Where to get a new graphics card?

So, I just bought the new deus ex game on my computer, thinking i could run it pretty well, but with my current graphics card, i can barely run it on my computer on the bare minimum settings.

I figured the problem is my graphics card but I'm not sure where I could get a good one to replace it.

Does anyone know of any good stores that sell good quality graphics cards? I'm hoping for a retail store so I wont have to wait for shipping and whatever but I will go online if needed.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I am currently using a NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M if that helps at all

10+ Year Old Account
    I am also shopping for a video card, and was wondering of some decent ones from maybe Newegg.com . I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 3400 series and its not so good for running games, even games like League of Legends I cant run on 100% without major lag.

Im looking to spend no more than $400... $250 being ideal.

Edit: OT: Newegg would be the place to buy, or maybe a local store like Bestbuy... But as far as to which one, im a total noob. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Armaggeden View Post
    So, I just bought the new deus ex game on my computer, thinking i could run it pretty well, but with my current graphics card, i can barely run it on my computer on the bare minimum settings.

I figured the problem is my graphics card but I'm not sure where I could get a good one to replace it.

Does anyone know of any good stores that sell good quality graphics cards? I'm hoping for a retail store so I wont have to wait for shipping and whatever but I will go online if needed.

Sounds like you have a laptop. Unless you have a special laptop you can't change the GPU in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helriser View Post
    I am also shopping for a video card, and was wondering of some decent ones from maybe Newegg.com . I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 3400 series and its not so good for running games, even games like League of Legends I cant run on 100% without major lag.

Im looking to spend no more than $400... $250 being ideal.

Edit: OT: Newegg would be the place to buy, or maybe a local store like Bestbuy... But as far as to which one, im a total noob. :P
    That should be enough for a 560Ti or 6950. Look for the MSI 560Ti Hawk or Twin Frozr II/OC editions. If you want AMD, the XFX 6950 or Gigabyte 6950.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-09-02 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added links and changed AMD cards

Which country are you in OP?

Deleted
    That should be enough for a 560Ti or 6950. Look for the MSI 560Ti Hawk or Twin Frozr II/OC editions. If you want AMD, Sapphire 6950 Dirt 3 Edition or MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III/OC.
    Don't get the Hawk/Twin Frozr III. That thing is already loud at 40% and 60% it's like standing next to a landing plane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    That should be enough for a 560Ti or 6950. Look for the MSI 560Ti Hawk or Twin Frozr II/OC editions. If you want AMD, Sapphire 6950 Dirt 3 Edition or MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III/OC.
    Ok so, From someone farther down, it looks as if the AMD sapphire 6950 is the best bet...? I want to learn a thing or two about them, so what makes these better than others? Sound apparently is an issue, and Ive heard from others that the clock speeds (im not messing with that btw) matters... The higher the number, the better?
    Last edited by Helriser; 2011-09-02 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helriser View Post
    Ok so, From someone farther down, it looks as if the AMD sapphire 6950 is the best bet...? I want to learn a thing or two about them, so what makes these better than others? Sound apparently is an issue, and Ive heard from others that the clock speeds (im not messing with that btw) matters... The higher the number, the better?
    6950 and 560Ti are pretty much even. You can't compare clockspeeds between different cards, you actually have to look at benchmarks to see how they perform relative to eachother.
    If you want a silent card, look for ASUS DCII cards. Those are the most silent.

You can compare equal cards from different manufacturers, a 560Ti @900MHz will give better results than a 560Ti @822MHz.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-09-02 at 06:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armaggeden View Post

That's a laptop card. Replacing your laptop GPU likely isn't an option.

Deleted
    GT 240M is a notebook card. Get a workstation/desktop if you want to even think about upgrading.

So because I'm using a laptop, I'm stuck with a shitty graphics card? Also, my laptop is an alien ware M15X , is this one a 'special laptop that can be upgraded or no? Cause I would really like to not have to get a whole new computer just for deus ex...

Newegg 100 percent, You do know that an alien ware is a dell right?

I'm no expert, but from my experience of taking apart laptops, the video cards can be replaced but upgrading them is hard because they are made to fit for each laptop. You can't just stick any old card in there, unlike a desktop. You probably have to get one specifically for the M15X, and in all likelihood it would be the same card, or barely an upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya unfortunately the M15Xs GPU does not have the ability to be upgraded GPU wise. There are other people asking the same thing in a few google searches where they actually called Alienware and they stated that the customer service people have told them no multiple times now.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

6950 Toxic is the fastest from all of the 6950s or 560 Tis. Also the best overclocker.

And even assuming it does have an MXM slot to swap out the GPU, you wouldn't be able to get something leaps better than what you have. The new GPU would use more power and the AC adapter for the laptop wouldn't be able to provide it. Plus it'd be stupid expensive.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2