Disc Priest: how much Spirit in HMs

I play with a semi-casual latenight raid group, and we are looking to get further into hardmode progression (10m). At the moment, we three heal all encounters (1/7HM) with myself as Disc, a Holy Pally and a Resto Druid. I sit around 2400 Spirit unbuffed with mana not being an issue, but as we look ahead to dropping down to two healers (HM Rhyolith is up next), I wonder if that'll be enough...

I recognize that how much to stack of Spirit or any other stat is a lot of personal preference for healers but am just wondering where other similarly progressed Disc Priests are sitting at, especially if they are 2 healing some HM encounters in Firelands.

..And this may not be the appropriate forum to post in, but are most 10m groups 2 or 3 healing HM Rhyolith?

My armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...salie/advanced

I'm currently 6/7HM and I heal for Shannox, Alysrazor, Beth'tilac, and Majordomo. I run with about 2500 spirit, which is more than enough for most HMs. I don't find any issues with Shannox, and mana is rarely a problem in Alysrazor and Domo with the amount of spirit I run with. Beth'tilac on the other hand is what I consider to be a hell fight for healing, and I would throw on my Tsunami Card (before I received my Jaws trinket) for more spirit on that fight.

We 2 heal Rhyolith, Alysrazor, Baleroc, and ideally Ragnaros. When we were throwing in our first H Rhyo attempts in July and tried 3 healing it, we would get Superheated when the boss was still at around 40% health. Ever since we tried 2 healing it, that enrage has never been an issue (usually RNG was our main problem, or dying in P2). I would highly recommend you guys 2 heal Rhyolith (we have the same healing comp as you, and I go Shadow for this fight so I can't speak for how mana intensive it may be as Disc).

What other trinkets do you have? I'm not much of a fan of Fiery Quintessence (I prefer raw int versus int on use / throughput healing trinkets) and personally prefer some 359 trinkets over Fiery Quintessence (namely my Tsunami Trinket and Alch Stone trinket which you wouldn't have access to).
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2011-09-01 at 07:42 PM.

I see most Discipline Priests running with somewhere between 2000 and 2500 spirit; though, I've seen some with as low as 1800 spirit and some with as high as 2700 spirit. It's (fairly) largely personal preference, but, as you move into HMs (where you are *almost* required to two-heal a lot of fights), you'll find that you should probably aim for the 2200-2500 range so you can be sure to have enough "throughput stats" to push through the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

I usually run between 2200-2500; Rapture is our biggest regen source, and I've been reforging some of that spirit into throughput stats. Spirit, at its core is one of the biggest reasons Holy's throughput lags behind... so as Disc, with Int as our biggest regen stat, Id rather stack throughput stats (MST, HST, CRT) over SPI.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm at 2700, but I don't feel I need it that high. I'll probably be reforging/un-reforging a few things this weekend.

Deleted
    It really depends on how hard your group pushes your mana pool, and ofc how good you are at keeping Rapture on cd.

10+ Year Old Account
    ceph, are you doing h.rag as holy or disc?

i have way too much spirit i'm starting to realize... thinking about reforging a good chunk of it away for my disc spec... i think i hover around 3400 spirit rad buffed... oops

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikayo View Post
    ceph, are you doing h.rag as holy or disc?
    Holy.

Our comp is current 1 resto druid 1 holy pala and 2 holy priests. :P

I have around 3600 spirit on my disc priest between my 2650 on gear, 4pc t11, and tsunami. It's only an alt that's 6/7 normals though

Spirit is realatively unimportant as a stat for disc. Your greatest form of mana regen is intellect. If you a running a hybrid spec (holy and disc) then you'd obviously need to keep a relatively large amount of spirit for holy. But if your just planning on play disc then really even 1800 spirit will do depending on how much INT you have. Spirit won't play a large part of your mana regen as disc.

Deleted
    I'm currently 4/7hc 25man playing disc only as on offspec to shadow. i'm sitting around 1900spirit without any spirit procs (only JoD). I sit at around 153k mana in a raid.
    I run a full haste build sitting on around 2k haste, 1k mastery and about 700crit.
    I have healed 3/7hc (not alys) and I consider beth to be the most taxing on mana.

here's a log showing the most recent beth kill, ignoring the first phase (I was assigned to raid healing so overinflated numbers). We're by no means a remarkable guild, probably quite typical in most senses as far as raid dps, damage taken, strats, gear and other healers output. if you look at the burst in the last phase and track my mana usage you can see it's quite possible to heal with rather low spirit as long as you have the mana pool to support it. My rapture was nowhere near max efficiency, and my uptime on the t12 2pc is laughable.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/z...?s=5730&e=6180

ie, if you play disc as a main spec and manage to optimise your play I believe running with as low as 1500spirit would be possible with a decent amount of mana.
    Last edited by mmocc73a7e76d4; 2011-09-04 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link, derp

Tankhealer can get away with less.

Raidhealer needs more.

I raidheal 10man i run with mostly Spirit/Haste gear... Sure i have much more regen then needed during a easy phase but when all hell breaks loose I use that haste of mine n burn som mana, then my lovely regen is needed to last the rest of the fight

Deleted
    I'm running with 2858 at 6/7 hc progressing on rag hc. I don't really get the whole "gearing for throughput" as if spirit didn't give anything. You can always change your spell selection for more throughput. More shields = more throughput, more flash heals = more throughput etc. And spirit does give you a nice buffer for those times where you need it the most.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-09-05 at 03:48 PM.