Requesting help with 25H Rhyolith

My guild is currently pushing H Rhyo as our second heroic 25 kill and we seem to be hitting a road block. I will try and give as much info as I can without wall of text crit. On our good attempts (which have been a 1% and about a half dozen 5-6% wipes) we seem to always hit the superheated mark right on transition, a couple seconds before, or a couple seconds after. We definitely know we are not getting him transitioned soon enough, however when we try and make changes to maximize add dps to down adds quicker so we can help focus down legs we seem to invent new ways of wiping. As our guild ranged officer I try and change who I want staying on fragments and who i want pushing the sparks and I'm afraid I have run out of ideas. We currently have the ranged dps switch to spark at 4 stacks, I have locks not switching to make sure fragments go down and 1-2 SV hunters staying on frags as well. We do not touch the 4th spark and we blow hero to try and transition to p2 as well. I think we have been calling for the all out switch to legs when 4th add spawns, would it be better to call for it once 3rd add dies? Our comp can vary (as you will be able to see from logs) but usually we can run with 1-2 locks, 2-3 hunters, 1 SP, 3-4 mages, 1 boomkin (2nd usually as a sub), 1 ele, 2 furys, 2 rets, 1 DW frost, 1-2 rogues, 1 kitty, 2 tanks (pally/DK, and warrior). We do have some flexibility as we have a good number of ranged sitting.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/6811/

We usually use Tuesday/Thursday as nights to put attempts in on him. I guess I'd be interested in advice concerning our ~5 min long wipes as those are our best attempts. I'd love to be able to come to the RL's with something fresh as our entire group almost looks at this encounter in a pessemistic point of view which can be disastrous to progression raiding. Any and all help is appreciated!
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if it'll help you any, but I'll repost some tips I gave a few days ago:
    There's a couple of important points that brought us to our first kill:

1) Timings:
    3:50 - A wave of Fragments spawn. Kill.
    4:15 - 4th Spark spawns. Offtank.
    4:40 - Another wave of Fragments. Offtank.

2) We aim to bloodlust when the 3:50 wave dies, roughly. Like 4:10-4:20 or so. I know there's guilds that save their BL to phase 2, but that didn't work for us.

3) Assign some people to a fixed legs, they stay on that leg unless driver specifically asks them to switch. Some other people are switching more regularly, as the driver calls out. These people in the second group should still be assigned a leg, which they focus on when you want boss to go straight. At the start of our progress, we had everyone assigned on legs switch as the driver called out, but we found using the above tactic much more stable and reliable.
    We had a bunch of heart breaking <1% wipes before finally getting the kill.

You can cut down pretty far on add dps and still be fine. As little as two dps can handle fragments though you can assign three for progression. In your case the shadow priest, lock and one hunter. Have the other two hunters go marks and put them with the two mages on sparks along with dots from any multidot class.

Everyone else can focus the legs and you can burn him from ~42% with a lust at about 30%. Make sure you kill fragments if they spawn early in the burn phase. If it's a spark though, ignore it.

Thanks for the quick replies. I am cutting and pasting into our guild forums with these suggestions. Much appreciated.
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

We have 2 arcane mages and an atonement spec disc priest on the sparks fulltime, while every other ranged keeps a full set of dots on both legs at all times, to make turning him a bit less "bursty", and also keep a set of DoTs on the spark, but never focusing it. Atonement disc priest is really good because when the spark is at 10 stacks the smite heals heal for 100% more, and help offset the random damages taken from manga flows and other stuff during the fight. Just have your offtank pop a CD when the spark is at 9-10 stacks, and it should be close to death by then. With only 2 ranged on the spark, and the fragments being brought to the melee and cleaved down together with ranged aoe, you get a shit ton more DPS on the legs themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzosk View Post
    while every other ranged keeps a full set of dots on both legs at all times, to make turning him a bit less "bursty", and also keep a set of DoTs on the spark,
    Periodic Damage doesn't trigger the turn. It's a good idea for DoT classes to roll multi-dots at all times, but don't think it affects the turning at all.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

I do think your timming is a little off. Assuming you kill the 3rd spark at around 8-10 stacks. There should be a set of fragments spawning immediately as the spark dies. We drag this group to melee for everyone to cleave, and then we pop hero as they're dying. Then about 10 seconds later the 4th spark should spawn, which you ignore, and then another 10 seconds or so, another set of fragments spawn which you also ignore. This might help you push the p2 a little sooner.

We typically use 4 AoE on the fragments (Warlock/S.priest/Moonkin), and 3 Hunters and a Mage on the Sparks full time. All other DPS are on the legs, and we ignore the Blobs all together. The only ones that die are the ones running through the AOE.

The big change we made a few weeks, after wiping many many times, was after the third spark dies, we clean up the next set of fragments, and burn one leg of the boss, ignoring volcanos all together. He just pivots on whichever leg we choose, determined by his location in the room. This allotted us MUCH higher DPS on the legs; between the debuffs, lack of movement, and ignoring having to watch for volcanoes. We hit superheated well before the 5 min mark, and bloodlust around 30% to burn him, usually killing him around/before the 3rd stomp.