Computer freezes & loud hard drive

Hey,

I bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB recently and from the start I noticed it was quite noisy but it didn't bother me that much too be honest. It does a sort of grinding noise when reading files(louder and faster noise when running anti-virus and such). Is this anything to worry about?

My computer also just freezes randomly(it has done it 3 times in the past 5 days). 2 out of 3 times it was when I started Prime95 to see my temps after changing a fan and it just froze.

Is their a solution to this? Is the noise normal? I don't really feel like RMAing it because of the wait and having to reinstall everything, but if needed, I will.

Thanks

edit: I just ran Prime95 and it crashed again. I'll check if Prime95 is causing the crashes and my Hard Drive is the 6gb/s one not the 3gb/s
    Last edited by aisatsana; 2011-09-04 at 12:14 AM.

You traded speed for noise. Caviar Black hard drives are one of the fastest in the market (not including Velociraptors and SSDs).

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Random freezes like you are experiencing can be attributed to a faulty hard drive. I would suggest running HDDScan to scan for any bad blocks on the drive. Then follow that up with a memory test using MemTest86+