Thread: Windows 7 disc

Windows 7 disc

So i bought a comp online with No OS so i plan on buying windows 7 from walmart...but their are 2 verions of windows 7 one is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for 122.00 and the other is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full for 189.000 can i just get the 122.00 and put it on the new comp with no OS?

Eh don't get either.
    The upgrade only works if you have a previous version of windows afaik.
    The full one is the overpriced retail version.
    Get an OEM version, they're only $100 and you don't need any previous windows installed.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    the only catch with buying OEM is you have to buy most of a full computer to get it

but if you already have windows installed.. you can still use the upgrade.. and there is an option now for a full install which will completely reformat your drive instead of simply just upgrading what's already there..

dang that one is a little cheaper is their a store anywhere i could buy that? or do i have to order it online

Quote Originally Posted by marcusgeorge View Post
    dang that one is a little cheaper is their a store anywhere i could buy that? or do i have to order it online
    Not at ordinary retail stores... but a computer shop might sell them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

bah! come on payday get closer! i need to get rid of this shitty comp...its crashing everything i try to post a reply rofl

Deleted
    <snip>

Mod Warning: Do not suggest piracy!
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-06 at 09:59 AM.

if your talkin bout one you DLed ya ill pass i got caught years ago and they made me paranoid as crap ill just pay for things (cept movies bahahah) instead of illegally DLing them X.X

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    the only catch with buying OEM is you have to buy most of a full computer to get it
    No you don't. You can buy OEM version for system builders at newegg.com.

---------- Post added 2011-09-05 at 10:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sahtras View Post
    I myself use a cracked version of ultimate x64 :<
    gtfo, no discussing of pirates.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Eh don't get either.
    Get an OEM version, they're only $100 and you don't need any previous windows installed.
    Actually you are wrong, a upgrade will work in the place of a full version if you know how to do so. Google the answer there are 2 methods. You can also get a student discount if you are in college or know someone that is and will validate with Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...s/default.aspx 32bit or 64 bit Wind 7 Pro Upgrade for $29.99 for the digital download or a extra $20 for them to mail the disc to you. I had my niece go through the process for me and just downloaded a ISO and made my own disk.

<snip> I don't even want to consider the notion of paying money for stuff from M$hit! Actually, I have always used such OS and these are usable and upgradable. A good bargain, ain't it?

Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-06 at 09:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Eh don't get either.
    A friend of mine installed an upgrade on a blank HD which actually only installed a trial, but then was able to install the upgrade over the trial somehow (he did it when I was asleep and just told me later he got it to work). So yeah... you can do it, there's a loophole somewhere is all.

Deleted
    Guys, stop talking about/suggesting piracy here!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As it has been suggested purchase the OEM copy from Newegg. It is possible that a local computer store may offer it, but we're talking a small shop not your generic Best Buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahtras View Post
    <snip>

Now he doesn't have to, you did it for him! Next time I would just put Mod Edit.

There is one other option. Sign up for Microsoft Technet.

As a Technet Subscriber, I get access to nearly the entire Microsoft software catalog, and I can install it on as many machines around my home as I please. Now, the one stipulation is that I cannot use my machines as part of an at-home business or "for profit." But, I can download Windows 7 Ultimate full ($189 for OEM or $289 for full version), Office 2010 Professional ($419 for full version), and any other pieces of software that I want. Now, I have two desktops and one laptop in my home. If you have to purchase full version of all three pieces of software for all three machines, you are talking about $2124 from NewEgg. Or there are "three packs" available as well, but I paid $150 for Technet for the first year, and I will pay $250 per year after that. And I will always have the latest versions of Microsoft's entire catalog at my disposal. I will not have to pay for "upgrades" when Windows 8 releases, or when Office 2012 releases. I will just login to my Technet, get my CD-Key, and download the ISO.

I even asked a Technet Rep on the phone if this was legal, and they informed me that yes, it is 100% legal for home use, as long as you are not making money with the use of Technet software.

Remember, purchasing a single OEM license from Newegg was $100 ... and you have to wait. If you purchase Technet for $150 (find a coupon code online to get this price), then you get ALL the software. You are still going to spend less than the full version at Best Buy, and you can download the ISO, burn it, and install before the end of the day as opposed to spending more or waiting for the disk to arrive from Newegg.
    Last edited by Ballador; 2011-09-06 at 03:52 PM.