Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Sudden LOUD noise from my computer

Hi

I was just about to go to bed when my computer started making this really loud noise, it was like if someone were drilling a hole right next to me. It went on for a few minutes and restarting the computer did not fix it. There were no temperature or performance issues. It was very similar to this.

What is wrong? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Redoxe

General information about my computer:
    Operating System - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    BIOS - Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor - AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor ~2.2GHz
    Memory - 4096MB RAM
    GPU - ATI Radeon HD 3650

3~ years old, cleaned once a few months ago. Fresh installation of W7 less than a month ago.

HDD Scan right before I reinstalled W7

Ran memtest86+ for 1 hour (didn't know you were supposed to run it more than that) without any problems.
    Last edited by mmocf3e8550591; 2011-09-05 at 07:52 PM.

The Devil.

On a serious note, a loud grinding noise can usually be traced to your hard drive.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonwor.../hdnoisetb.htm
    Bleh

Two suggestions to what it might be;

*) You're using fans whose motor or blades catch up on either cables, dustfilters or just rubs against something.
    *) Your harddrive

That would most likely be your harddrive.

Deleted
    Maybe something got loose or something in your case. Try opening it up and inspect it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muriko View Post
    The Devil.

On a serious note, a loud grinding noise can usually be traced to your hard drive.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonwor.../hdnoisetb.htm
    I was hoping that my computer would work a little longer since I was planning on buying a new one soon. If it's my hard drive I can probably buy a new one and use it later on when I get a new computer. Still a bit annoying since I'm going to a LAN party this weekend and I don't want my computer to suddenly **** everyone's ears

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Likely either the fan or the Hard Drive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Two suggestions to what it might be;

*) You're using fans whose motor or blades catch up on either cables, dustfilters or just rubs against something.
    *) Your harddrive
    Well since it stopped, would you say that leans towards 1 or 2?

Deleted
    Did you leave your speakers on and was it playing a youtube video of someone drilling a hole?

Either what was posted or MAYBE your video card, I am not sure about that model, but my current one (a 5800) occasionally becomes loud, similar to a running car (although much smoother sounding). I have not noticed any performance changes either. I am not sure if this might help but it is a possibility, considering they are made by the same people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkitozh View Post
    I would still lean towards the harddrive. But opening up your case and checking for rogue wires or simply to listen is never a bad choice.
    Bleh

1. I managed to screw a fan in too tight, and it sometimes and very arbitrarily decides to make a noise when its protruding axle rubs against the dustfilter. And I kind of ruined the screws. Ohwell, I separated them with zip-ties.

Deleted
    So this could be my HDD, fans or graphics card?

Right now the important things are:

Will this kill my computer in less than two months? Is it possible that it can happen again? What I'm trying to say is this a slight warning that x part is failing or is it "oh god the HDD just exploded"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping that my computer would work a little longer since I was planning on buying a new one soon. If it's my hard drive I can probably buy a new one and use it later on when I get a new computer. Still a bit annoying since I'm going to a LAN party this weekend and I don't want my computer to suddenly **** everyone's ears

you could always sync it up to some music to throttle up/down to the beat.... make it less annoying... :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortillagon View Post
    Did you leave your speakers on and was it playing a youtube video of someone drilling a hole?
    I do that all the time, helps me fall asleep

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    you could always sync it up to some music to throttle up/down to the beat.... make it less annoying... :P
    My headset without any music put it on the same level as normal fans without the headset on. If I was listening to music I'd probably never notice it. If it happens again I'll open up my case and see what all the fuzz is about.

Several months ago my computer made this horrendous clicking-clacking noise whenever I would turn it on or run a program. It was like a demented clock on steroids with a megaphone. Anyways, when I opened it up it turned out that the problem was caused by two things: 1), There was dirt and dust covering the power supply fan, causing it to slightly wobble. 2), this wobbling caused the plastic fan to rub against the metal grate in front of it. I removed the gate completely and gave the fan a good cleaning and now it's as quiet as a mouse.

So yeah, check to see if any of the fans in your computer are hitting anything and go from there.

Edit: Spelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's the moment you start up the computer then I would place my bet on it being a fan for sure. If it was the HDD then I don't think it would happen during POST.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgee View Post
    Several months ago my computer made this horrendous clicking-clacking noise whenever I would turn it on or run a program. It was like a demented cloak on steroids with a megaphone. Anyways, when I opened it up it turned out that the problem was caused by two things: 1), There was dirt and dust covering the power supply fan, causing it to slightly wobble. 2), this wobbling caused the plastic fan to rub against the metal grate in front of it. I removed the gate completely and gave the fan a good cleaning and now it's as quiet as a mouse.

So yeah, check to see if any of the fans in your computer are hitting anything and go from there.
    I've earned the "Clean your computer after being told to do so in 10 different threads" award. Got some compressed air left so if it's dust/dirt I'll get this fixed in no time (being awfully optimistic on the forums while crying in real life).

---------- Post added 2011-09-05 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    If it's the moment you start up the computer then I would place my bet on it being a fan for sure. If it was the HDD then I don't think it would happen during POST.
    It happened after using the computer for 6 hours while I was using Google Chrome with no other programs in the background.

This randomly happened to a clients computer a couple weeks back while I was working on it. The noise was actually coming from the Power supply yet not the fan in the power supply. After restarting the PC a couple times, the power supply just died completely and had to be replaced.

If you can put your ear near the tower when its going off and try to locate roughly where the sound is coming from, this is a possibility. No idea what would cause this to happen though.

The sound resembled a high speed drill attempting to drill through steel or some other kind of metal that it shouldnt be going through, resulting in a very loud Highpitched sound.
    Last edited by SadisticChipmunk; 2011-09-05 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Accidently put Hard drive instead of Power supply
    Fanboy (Fanboi): A Term used when someone disagrees with you on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate your counterpoint back so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming you into silence and thus them winning through dominance.