Poll: Will it take off

10+ Year Old Account

Will it take off?

So what did you think? Will it take off? I would say, yes it will.

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will take off. Done it on mythbusters before, fun to play around with irl.

Obviously. A plane doesn't generate motive power from its wheels.

For further details, see the xkcd blog post entitled "The Goddamn Airplane on the Goddamn Treadmill", which I cannot link to directly because I just registered this forum account.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It will take off. Done it on mythbusters before, fun to play around with irl.
    this, and that was a cool episode; even the pilot they hired was clueless to the physics involved... which kinda scares me about FAA regulations, tbh...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think so (:

Deleted
    No, it needs to reach 84 km/h or some such to time travel but since the treadmill is reducing it's speed to 0, it will never be able to travel in time.

Didnt airplane carriers in WW2 use a similar concept by driving straight into the wind?

Deleted
    People voting no should also explain why they think it wont fly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great and Powerful View Post
    I happen to know for a fact that the model in that picture does not have a flux capacitor.
    Well, the creator of that model could have hit hes head on a toilet sink and come up with the idea meanwhile :P

Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    People voting no should also explain why they think it wont fly
    Because the plane needs to get the wind under it's wings to fly so to say, which happens if it's moving fast. If it's standing still, it doesn't matter if the wheels are spinning, it shouldn't fly.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Because the plane needs to get the wind under it's wings to fly so to say, which happens if it's moving fast. If it's standing still, it doesn't matter if the wheels are spinning, it shouldn't fly.
    except it won't be sitting still; airplanes are not cars, the wheels do not provide drive motion, it's all driven by the force of the propeller. being on a treadmill won't change the fact that the prop still pushes the plane forward fast enough to generate lift. seriously, watch the Mythbusters episode, they go into a really good depth of detail.
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    except it won't be sitting still; airplanes are not cars, the wheels do not provide drive motion, it's all driven by the force of the propeller. being on a treadmill won't change the fact that the prop still pushes the plane forward fast enough to generate lift. seriously, watch the Mythbusters episode, they go into a really good depth of detail.
    One slight change.. I would say the prop pulls the plane forward instead of pushes since it's in the front This is exactly why though.