Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Couple questions for 10m normal ragnaros

Our first time getting to normal ragnaros (late i know)
    Anyway, we keep dying to the first phase transition. I am curious as to how I should split up the DPS for it.

Our raid comp:
    tanks: DK and Druid
    dps: shadow priest, arc mage, mm hunter, frost dk, fury warrior
    healers: holy priest, holy paladin, resto druid

Also, even though we haven't reached p3, who is supposed to attack the rolling ball and when? Just the person getting chased by it?

Also, any other tips/advice you'd have is greatly appreciated!

we put the burst damage dps on the 2 nearest adds. (in our setup, mm hunter & enh shammy) stun if necessary. i think in your group fury warrior and mm hunter with stun pet if necessary... and holy pally helping with stun.
    more dps on next 2 (i think frost dk and arcane mage good choices)
    shadow priest helping with last adds, and other ranged dps helping with the last adds.

If the hammer is on the sides, we put our two melee DPS in the corner where just the two spawn. If it's in the middle, we put the two melee on the closest adds on each side.

Hunters make good safeties, as they can quickly deal bursts of damage to mobs that are getting loose, slowing them and giving you more time to finish them off. Remind your DPS that once the adds get to 50%, they move like snails so they should re prioritize their DPS if an add is at 50 or below and still fairly far from the hammer.

Try not to rely too much on your tanks to DPS the adds, because if you become to reliant on them, you'll get screwed over in the second transition where your tanks may be too busy to help.

Don't be afraid to have your holy paladin and resto druid help out with stuns. I play a holy pally - I glyphed Holy Wrath to stun 2 adds for seconds each, and then I would hammer of justice another one. Resto can go bear for a quick stun. Have your druid tank use his stun too, even in the second transition. Your DK tank can also death grip an add - great to have for emergencies.

I'd also recommend that you practice leaving one Son of Flame add alive for as long as you can (no longer than 45 seconds as then Rag will pop back up automatically and kill you). You'll want to have the extra time to DPS the Scions more in the second transition so as to shorten the last phase.

As for the meteors, yeah, try to only have the people being chased hit them. And try to make sure to bring them way off to the sides before hitting them, so as to minimize the risk of knocking meteors into party members.

assign people on respective adds in different scenarious: 1st one - when it lands in middle, 2nd - when it lands on side. Also make sure people use their stuns(even resto druid can go bear and press "bash", so can paladin healer) and death grips. Shadow priest should be using mind spike to kill the adds instead of dotting them. You got really solid combo to deal with the adds tbh

We assign adds around the hammer left to right with Frost DK, Arcane Mage, Prot Pally stuns, holy pally, shadow priest, prot warrior, marks hunter, ele shaman with emergency tstorm, fury warrior. It's not always that exact but everyone has one or two adds they're dedicated to pushing to 50%. After they drop below 50%, they're extremely slow and easy to manage. Death grip, typhoon, tstorm, and stuns are your best friend when they start getting close.

Use your bear's stuns on close ones. Holy paladin can stun one as well. We had a plan where our resto druid (we two heal it) could go bear and bash one if needed but it hasn't been necessary.
    I can push the back 3 down as a frost dk while our arcane mage 50%s his then rotates left to assist. I start on the 3rd from back, hitting rag until I have a KM proc and hopefully a Rime as well. Outbreak, KM'd OB, OB and that 3rd add is slowed so I switch to the next two as they start to move. Push the closest to 50% and grip the furthest back to me. If it's phase 1 transition I kill it. If it's phase 2, I save it to allow us more burn time on the scions and our prot warrior comes to finish it while prot pally tanks scions.

Only difference with phase 2 transition is the lava scion pickup and avoiding dropping fire in front of the adds.

Our original strategy for handling meteors in phase 3 works but it's not optimal and definitely doesn't work if you want to kill/push Rag with max 3 meteors (translation: we changed out strat after our first couple of kills). The raid groups up somewhat in the middle. The meteors that spawn can be kited to the outside (minding smash waves and lava spawns) by the target and knocked back by the target once you reach the other corner. Be careful not to hit other people.

We switched to the group split (G1 left, G2 right) and have a dedicated knockbacker on each side that knocks the meteor back when it's too close. The first meteor runner takes it to the back and knocks it back then runs back to their group. From there it's just a game of knock it back when it's in a decent range from both groups and the 5 second immunity it gets after a knockback won't let it end up in your group. The reason this method seems better is there's way more dps time from your players because they're not kiting a meteor full time.

If you click the youtube link in my signature and go to our Ragnaros kill, you can see the frost dk's perspective on transitions. Knock them back once you reach the corner on the other side. You can see how messy full time kiting of a meteor gets (aka 3 people alive for first kill).