Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Single GTX 580 vs. GTX 570 SLI (Value)

Hey guys.. so here's my dilemna.

I'm in a bit of a pickle with my SLI setup. I've got everything sorted except this. Partly due to my budget, partly due to how much value it'll be worth over time for my gaming (GW2 max and beyond)

My top end budget would be around £1400 for the entire pc.

With GTX 570 as both cards, it's really affordable, around 1300 pounds and I can save a bit - BUT. I'm worried about how long the 570's will last in terms of gaming performance as time goes by.

So should I just sink an extra 200 pounds on SLI GTX 580 or stick with the 570's?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you SLI 580's you'll be set for a few generations. If you SLI 570's you'll still be set for a few generations, but may not be able to max out some games in the future. I'd go SLI 570.

I agree with fuzzykins, sli 570 is a good setup. Just save the extra money to upgrade in a few years.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could always go with one card right now seeing how a 570 or a 580 will max out most games anyways right now. Then later down the road you could either buy next gen card to upgrade or add in another card to SLI later. SLIing later will most likely save you even more money because of possible price drops in the future. Just my 2 cents !
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

10+ Year Old Account
    I also have Gtx 570 sli, I hope it last for a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

I wouldn't buy two GPUs in the of doing SLI immediately. I hope you're doing (3D/"2D") surround, else it will be performance wasted.

I'd rather pick the GTX570 over the GTX580 if it were my money. And rather the HD6970 than the GTX570.

really depends on the 580 your talking about. If its the Twin Frozr III LE edition then hell id get one now and one later OCed to the max w. sli it will be powerful for quite sometime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    really depends on the 580 your talking about. If its the Twin Frozr III LE edition then hell id get one now and one later OCed to the max w. sli it will be powerful for quite sometime.
    That what i have now , one gtx 580 from MSI , the TwinFrozr Lghtning , im using factory clock speeds , getting 50+ fps in all current exiting games on ultra ( without ubersampling or other "useless" things) on a 27" 1080p screen .... WINNING ! lol

Unless ur going multiple screens or 3D , or want 100+ fps in games , sli 580s is overkill .
    Can't say anything bout 570s since i dont have any info bout them .

edit : also with a good mobo and a powerfull psu , u co go sli in the future when u need it

Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
    That what i have now , one gtx 580 from MSI , the TwinFrozr Lghtning , im using factory clock speeds , getting 50+ fps in all current exiting games on ultra ( without ubersampling or other "useless" things) on a 27" 1080p screen .... WINNING ! lol

Unless ur going multiple screens or 3D , or want 100+ fps in games , sli 580s is overkill .
    Can't say anything bout 570s since i dont have any info bout them .

edit : also with a good mobo and a powerfull psu , u co go sli in the future when u need it
    Overkill maybe but amazing definitely. Drop a nice SSHD or SSD w/ a OCed i7 and 16gigs or more lawl set for years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Overkill maybe but amazing definitely. Drop a nice SSHD or SSD w/ a OCed i7 and 16gigs or more lawl set for years.
    i agree , but for gaming , u dont need 16g of ram or OC i7 , AT THE MOMENT !!!!

Why buy 2 x 500$ cards now , when 1 is enough and in the future ull get it cheaper ?
    I have 8gb at 1600 , my mobo supports much more then 8 and at a max of 2000+ mhz , but that isnt needed now , i can upgrade in the future .

I'm running two of the 2.5 gig 570s right now in my current rig and I see fantastic results. Any game I've attempted so far has run absolutely flawlessly in SLI with max or near max settings. From the reviews that I've seen, the normal 570s run about the same as the 2.5 gig 570s under single monitor(if not better) and nearly the same under multiple monitors, so I'd assume the results would be the same. I'm extremely happy with mine, although I haven't really put anything extremely high taxing on here yet. Can't say anything for the 580, but I can toss my 2 cents in for the twin 570s.

Deleted
    SLI 590 all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    SLI 590 all the way!
    I think you meant to say "SLI MARS II all the way!"

@OP: Unless you already have a 570 I'd take a 580 now and another 580 or equivalent from the next generation. Imo it's not a good idea to start with SLI, because it limits your upgradeability.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-09-03 at 10:48 PM.

I actually really can't take well to SLI or Crossfire. I hear they both cause stuttering, and that's a terrifyingly major downside.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I actually really can't take well to SLI or Crossfire. I hear they both cause stuttering, and that's a terrifyingly major downside.
    im running gtx580 sli and i don`t notice the micro stuttering. i know its there. but its no something you notices.

i remember reading a post on overclockers.net a long time ago about micro stuttering and it was the most visible on the x58 platform because of the tri-channel memory. i can`t realy remember why the tri-channel memory had a big role in it. but it was one of the things that made me go 1156 insted
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Micro-stuttering is a major complaint among those who've never tried SLI/crossfire

Aaaaand those who did it on earlier generations of cards/mobos, but those words of caution are outdated.

But it's there for me, but only during close to 100% GPU load.

i got myself a 580 a few weeks ago, gonna buy another one IF i cant max out bf3.
    so imo (just my opinion here) if you can afford it get a 580 and then add on another one if you need to.
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Micro-stuttering is a major complaint among those who've never tried SLI/crossfire
    I can certain imagine that. Though I've also heard microstuttering diminishes significantly as you go for higher cards. Ie SLI with 550ti is apparently a painful sight, but with 570-580 it's only "enough that they notice."

Though tbf, with the hassle I hear about SLI/Crossfire driver compatibility, I can't say you're very reassuring anyway... :'D

I have the msi 580 lighting extreme. I can not wait to get another.

Deleted
    If you want to save some cash i would go with the 460sc 1gbin sli as these cost less than a single 580 and preform the same and better in most games.

---------- Post added 2011-09-04 at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post

Aaaaand those who did it on earlier generations of cards/mobos, but those words of caution are outdated.

But it's there for me, but only during close to 100% GPU load.
    TBH i never notice it tho i hear that once you notice it you cant escape the micro stutter.Thats what i hear tho i never had any problems with it.