Deleted

Laptops - Buying a new one for College and a lil gaming

I'm in need of a new laptop for my college and I really can't put my finger on a good one...

Most of the time i'll be using it for creating documents in Word or using Dreamweaver/Photoshop - However I hope to do some casual gaming on the side when I go for a café (Mainly 32bit programs like WoW/LoL and the occasional Killing Floor) so 2gb ram is probably ideal, 1gb for OS and 1gb for w/e i'm runing and a dual processor (Yeah, Photoshop uses a lot of a RAM but I when I use it I won't be running many things)

I'd like to run LoL and WoW on ideally on 40-50 FPS at all times with medium graphics (with shadows off obviously) and my budget being around £450/508 euro/$733

Am I aiming too high for such a low price? Could someone please reccomend anything they can

Thankies!

Hi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214405

I was looking at this yesterday, toshiba sattelites are pretty good, had one a while back that lasted a long time. I. Don't own this particular one but the price is pretty good for what you get and seems to match what you are looking for
    Hi, I'm Lerty.

Deleted
    Damn that is one mighty fine laptop for the price - Thanks a lot going to research that one.. If anyone else has anymore recommendations I would be extremely thankful.. That laptop is a hell of a lot better then the one i was looking that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa Saurus View Post
    Damn that is one mighty fine laptop for the price - Thanks a lot going to research that one.. If anyone else has anymore recommendations I would be extremely thankful.. That laptop is a hell of a lot better then the one i was looking that
    <snip>

Where are you based?
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-01 at 09:53 PM.

I think I can do better than that.
    -Same one but $50 more but with i7 2630QM instead =/. Out of your budget tho.

The only problem is that newegg JUST went out of stock.

It has
    +250Gigs HDD
    +7200RPM HDD
    +GT 540M (vs GT 525M)
    +2g RAM

All for only $50 more.
    Last edited by Arslay; 2011-09-01 at 08:05 PM.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    Well - i'll do better too:

Slower drive (but 750GB), much beefier graphics, double the ram for $75 more.

http://www.abt.com/product/54515/Lenovo-08622MU.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    I think I can do better than that.

The only problem is that newegg JUST went out of stock.

It has
    +250Gigs HDD
    +7200RPM HDD
    +GT 540M (vs GT 525M)
    +2g RAM

All for only $50 more.
    That's well worth the extra cost, i'm actually English (North East) so ordering from US websites probably isn't ideal because of the delivery costs

Edit: I forgot to mention, 13-15.6 inches is probably the best screen size to be carrying around for 7 hours a day - Weight isn't that much of a problem I won't be carrying very many books with it (Probably about 1) and Hard drive size isn't that much of an issue upto a degree, as it'll mostly be full of documents and the occasional game
    Last edited by mmoc8f80ecf50e; 2011-09-01 at 08:09 PM.

ASUS laptops look really sleek. Not sure if thats important to you.

Deleted
    Aha - for the UK (i'm UK based) take a look at scan.co.uk

usually a couple of deals on decent laptops.

Bought an MSI GX660R from there (i5, 6 GiB ram, 2x500GB drives in raid-0, Ati 5870 graphics, 1920x1080 screen) for £850.

Your budget might be a bit lower but you'll find something

Alternatively, google "tesco outlet" or take a look at sainsbury's. They both do a fairly random mix of basic, crappy laptops with a couple of well specced ones. Teco outlet is ebay but still 1 year warrenty.

Have a look at google.co.uk shopping search, avoid pc-titan though, complete scam.
    Last edited by mmoc4fd64f6c8d; 2011-09-01 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    ASUS laptops look really sleek. Not sure if thats important to you.
    No, its not XD But I do agree, i'm pretty much an Asus fanboy when it comes to mobo's and gfx

No, its not XD But I do agree, i'm pretty much an Asus fanboy when it comes to mobo's and gfx
    What I mean is that Asus laptops come with brushed metal cases and the like (kind of like Macbooks) where as HP and Dell generally have plastic cases.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    What I mean is that Asus laptops come with brushed metal cases and the like (kind of like Macbooks) where as HP and Dell generally have plastic cases.
    Ah I understand, I haven't had much luck with Dell's - I bought an Inspiron 1720 and have hated it, had to reinstall the OS, the front of it set on fire, its cheap plastic casing started to fall off after 2 years, all printed symbols rubbed off, had to replace the charger about 15 times, replaced the battery twice, performance issues a lot (30fps on min graphics, 30fps on medium graphics)

It's pretty much the worst laptop you can think of

[QUOTE=Imamage;13006969]Well - i'll do better too:

Slower drive (but 750GB), much beefier graphics, double the ram for $75 more.

For this Lenovo is HORRIBLE for gaming. And lets be honest who really need 750 gigs for collage and a little gaming. Go with the Toshiba IMO it is plenty good for running whatever you need to for collage and for a little gaming. It may not be the BEST for gaming but it will get the job done no problem

Deleted
    Meh, what advantages does the i7 2630QM have? I have never had problems with Asus so I would be interested in investing more if it's a big advantage as well as it looks really thin (not too sure about the last picture on amazon though lol)

The i7 2630QM has 4 physical cores (as opposed to the i5 2410's 2) and it also has hyper-threading. (Though, the i5 2410 does too.) They both have the same turbo frequncy (when at load). Lastly, the i7 2630QM has a 6m cache instead of 3m.

PCPartPicker Love it.

Meh, what advantages does the i7 2630QM have? I have never had problems with Asus so I would be interested in investing more if it's a big advantage as well as it looks really thin (not too sure about the last picture on amazon though lol)
    The advantages, unless Im mistaken, is that it can turbo up to 2.9GHz even if all cores are in use when the i5 can only do it with one, iirc - 2.6 with both in use. And that it has four cores, all hyperthreaded in difference to the i5 whom has 2 with HT. Bigger cache as well.

While the more cores look like it will have no impact, do take into consideration that it will be easier offloading background tasks and the fact that Wow prefers tri-core (or above) to dualcore, although dual cores work all fine and dandy.
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    And is that a big advantage? Or is it not worth paying the extra money - FPS wise will this be a considerable upgrade?

It is certainly worth $50. (Pretty much double the CPU power if I am correct?)

PCPartPicker Love it.