Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Stealth Buff: Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor

I'm not sure when this took place, but there has been a stealth buff to Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor. The Lightning Bolt now appears to do 260% of it's tooltip damage, and the chance to fire per proc has been increased to roughly 50%.

I'm seeing it do from 4-6% of my damage on a boss fight. I think it's time to reconsider the BiS lists.
    Last edited by Sunfyre; 2011-09-08 at 08:50 PM.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

It's hard to test from dummies because even a 10min sample is too small, and it might even be just wishful thinking, but I tested it out after reading this and I had a fairly significant dps gain from my usual trinkets (NF & DC:V). Going to roll with it this week on raids and see how it goes.

It was fun to see a few 30k hits from it.
    Last edited by Hokuto; 2011-09-06 at 04:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. Anybody using this trinket got any logs they could throw at us to look at?

must..get...trinket

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, if so this is great news. As for the firing at 5, I could of sworn I seen it stack to at least 7 on a couple of pulls.
    I do know it scales with arcanes mastery so maybe it's the same with boomkins?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be nice to see this trinket actually drop for once :/

15+ Year Old Account
    It does scale with the Arcane buff that gives us 3% more damage.

Here's my WoL from tonight showing the capacitor doing 4.5% of my damage:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2540&e=2995
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    It does scale with the Arcane buff that gives us 3% more damage.

Here's my WoL from tonight showing the capacitor doing 4.5% of my damage:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2540&e=2995
    Thanks very much, sir.

After about 2 hours of testing the most I've seen the stacks of electrical charged go to is 3, with a high crit of almost 43k in solar. On average in solar, 8-11k 1 charge hits, 15-17k 2 charge hits, and 20-27k 3charge hits. No eclipse at all I'm seeing between 4-7k hits. With a fairly low crit chance I don't know the average crit of 1-2 charges but most 3 charge crits I've seen vary between 36-43k from what I've seen so far. So maybe the trinket was buffed. When I got it on Thursday night since all of the other casters passed on it I saw a few 8-9 stack bolts go off for some ridiculous amount. But I can't seem to get over 3 stacks now after 2 hours, so something definitely changed. Good catch.
    Last edited by Caides; 2011-09-06 at 06:04 AM.
    Stream - Armory - Instant Dollars - Twitter
    [Atroxe]: I would fuck a whale no troll.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyzmul View Post
    After about 2 hours of testing the most I've seen the stacks of electrical charged go to is 3, with a high crit of almost 43k in solar. On average in solar, 8-11k 1 charge hits, 15-17k 2 charge hits, and 20-27k 3charge hits. No eclipse at all I'm seeing between 4-7k hits. With a fairly low crit chance I don't know the average crit of 1-2 charges but most 3 charge crits I've seen vary between 36-43k from what I've seen so far. So maybe the trinket was buffed. When I got it on Thursday night since all of the other casters passed on it I saw a few 8-9 stack bolts go off for some ridiculous amount. But I can't seem to get over 3 stacks now after 2 hours, so something definitely changed. Good catch.
    You're looking at the stacks wrong.

You never see the stack that fires the bolt, so if you're at one charge, and your bolt fires, you're actually firing at 2 charges. If you can't seem to go over 3 charges, you're actually firing on the 4th charge. I think there might be some sort of ICD built in on how often it fires, because I noticed if I take my gear off and have an extremely low crit rate, I get up to 5 charges much faster.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Code:
    07:04:49 [Mantiss]: Recount - Mantiss's Hostile Attacks: Lightning Bolt
    07:04:49 [Mantiss]: 1. Hit 102 (93%) (Min: 4862 Avg: 11737 Max: 31945)
    07:04:49 [Mantiss]: 2. Crit 8 (7%) (Min: 9114 Avg: 25327 Max: 43506)
    extremely limited testing. stood at the dummies and rotated dots over the raiding dummies

i observed the buff reaching 5 stacks ONCE, and it was gone almost immediately afterwards.

---------- Post added 2011-09-06 at 07:16 AM ----------

this is in solar eclipse, with necromantic focus heroic stacked also.

nice find, i can confirm this. on my raid raid last thursday, the lightning bolts hit for ~5000 dmg average, and sunday they hit for ~10000 dmg average. looks more like 200% to me. but nice buff indeed. :-)

And to think I just "gave" this to the shadowpriest in my group yesterday. >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulitz View Post
    And to think I just "gave" this to the shadowpriest in my group yesterday. >.<
    I'm a shadowpriest who gave it away on Sunday.

I love reading about people getting trinkets off end-tier bosses and not using them til they get buffed.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaopectate View Post
    I love reading about people getting trinkets off end-tier bosses and not using them til they get buffed.
    To be fair, it wasn't all that great a trinket pre-buff. The heroic one was, but only because of the obscene amount of int on it.

Great find OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaopectate View Post
    Maybe that's cos it was next to worthless for almost every class in it's previous state.

Deleted
    As a shadowpriest I noticed this trinket proc buff after last patch, from 1,2-1,5% to 3,4-4% on dummy. Dunno about values on raid boss fights, gonna check tomorrow. Also bolts seems to fire more often.

EU/US/Both?