.

Anyone know where to get Audio Technica's ATH-M50 at a good price? I found one used for 79$ and another new for 80$ but I wasn't sure if the website was legit. If you want to check it out, the website was 6cheapest.com.

Anyone know where to get Audio Technica's ATH-M50 at a good price? I found one used for 79$ and another new for 80$ but I wasn't sure if the website was legit. If you want to check it out, the website was 6cheapest.com.
    $159 seems to be the going price at places I know are legit, with the best value coming from Amazon.com at $156.

Those are very good headphones, btw. My buddy has a pair.

Yeah $150-$160 new is around normal price.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2