10+ Year Old Account

Windows Homegroup reset

Looking for a way to "reset" the homegroup.

Over the past few month's we've managed to blaze through 4 or 5 different routers (upgrading from G to N), replacing them because its easier cheaper and quicker than fault finding (BT just send out a new Hub whenever we have a problem with ours now.... the latest problem being that the Hub will randomly disconnect everyone from the network (wired and wireless) and then requires a reset before it will allow anyone to reconnect (the network is there wirelessly, just can't connect to it)

I'm guessing that because of all the changes to the network that the Homegroup is not functioning properly (I can no longer access any files on any of the other machines on the network even when I type in the local ip/full address path) So now I'm wondering if there is a way to reset the homegroup (as it doesn't seem to have changed anything between each of the different hubs we have used.)

When I've had to change routers or reconfigure the network, I just leave the homegroup on every computer and build a new one. Mildly tedious at worst.
    Super casual.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Copied from Microsoft Support Forum
    Hi getSEVEN,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

Methods I would recommend are:

Method 1:

Create system restore point. Steps to follow:

i. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

ii. In the left pane, click System Protection. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

iii. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

iv. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

Method 2:

Boot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if that helps. Steps to boot:

i. Restart the computer

ii. Start tapping F8 key

iii. You will get advanced boot option window

iv. Select the option “Safe mode with networking”

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode

Method 3:

Disable or uninstall the firewall or anti-virus installed on your computer and then check if the issue is resolved.

Method 4:

Delete Peer Networking file from this location, restart the computer and check if the issue is resolved.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

Method 5:

Try to set a new home group and check, if that helps. Below link will help you set home group: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...g-the-easy-way

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike the homegroup setup because I had many issues trying to setup one that I gave up and looked for an alternative. Hamachi is what I found and it has worked perfect, not to mention easy setup process. I recommend it to anyone trying to connect computers online.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/.../download.aspx

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesjr View Post
    I dislike the homegroup setup because I had many issues trying to setup one that I gave up and looked for an alternative. Hamachi is what I found and it has worked perfect, not to mention easy setup process. I recommend it to anyone trying to connect computers online.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/.../download.aspx
    Why create a Virtual Private Network when I have a Physical Private Network?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't you just networking 1-2 computers in terms of wireless? Which leads into,

Physical Private Network
    Homegroup? Physical? wth?

Also I did the local ip/full address path and still had issues even connecting onto the same network, (laptop saw pc, pc didn't see laptop) besides the point. Did all the microsoft help pages nothing worked. Problem (homegroup) - Solution ( Hamachi, at least for me)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but Hamachi is designed to create a Virtual Private Network with Geographically remote clients. In this case all the clients are geographically local to each other and the only real problem with the Homegroup is that it hasn't updated the network locations between the different routers.