Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorSteinar View Post
    The intellect part is true in the description when you mouse over intellect it stated it increases your chance to get a weapon skill BUT THAT counted only for classes like warrior and hunter if I recall correctly.

Never met people like that other than stamina stacking mages in vanilla.
    Intellect increased your ability to gain weapon skills all the way up until 4.0; I'm almost 100% certain on this. I was trying to level my weapon skills for the achieve (Knuckle Sandwich) on both my Warrior and my Mage, and I was able to get from 1-400 Swords in under an hour on the mage with a 2.6; my Warrior, however, took nearly three hours just to get from 1-250, until I got clued in to the intellect trick. Bought about 200g worth of mid-70s intellect gear, stacked it on him, and went from 250-400 in under half an hour. Somehow I doubt RNG can be -that- responsible, and -that- coincidental.

Vook's story reminded me of one one that I'd never forget, from TBC.

My friends and I needed to PUG a healer for regular Black Morass; most of us were rather decked out so maybe we could've done it without heals, but I didn't feel like trying so at the time. Well, long story short, we find a paladin who switched to 61/0/0 Holy like 5 minutes prior, and as we got ready to summon, he asked the following:

"whats better [The Essence Focuser] or [High Warlord's Cleaver] for a healing pally"

*Screen Captured*

We survived. My friend was disappointed that we didn't just 4-man it without a healer like he wanted to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't entirely call this a silly reason, more of a jerk reason:

ZA, doing quite well on my warrior tank alt, who is STILL stuck with a 346 blue helm. 353 drops, I'm all excited, everyone says "congrats"...except this DW frost DK who is just sitting there.

About 25 seconds or so goes by while the clock to greed/need continues to tick down...and he needs on the helm, beating me. I didn't get pissed off in chat, mind you, but I did say "Really XXXXXX, you're going to take a tanking helm from the tank that needs it?" He says "Yes, I'm an asshole. I need it for my offspec. You have enough tank gear".

I dropped.

Deleted
    I saw a tauren rolling on mail gear once and when I asked him, he said it was better than what he was wearing.
    Can you believe that? A cow wearing clothes? Ridiculous..

The stupidest reason I've ever seen was a guildy in WotLK replacing gear because of higher ilvl. Of course he didn't know it was the total item budget, he was referring to the GEARSCOREZOMG in his tooltip addon. The specs of the piece were absurdly worse for him and broke a set bonus but there was no convincing him. Twas a very touchy feely everybody hug and get along guild, so what could I do but say grats on the purchase man!

Personally, I'm sure I made all sorts of idiotic gearing decisions on my mage Pre-TBC considering this was my first MMO.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    On my hunter I always picked items with the highest armor because armor helps you survive a beating, after all - up until level 65 or so when I started wondering what the other stats were for.

Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    So I gave him the EJ site and he actually changed all of his gems and thanked me.
    Aw, I'm glad someone helped him out and he actually took the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by creepygnome View Post
    I can say the most annoying person I ever used to have to group with as a holy pally who wore all cloth gear and always stood in melee range. She wanted to be able to attack the mobs between heals. /facepalm
    As about 10 people have already said before me, if this was pre-Armor bonus, there's absolutely nothing wrong with either of these things. Many, many patches ago my Pally ran around in a cloth chest piece because (A) the stats were amazingly well itemised for Holy Pally and (B) it amused me greatly. If this was post-Armor bonus, though, of course it is a problem . Meleeing as a Holy Pally is fine on many encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Keimier View Post
    Had a Lock that we ran with that would NOT equip better stat gear cause "it didn't match" her outfit.... This was in BC so I'm not sure if her attitude has changed.
    Haha, I was like this on my first character in Vanilla. "Eww, I can't wear that!" I may still do it on odd occasion on alts where it doesn't really matter .

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post

I recently passed a gear upgrade to a friend just because I wanted to stay on exactly 17.00% hit and not go over or under :>
    Haha, I feel that pain. I don't actually pass on anything, but there's been the odd item where I've gone, "Damnit. Now how am I going to get my Hit to EXACTLY cap, right to the point? It was so perfect! " Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetalisker View Post
    On my hunter I always picked items with the highest armor because armor helps you survive a beating, after all - up until level 65 or so when I started wondering what the other stats were for.
    lol, we've all had those moments when something dawns on us on our first character, and it's just like a total lightbulb moment. "Huh - agility? What's - Ohh, Agility, uh...Oh!!" In some ways they're part of what makes the game so much fun when playing the first time around.

Tank in full PvP gear. Because it has more stam and with talents they are uncrittable.... yeah right, that works- NOT!

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

ZA, doing quite well on my warrior tank alt, who is STILL stuck with a 346 blue helm. 353 drops, I'm all excited, everyone says "congrats"...except this DW frost DK who is just sitting there.

About 25 seconds or so goes by while the clock to greed/need continues to tick down...and he needs on the helm, beating me. I didn't get pissed off in chat, mind you, but I did say "Really XXXXXX, you're going to take a tanking helm from the tank that needs it?" He says "Yes, I'm an asshole. I need it for my offspec. You have enough tank gear".

I dropped.
    Damn that sucks I would have done that to if I was you and put that mfo on ignore so I would group with him again.

Also in ZG a boomkin needed on the 1h strength mace for their alt. I pointed out that once you need an epic BoE its soulbound. The person told me to shut up so I ignored em and left.
    Last edited by aqthedruid; 2011-09-01 at 11:32 PM.

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

15+ Year Old Account
    (Prior to Hunters losing their mana bar)

A Hunter was stacking MP5 gear into every gear-slot, onto every socket, and as every enchant.

Me: Why stack so much MP5 when you have Aspect of the Viper?
    Him: Viper makes me do less dps duh.
    Me: ...

Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    well, i stacked attack power as a priest in vanilla so I know how.
    I had a melee set on my mage in classic, just to be an ass to melee that wanted to duel since I didn't need gear to win anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Were you on Alterac Mountains? Look, I used seal of wisdom, and meleeing gave me pretty damn near infinite mana. The reason I used cloth was because it was all that would drop for me. I can't just magically materialize the gear I want. I had to use what I could get, and that was cloth.
    Um.. actually I am currently on Alterac Mountains, but the pally I was referring to was on gonnacrash, and it was back in kara days. Like mid BC, and she was in melee during boss fights with cleaves. I do understand that back in the day some cloth was BiS but it was still annoying to rez them all the time. I don't begrudge those that take the drops that are upgrades, but I also never understood plate wearers choosing to wear cloth instead of plate.

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kokiron View Post
    On the subject of the pally, if this was pre-cata then there's nothing wrong with that at all. Even post-cata the only issue is the cloth; meleeing the boss as a holy pally is a good plan if there's no extra danger involved (boss aoe, chaining things on the melee, etc) since they get mana on melee hit from a seal.
    It was the combination of being in cloth, and being in melee range. I think they died every fight, even trash pulls.
    Last edited by creepygnome; 2011-09-01 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

I dropped.
    i would have switched specs and changed to dps gear and said "okay, you tank"

Quote Originally Posted by creepygnome View Post
    Um.. actually I am currently on Alterac Mountains, but the pally I was referring to was on gonnacrash, and it was back in kara days. Like mid BC, and she was in melee during boss fights with cleaves. I do understand that back in the day some cloth was BiS but it was still annoying to rez them all the time. I don't begrudge those that take the drops that are upgrades, but I also never understood plate wearers choosing to wear cloth instead of plate.
    Basically a lot of items were beyond horribly itemised in BC for Holy Pallies. I didn't take any Cloth from anyone else, and while the majority of my gear was Plate, if there was an opportunity to grab a non-Plate item that was a huge stat upgrade, I definitely took it. It never caused me any problems at all in terms of being too squishy or anything else. I also recall wearing something that was Mail, but now I can't think what it was. Boots, maybe?
    Last edited by Peyj; 2011-09-01 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Oops, totally messed up my Quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keimier View Post
    Had a Lock that we ran with that would NOT equip better stat gear cause "it didn't match" her outfit.... This was in BC so I'm not sure if her attitude has changed.
    well if it hasn't at least she can still look fabulous while taking upgrades with trasmog

Sig and Avi by Isilrien <3 Priest~Hunter~Druid~Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe not as bad as some of these, but was in BT ages ago, and a lv 85 hunter needed on lv 70 hunter shoulders JUST for the 1% extra heals on his pet... never saw him wear them

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in Wrath a mage had the Hakkari Battle Token, melee/hunter trinket and was using it for the haste despite the proc being useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyj View Post
    Basically a lot of items were beyond horribly itemised in BC for Holy Pallies. I didn't take any Cloth from anyone else, and while the majority of my gear was Plate, if there was an opportunity to grab a non-Plate item that was a huge stat upgrade, I definitely took it. It never caused me any problems at all in terms of being too squishy or anything else. I also recall wearing something that was Mail, but now I can't think what it was. Boots, maybe?
    Ok, I had never heard that BC was bad for pally itemization, as far as plate gear. I remember in wrath that there wasn't a lot of leather gear that was good for resto either. But as a priest, it was always really hard to swallow when someone who can wear other gear needs on one of the few pieces that I can even equip. Granted that is why they added the armor specialization.

On an alt I was guilded with some warlock who stacked Agility gems/enchants, had green/blue agility RNG gear.. when I asked him why, he told me that Agility gives armor and casters biggest weakness was lacking armor.

(Yes, agility did/may still increase armor.)

Quote Originally Posted by Druit View Post
    I entered a ZA the other day with a Paladin Tank who was using a two-handed sword. The conversation that went down went something like this:

Me: Did you forget to switch specs?
    ::crickets::
    Me: Paladin - you're the tank. Swap over to your Prot set.
    Paladin: This is my prot set.
    Me: You're wearing a two hander and no shield.
    Paladin: Oh yeah, I get that a lot. I don't like the way the shields look.
    ::the healer and one other DPS dropped group::
    Me: Good luck with that. /leave party
    LOL, The other week i decided to tank LFD and i got ZG. It was me and 4 other guildes from another realm and i tanked the whole dungeon. At the end i was thinking why i had so little HP (177k, this was with the LFD + priest+ druid buff) and throughout the whole dungeon i was tanking in my tank spec but dps gear. Not once did i get close to dying and had no complaint, they also thanked me at the end for being a good tank.

My mind was literally fucked at how i survived the whole instance

10+ Year Old Account
    My first character in WoW was a retri pala. I was stacking intellect because I didn't want to have a dumb character.