"Post Quick Reply"?? Why not just "post reply"?

So... on a side note about these forums... why is when I post a reply on the forums, instead of just reading "Post Reply" it says "Post Quick reply"?

I mean... is there some option where I can post a slow-ass reply that I don't know of? Maybe a procrastinated reply? What if I wanted a "Lightspeed" reply?

Why is it a "quick" reply instead of just "reply"? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I've asked myself that same question if someone will enlighten us. Also, does anyone else have a problem when posting on mmo champion using Chrome lately. Sometimes when I press Enter it just crashes the page for some reason.

Quick reply is when you reply to a thread using the box on the same page as the posts. A normal reply is clicking the green "+Reply to Thread" button, which takes you to a separate page from the posts.

Thus, it's "quick" because it saves you a page load. Why have the option of a normal reply page, then? It's beyond me why it still exists today, but before quick reply existed, that's how forums used to do it.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Fancy Title Here :D

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekr View Post
    Thus, it's "quick" because it saves you a page load. Why have the option of a normal reply page, then? It's beyond me why it still exists today, but before quick reply existed, that's how forums used to do it.
    Because the normal reply has formatting tools that don't appear under Quick Reply. Also you can add icons and titles and such to your post!

Deleted
    the hint was in the next button: Go Advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekr View Post
    Quick reply is when you reply to a thread using the box on the same page as the posts. A normal reply is clicking the green "+Reply to Thread" button, which takes you to a separate page from the posts.
    Actually, clicking on the green button just puts me down in the "Quick Reply" box. But as eternal said, if you click on "Go Advanced" in the bottom right of the reply box, it takes you to a separate page that has a lot more formatting options than just the "Quick Reply" box.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Actually, clicking on the green button just puts me down in the "Quick Reply" box. But as eternal said, if you click on "Go Advanced" in the bottom right of the reply box, it takes you to a separate page that has a lot more formatting options than just the "Quick Reply" box.
    That's odd. When I was clicking on the green reply button earlier (literally right before I made my post, to test it), it was bringing me to a separate page. Now it's bringing me to the quick reply box, too. When I look at the URL of the green reply button, it looks like it should load a new page, so I'm not sure why it's changed now.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    So... on a side note about these forums... why is when I post a reply on the forums, instead of just reading "Post Reply" it says "Post Quick reply"?

I mean... is there some option where I can post a slow-ass reply that I don't know of? Maybe a procrastinated reply? What if I wanted a "Lightspeed" reply?

Why is it a "quick" reply instead of just "reply"? :P
    Talk about nitpicking about a simple name with being completely unable to notice the differences of a quick reply to an advanced reply even with 925 posts.
    Honestly man it's hard to not mock that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Talk about nitpicking about a simple name with being completely unable to notice the differences of a quick reply to an advanced reply even with 925 posts.
    Honestly man it's hard to not mock that.
    ...I'm at 925 posts? wow! :P

Have you been around on these forums for a long while? I haven't. I only started seriously posting about a couple months ago... I always hit the "reply" option when I see somebody I want to reply to... never the button in the upper-left corner of the page... which now I noticed properly for the very first time thanks to Detectivekr up there!

Maybe you were used to hitting the big green button above... but I never noticed it until now. I've never needed another button so I assumed the "reply" and "Reply with quote" were the way one (gasp!) replies to a thread! :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Wtb a ludicrous reply...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    The quick reply is there for people who work out and eat healthy, such as myself, to post before some fatty gets his opinion in. Think of it as social darwinism...only with buttons and things. Yeah...that's the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Actually, (at least for me):
    Clicking upper green button -> advanced reply
    Clicking lower green button -> quick reply
    Double clicking lower green button -> advanced reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Simbert
    You gain 4 additional girlfriends once you stop playing WoW. It is statistically proven that WoW equals 4 girlfriends. No one exactly know where they come from, but WoW is the only thing that prevents the world from being flooded with insane amounts of girls.

Actually, that is the sole reason we even play WoW. We simply could not stand all those girlfriends jumping at you at every corner of the street if we didn´t.

Deleted
    Moved to suggestions & Feedback.

Anyway.

By default the reply to threads buttons with a single click take you down to the quick reply.
    Double clicking takes you to the advanced reply window.
    Clicking on Go Advanced will take your current post (if any) and take it to the advanced reply window.
    Alt + S (shift too, for firefox/chrome users) will submit your post.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Wtb a ludicrous reply...
    And what are we going to do with the plaid all over the forums then?

On topic, while the "quick" might be sort of superfluous, i don't see any practical benefit from removing it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    I've asked myself that same question if someone will enlighten us. Also, does anyone else have a problem when posting on mmo champion using Chrome lately. Sometimes when I press Enter it just crashes the page for some reason.
    known problem MMOc has a few issue with Chrome, here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-on-this-site