View Poll Results: Which license do you want turned into an mmo?

Voters
14. This poll is closed
  • A Song of Ice and Fire

6 42.86%
  • Wheel of Time

1 7.14%
  • I complain about how crappy mmo's are yet I play them and dont want new ones

7 50.00%

Idea for best fantasy mmo evar?

So I was thinking, most mmo's set in fantasy suck, period, this is not to discuss how much wow,rift, lotro, etc sucks, lets move on.

I was thinking we have two epic fantasy novel series currently in development (as in the last ones arent out yet) being The Wheel of Time, and A Song of Ice and Fire (game of thrones being the first novel), what if a reputable company (not atvi) got hold of one of these licenses and turned it into an mmo set decades after the conclusion of the novels.

Which one would you most like to see?

Personally I want ASOIAF, the world is amazing and there's so much potential.

What makes A Song of Ice and Fire great is not the world itself. What makes it great are the characters and the politics involved throughout the kingdoms. There is no way you can have that sort of political movement in an mmo so what's left is just the world. While the world is interesting enough it would just be another cookie cutter fantasy world.

It's the same thing when people talk about turning Dune into an mmo, it just wouldn't work.

The best games and mmos come from a game background. Games from other IPs just don't work nearly as well.

While I love both of the Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire, I can't really see either of them becoming an MMO. Wheel of Time has the story and the world, but would have some serious balancing issues. A Song of Ice and Fire's world just doesn't seem cut out for a real fantasy MMO; as Doozerjun stated, it's mainly about political issues and the conflicts caused by them, and it would be difficult for an MMO to portray these properly.

Also, the poll needs a fourth option, for those who want neither, yet want a new one (or may be waiting for one...).

10+ Year Old Account
    4th option: Never Ending Story, I want a tank class that is simply a stone giant on a tricycle.

I think either could be used to create a strong back story and general theme for the game but so much information would have to be created outside of the original writer(s) that it would become something different, probably too different.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say of the two wheel of time would make the better MMO, even though it's by far the worse story

the reason AsoIaF is so epic is as has already been stated the AMAZING characters, the actual world is self would translate very poorly into an MMO setting.

WoT I think would fair a bit better, we have a variety of groups that would make interesting classes, some fairly clear cut bad guys to fight against, pretty much everything needed for a solid MMO...

that said if there was a choice for 'niether of them would work I think ... would be better' I'd have picked that :P and said WTB LEGEND OF THE FIVE RINGS MMO!! would be SO frakkin badass
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wheel of Time would offer more class choices, but both series lack non human races worth playing. as noted above an mmo works better when developed as a game from the outset, translating a novel is fall of pitfalls as each individual who has read it has their own perceptions of how it would look visually, how races/characters would behave, their own spin of political dynamics etc.
    Also an MMO needs to have the ability to change adapt and grow, any mmo developed from a book is stuck withtin the confines of the novels storyline.

10+ Year Old Account
    would people stop trying to turn every franchise into an MMO?

Complains about no new IPs

Want's existing IP to span every genre.

-- Scumbag Gamer

A Game of Thrones MMO would be like any existing fantasy MMO, (Everquest, WoW, Dark Ages of Camelot, Rift) all rolled into one stay bundle of moldy bread.

The only existing IP I would like to see become a MMO is Fallout because the setting is somewhat unique to the genre, its very open in its current state, and there is tons of untapped lore. Other than that, I hope I never see another fantasy MMORPG again. Fantasy is done better in singleplayer RPGs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    4th option: Never Ending Story, I want a tank class that is simply a stone giant on a tricycle.
    WTB luck dragon mount?