The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Ventrillo Servers: Which to you use?

I currently have my Ventrillo server through guildlaunch, but looking to see what other server options there are out there. I've considered mumble, because I've heard good things, but nobody in my guild is interested in mumble, so Vent it is.

Looking for pros and cons, payment types (especially looking for multiple payment options - guild launch seems limited in their options- no monthly options, or no super long options either). I'd prefer to go month to month, but have also heard there are lifetime subs, and yearly subs. out there.

Where do you go?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Deleted
    self hosting if you have a decent connection and 2nd comp. But our guild is paying for a teamspeak client

We used Vent for roughly the last 5 years or so, swapping back and forth between companies. Probably the best we ever used was Typefrag, same basic pricing as everyone else, faster and better quality service. Tried Curse for about 3 days, the servers were terrible, tech support was non existent as well. Since we've swapped over to mumble. Quality is better, there is 0 lag time, as in transmit/receives are instant. It's also by far cheaper than any Vent host out there. 50 users through commandchannel.com costs less than 25 users for vent.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had extremely good experiences with ugt-servers; in particular, their customer support is super speedy (we're talking half hour response times), polite, and actually helpful (a rarity among customer support, sadly).

I've had the same servers for years and years and it's only been down once. It was resolved in about an hour, I wanna say.

Edit: As to payment options, ugt-servers has a variety. They have month-to-month, 6 month and 1 year packages, I think. They can do direct debit. They even have a program where you can give your guildies a link where they can chip in funds if they want.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-09-04 at 02:54 PM.

There's really no such thing as a "good" Vent host, bur Typefrag sucks the least of them all, and are reasonably priced.

Once you go Mumble, you won't go back. There's simply no comparison.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    OK folks- thanks for the input.

So.. if Mumble is so good, and less expensive, perhaps I need to do a comparison- so please share your mumble info as well
    [IMG][/IMG]

The best way to show you the differences between mumble and vent, in my opinion, is simply trying it out yourself with a friend. Even better if you can be on 2 computers in the same house. Commandchannel.com, and probably other places Im sure, have test servers to let you try them out. Connect to vent on both, sitting next to each other, talk back and forth. Then do the same with mumble. '

People grumbled when I made them swap, because people dislike change and can be lazy, but ever since Ive heard nothing but good things. The ONLY bad experience thus far is with a single guild member, who is just a fill in for raids when we are missing someone. For whatever reason he cant run it without it crashing the computer, but he is having other comp issues as well, he has to kill tasks with task manager to even get it to boot, so I seriously doubt its a mumble issue. Even our most technological noobish members were able to set it up and get it working without an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammabones View Post
    OK folks- thanks for the input.

So.. if Mumble is so good, and less expensive, perhaps I need to do a comparison- so please share your mumble info as well

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Poor quality, rural, "high speed wireless broadband".. so no, not a good connection

Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    self hosting if you have a decent connection and 2nd comp. But our guild is paying for a teamspeak client
    [IMG][/IMG]

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    My guild uses Ventrillo hosted by Curse. It is pretty cheap and we have never had an issue with it going down