Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Abnixx"ish" Arcane Mage

Hey guys,

I have recently respecced arcane for PvP (my os is now a PvE arcane spec).

I did this primarily for RBG's as I am leading an RBG group and we are finally getting our core guys set up and plowing through the 1800's on our way to 2k. However, this is not my question.

I was simply not expecting this spec to be anything in arena and just figured I would scrape for my 2's points with a spriest or something and get the rest via RBG's. Well, I found Abnixx in Durotar the other day simply WRECKING people in duels no matter their spec. What popped out to me the most is that he, almost, never casted AB. Now, aparently I am not educated in this, but is not AB where the bulk of Arcane damage comes from?

I did some more reading on him and he says that his main 3 damage spells are ABarr, Ice Lance, and FB. 3 different schools of spells. I tried this, and I get roflstomped in every duel against every class basically. i am simply not doing something right, but I do not know what that is. He is HUGE on CC and I am working on that in Arena to focus more on chain cc's poly's, imp procs, etc. However, he is still absolutely wrecking people in duels as that same spec! How is this? What am I missing?

I even regemmed/reforged everything to haste outside of my hit cap. My armory is linked below for reference. Any help?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nchiale/simple

I also have a stream that I use quite often, please feel free to hop on and critisize anytime. I am always open to suggestions (both stream quality and play quality).

www.twitch.tv/dusteyy

Thanks in advance for any help!

Deleted
    Tried a shatter spec?

Quote Originally Posted by vaztes View Post
    Tried a shatter spec?
    I have not. I have heard of it, but not tried it.

The one that Abnixx is currently using actually has zero frost talents and specs 2/2 for both Blazing Speed and Impact. I found that pretty interesting as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusteyy View Post
    I have not. I have heard of it, but not tried it.

The one that Abnixx is currently using actually has zero frost talents and specs 2/2 for both Blazing Speed and Impact. I found that pretty interesting as well.
    Sounds interesting indeed. Honestly no idea how he can pull it off. I can imagine with shatter its alot easier to learn but.

Its hard when i havent seen him play tbh.

Deleted
    His explanation, specs, and macros, etc.

http://www.skill-capped.com/content/...ts-arcane-mage
    Seems like it would take a good amount of practice to pull off.

However it dosent show he he duels

Seems like it would take a good amount of practice to pull off.

However it dosent show he he duels
    Exactly. The ONE time I dueled him, I was frost and had no clue who he was and was not expecting anything. I dont remember getting poly'd at all or him ever casting AB, but I died before I could do anything about it. It was nuts.

Deleted
    Exactly. The ONE time I dueled him, I was frost and had no clue who he was and was not expecting anything. I dont remember getting poly'd at all or him ever casting AB, but I died before I could do anything about it. It was nuts.
    Almost sounds too good to be true.

Ah well, there's not much i can help with other than trying a shatter spec for arcane.

Link to it? And the theory of the spec? What the goal of it is?

Deleted
    Link to it? And the theory of the spec? What the goal of it is?
    you spec into the frost tree and take points in "shatter" i think its named. And improved cone of cold is often a choice too. It means everytime you have a target frozen you will crit. this can be verry usefull.

I could imagine a sheep, 2 arcane blast, freeze and blast again. could be a nice burst against melee.

Im playing shatter as fire but havent tried arcan yet, bet you should just mess around

you spec into the frost tree and take points in "shatter" i think its named. And improved cone of cold is often a choice too. It means everytime you have a target frozen you will crit. this can be verry usefull.

I could imagine a sheep, 2 arcane blast, freeze and blast again. could be a nice burst against melee.

Im playing shatter as fire but havent tried arcan yet, bet you should just mess around
    Seems incredibly AB cast reliant. I don't want to have to rely on casting AB to do my damage. I want to be mobile and instant cast and rape face.

Deleted
    Seems incredibly AB cast reliant. I don't want to have to rely on casting AB to do my damage. I want to be mobile and instant cast and rape face.
    Then fire shatter is the way to go ;p

It eats healers alive.

Deleted
    Pretty hilarious how "King" Abni can't play anything other than arcane. Ever.

I personally don't think arcane is good at all in high rated RBGs, I play around 2600-2800 MMR and we haven't faced a single arcane mage, not even when facing 2-2.2k rated teams (if no one high's playing). Frost just brings so much more into the table and if played well (usually paired with a SP, another mage and a rogue) WILL do WAY more damage than an arcane mage. It doesn't even compare, as arcane you'll get trained every time you res (much like we and everyone else always does to moonkins) and hardly even get to cast AB - which is what you'd be looking to cast in an RBG situation, all the time - and you'll get nuked in seconds. Even if you survived, it doesn't matter if you crit someone for 40k or 50k, if you play with competent people ANYTHING will die in a deep freeze if you're frost, no matter what class/spec they are, so what's the point in having a glass cannon when you can kill someone in 1 second anyway playing a much more well-rounded spec?

Hey guys,

I have recently respecced arcane for PvP (my os is now a PvE arcane spec).

I did this primarily for RBG's as I am leading an RBG group and we are finally getting our core guys set up and plowing through the 1800's on our way to 2k. However, this is not my question.

I was simply not expecting this spec to be anything in arena and just figured I would scrape for my 2's points with a spriest or something and get the rest via RBG's. Well, I found Abnixx in Durotar the other day simply WRECKING people in duels no matter their spec. What popped out to me the most is that he, almost, never casted AB. Now, aparently I am not educated in this, but is not AB where the bulk of Arcane damage comes from?

I did some more reading on him and he says that his main 3 damage spells are ABarr, Ice Lance, and FB. 3 different schools of spells. I tried this, and I get roflstomped in every duel against every class basically. i am simply not doing something right, but I do not know what that is. He is HUGE on CC and I am working on that in Arena to focus more on chain cc's poly's, imp procs, etc. However, he is still absolutely wrecking people in duels as that same spec! How is this? What am I missing?

I even regemmed/reforged everything to haste outside of my hit cap. My armory is linked below for reference. Any help?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nchiale/simple

I also have a stream that I use quite often, please feel free to hop on and critisize anytime. I am always open to suggestions (both stream quality and play quality).

www.twitch.tv/dusteyy

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Sorry but if that's the REAL Abni, he's been playing arcane competitively since TBC so I wouldn't try to mirror him. That guy was a beast. I assume it's not though, as I thought he quit a long time ago.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    Pretty hilarious how "King" Abni can't play anything other than arcane. Ever.

I personally don't think arcane is good at all in high rated RBGs, I play around 2600-2800 MMR and we haven't faced a single arcane mage, not even when facing 2-2.2k rated teams (if no one high's playing). Frost just brings so much more into the table and if played well (usually paired with a SP, another mage and a rogue) WILL do WAY more damage than an arcane mage. It doesn't even compare, as arcane you'll get trained every time you res (much like we and everyone else always does to moonkins) and hardly even get to cast AB - which is what you'd be looking to cast in an RBG situation, all the time - and you'll get nuked in seconds. Even if you survived, it doesn't matter if you crit someone for 40k or 50k, if you play with competent people ANYTHING will die in a deep freeze if you're frost, no matter what class/spec they are, so what's the point in having a glass cannon when you can kill someone in 1 second anyway playing a much more well-rounded spec?
    If you are sneaky enough, and do not go in trumpets blaring to a fight as arcane and sneak in the back and just quietly roll stacks, you can do pretty well. I agree with frost, I love the control it brings and all that. However, your stress on DF is misleading I believe. Correct me if I am wrong, but cannot Deep Freeze be cleansed/removed by healers? I feel that this is the case, 95% of the time and it cannot be relied upon as a single source to kill someone.

Am I wrong?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are sneaky enough, and do not go in trumpets blaring to a fight as arcane and sneak in the back and just quietly roll stacks, you can do pretty well. I agree with frost, I love the control it brings and all that. However, your stress on DF is misleading I believe. Correct me if I am wrong, but cannot Deep Freeze be cleansed/removed by healers? I feel that this is the case, 95% of the time and it cannot be relied upon as a single source to kill someone.

Am I wrong?
    Yes, you can remove Deep Freeze with dispels as a healer.

Although, a lot of the time in a RBG there will be dots on him and other magic debuffs that you'll end up dispelling instead and by the time you get to it he'll be out of it.
    Last edited by Yotei; 2011-09-01 at 09:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
    Sorry but if that's the REAL Abni, he's been playing arcane competitively since TBC so I wouldn't try to mirror him. That guy was a beast. I assume it's not though, as I thought he quit a long time ago.
    Judging by the number of gladiator feats of strenght and the rank 1 title i'd say its the real abni

Quote Originally Posted by Yotei View Post
    Yes, you can remove Deep Freeze with dispels as a healer.

Although, a lot of the time in a RBG there will be dots on him and other magic debuffs that you'll end up dispelling instead and by the time you get to it he'll be out of it.
    True, but any non-retarded RBG group will be spam dispelling the current target. Any new dots/debuffs will be stripped immediately I would assume.