Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Drain Soul Update Question

Hello all,

I run affliction and had a quick question for those that would know out there involving drain soul.

Does drain soul update automatically to the extra damage when the execute phase hits? I.e. if I cast drain soul at 27% and the first tic hits when the boss is at 25%, does it get the extra damage? I have tried to test it out and it *seems* like it does, but I wanted to make sure before I put it into practice. I know on something like a raid boss the time between 27% or 26% and 25% is going to be longer than the time it takes for a tic to get through, however I'm just doing heroics and trying to get geared at the moment. With them, I could cast it at around 27% and the first tic will hit when they get to 25% so I can start my execute phase right off the bat and have a bit more damage... if it works that is.

Thanks for any help.
    Shoespoon!

No, it doesn't.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    as far as i know it doesn't.

Deleted
    Doesn't seem to update once you hit 25%. Only a recast works.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the answers!
    Shoespoon!

it works just as shadowbolt cast -> you gain a SP proc -> shadowbolt hilts target. it dont get buffed when the cast has been initiated

Deleted
    It doesn't idd. Be sure to recast it, else you might waste a whole drain with shit ticks ;<

On the flip side of that, if for some reason you're channeling drain soul on a target that heals it will maintain it's effectiveness above 25% if you started the cast under 25%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    On the flip side of that, if for some reason you're channeling drain soul on a target that heals it will maintain it's effectiveness above 25% if you started the cast under 25%
    true, but I cant really think bout anything but pvp where this actually happens and I really doubt people gonna let you fully channel a drainsoul withouyt interupting you instantly.

drainsouler is a nice addon for tracking when to begin channeling. You can turn on a buzz sound at the 25% mark. Also provides the dmg done by each tick along with a line who indicates when next tick occurs

Quote Originally Posted by butterzz View Post
    true, but I cant really think bout anything but pvp where this actually happens and I really doubt people gonna let you fully channel a drainsoul withouyt interupting you instantly.
    Lynx boss in ZA. Just sayin...

It doesn't update automatically, but if your gcd comes up with the boss at like 25.1% health you can start the channel and then instantly re-cast it as the boss hits 25%, and as long as you cast it before the first tick it'll still do double damage. It's only going to buy you one extra tick of Drain Soul instead of a Shadow Bolt, but it's better than nothing.