Media Bias towards Notre Dame

Hello, I would first like to say straight up, I have nothing against Notre Dame, or really for them. I cheered for them when they were going against USC in there hayday, but that is pretty much it. I am getting incredibly frustrated with how much the media (ESPN/SI/random bloggers) talk about what basically amounts to a mediocre team. Notre Dame has not done anything substantial in years, and it just seems like no matter what, they are "in the hunt for a bcs game!"

It is really dis-heartening to see them saying that if ND gets to 10 wins, they automatically get a BCS spot because they are Notre Dame. No offense to any of there fans, but the "Mystique" around Notre Dame is nothing to most people that are not fans. its glory days are far, far behind it now. I personally predict them to finish with maybe seven wins this season, yet they will still probably sit in the top 25 because of who they are most of the season.

I know that there are real Notre Dame fans, but it just seems like the vast majority I meet or talk to are the "Boston Red Sox Bandwagon" type fans, who know basically nothing about college football, but hear about ND all the time and think its cool to cheer for them because everyone else is.

I know one die hard ND fan that actually went there, and when he asked me how I thought they would do this season (And I was not rude, I just said what I thought there w/l would be) he almost started a fist fight right there. He was literally screaming at the top of his lungs that they have a genius coach (I do not agree with that point, see his decision to throw into the end zone when a field goal would win, in range, costing them the game, amongst other mistakes) And the best roster in the game (Do not agree in any way) and they have the best fans (I know they have a ton, and some are great fans..but like I said before,, bandwagoners are all over the place just because of who they are)

I have found that Notre Dame fans also seem to complain about officiating more, to quote my friend on the issue "The officials make bogus calls against us and for our opponents because they are jealous that they could not get into notre dame" And he was SERIOUS about that.

Anyone else just sick to death of hearing about ND all the time? I can forsee the end of the season, say they finish with nine wins, I would not doubt it in the slightest if they got into a BCS game just because of who they are, when there would probably be more deserving teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only ND? Seems to me there are several teams that are favored.

I'm no fan of, for example, Boise State, but they'll never get a shot over the chosen ones.

Until there's a legitimate playoff in Division I, I CBA about who's ranked where. I know it means little, but I don't recognize any "champion" determined mostly through polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Only ND? Seems to me there are several teams that are favored.

I'm no fan of, for example, Boise State, but they'll never get a shot over the chosen ones.

Until there's a legitimate playoff in Division I, I CBA about who's ranked where. I know it means little, but I don't recognize any "champion" determined mostly through polls.
    Oh there are others, but the majority of them at least have DONE something in the last few years. ND is still getting so much attention on a bygone era.

Notre Dame doesn't get "media attention" because of their history. They get "media attention" from NBC because NBC has an exclusive contract with them and has for a long time. Despite that having been in some danger the last few years, Notre Dame games still get enough viewership to merit the trouble on NBC's part. I can't remember the last time anyone wanted to have a serious conversation about how competitive Notre Dame might be in any given year on say ESPN.