Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Serissa View Post
    But I'll quote some stuff:

etc. etc. etc.
    Do you understand that the XP VM is in professional version because it's meant for workplaces, not to play games? 99.9% of those restrictions on direct hardware access and low 3D performance are irrelevant when your problem most likely in a workplace is for example some 16bit legacy app you need to run but can't because support for 16bit programs was dropped in Vista/7.

If you do need to play games, you can use the XP mode CD key to install XP in dual boot for real hardware access and no virtualization. Also booting the VHD image directly on bare metal from custom-made Vista/Win7 boot menu is possible under ultimate/corporate versions for the people who actually do need direct access to hardware now and then.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    IIRC free xp license is only with ultimate, professional and enterprise editions of Windows 7. edit: I see thread already touched that subject, oopsies.

But have you actually tried to run a 3d accelerated game through XP-mode, then? I never tried going that route since when googling I only found people saying that 3d acceleration didn't work through it. They might all be liars but then I'd like to see someone saying they in fact CAN run a 3D game on it.
    Not in XPMode, I have in VMPlayer/Workstation I shouldn't imagine that there should be much performance difference. But it looks like if the OP doesn't have Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate (s)he might be looking to get a copy of WinXP anyway. In which case I'd recommend using VMPlayer over Windows XPMode anyway.

Again the main reason I suggested XPMode, is because it requires minimal configuration (You can pretty much almost run it straight from installation, rather than faffing about finding an XP ISO/Disc, creating virtual hard drives (and their sizes), ram allocation, installing XP, Configuring XP, applying patches/updates etc...

---------- Post added 2011-09-06 at 12:44 PM ----------

Anyway to the OP:

It would appear Fallout3 should work natively on Windows 7 32-bit without issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/30...ndows-7-a.html

Also
    Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP/Vista
    1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
    2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)
    Running on XP and Vista is a pretty good indication it will work on Win7 too.

---------- Post added 2011-09-06 at 12:47 PM ----------

Just because they don't officially support it, doesn't mean it won't run.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-09-06 at 11:47 AM.

While I don't pirate / illegally download / whatever, it's just the principle behind DRM that has me weary. They shouldn't be punishing users that have legitimately purchased the game. Not to mention, those that will pirate will just download a cracked version of the game regardless, so it's not going to be stopping much anyway. ...although reading more into the situation, Bethesda claims to only use the 'least intrusive' version, that only 'disk checks'. (http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/20...or-disc-check/)

Thank you everyone for your input.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fallout 3 will work on a Windows 7 system whether you use Steam or the disks. There is still bugs in the game like alt tab crashing it but that is game bugs and nothing more.

Only reason I know this is due to a customer having me install the game on his new system and trying it out to make sure it was operating.

As for some games working on XP and not Windows 7 as long as the game supported Windows Vista you should be fine. If we're talking a game from early '99 or 2000 then chances are it supports Windows 95, 2000, NT, and XP. You can try running the game in a compatibility mode + administrator privileges but chances are you will also need to play the game in 640x480 screen resolution.

Then if that fails you operate a virtual machine or if you have a previous XP license run a dual boot scenario. Personally I just run compatibility mode the way I said and haven't come across a game that hasn't worked. Minus Pizza Tycoon which I ran in DosBox but come on it was from 1996 or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Hence why I recommended XPMode over VMPlayer since there's no point in buying Windows XP just to play a game... Of course as it's a virtual machine.... You could run it in "trial state" and simply reinstall it every 28 days or so... I guess.... not sure of the "legality" of doing that though.
    Or you could convert Volume License version of Win XP to an OEM version (which is basically what XP mode is) and use XP mode's key to register it ... Life is so simple

But I have to say I use VM ware and XP with the VLK of my company and it runs like a charm. I use it for work mostly, where either the programs don't work properly under win 7 or for older programs which I don't want to conflict with newer ones which are installed in win 7.

I wouldn't go about running heavy 3D applications/games with either the VM ware or XP mode, but older games like Sanitarium (which is a 2d adventure thing) run like a charm

Edit: Concerning Fallout 3
    If you install the game and don't touch the launcher (to run or configure the game etc) you don't even touch the securom disc check, nor need the disc in your drive
    Last edited by Detheavn; 2011-09-06 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Fallout 3 edit

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please, it's Fallout 3. Of course it will run on 7. It's not like it's Wolfenstein 3d or something ancient like that.

It doesn't list it on the game because it came out prior to 7's release
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post

Edit: Concerning Fallout 3
    If you install the game and don't touch the launcher (to run or configure the game etc) you don't even touch the securom disc check, nor need the disc in your drive
    So yeah, having a brain fart right now...launcher is which part, exactly? When I open the desktop icon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Please, it's Fallout 3.
    As I said in one of my previous posts, I just want to be sure before I purchase it. Since you can't return computer games, I wanted to be absolutely sure. I don't want to be holding a $30 box that does nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Securom isn't a big deal. People are just a bit paranoid about security in general.

The main issue with Securom is that when coded poorly it can cause game slowdowns (see: Witcher 2). Fallout 3 has no issues though as far as I can recall. It runs fine on Windows 7 as well.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Your game will work, and if it has issues you can run it in compatibility mode for an older os, windows 7 is backwards supported for games and other programs.
    Steam rocks don't knock steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Steam rocks don't knock steam.
    I'm not knocking, nor have I ever, knocked Steam. I simply said that I'd rather have the physical disk in my hands. I prefer it to digital content. Only downside is now I must wait. /shrug

Thank you all for your input. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Securom isn't a big deal. People are just a bit paranoid about security in general.

The main issue with Securom is that when coded poorly it can cause game slowdowns (see: Witcher 2). Fallout 3 has no issues though as far as I can recall. It runs fine on Windows 7 as well.
    My main issue with SecuROM and most DRM methods in general is that they're pain in the ass for users. I really cba to keep (and even less to swap) DVDs in the computer depending on what games I'm playing. So I use various methods that are bit on the gray area to get rid of these problems and play the game from HDD only. Even consoles can do this, so why not PCs...

Activation (like the one used in Windows for example) is fine, CD checks are just annoying and getting outright impossible pretty soon since one day not so far in the future my DVD drive will go the same way as floppy drive did.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    As I said in one of my previous posts, I just want to be sure before I purchase it. Since you can't return computer games, I wanted to be absolutely sure. I don't want to be holding a $30 box that does nothing.
    Legally (In England at least) you can. The retailer may not like it... but you can always take them to a small claims court because your unable to use the product. As long as the product is in a resaleable "as new" condition, there shouldn't be a problem. (Here we have a mandatory 14day "cooling off period" in which time you can legally return just about anything for a full refund.

In US, at least in CA, everywhere I go, it explicitly states on receipts, damn near everywhere, that it can't be returned or exchanged. So, if it's open, I'm basically stuck with it. That's interesting that you can return it in England, considering you could do...less than reputable things...and then return it and get a free game.

10+ Year Old Account
    In US, at least in CA, everywhere I go, it explicitly states on receipts, damn near everywhere, that it can't be returned or exchanged. So, if it's open, I'm basically stuck with it. That's interesting that you can return it in England, considering you could do...less than reputable things...and then return it and get a free game.
    The receipt is not legally binding. It's worth checking into, but retailers often take advantage of Consumers not knowing their own Consumer Rights.

How exactly would I check into it? I have no knowledge of my Consumer Rights. =P

Also, taking companies to small claims court...wouldn't you end up paying more doing that than just having a useless game?

10+ Year Old Account
    How exactly would I check into it? I have no knowledge of my Consumer Rights. =P

Also, taking companies to small claims court...wouldn't you end up paying more doing that than just having a useless game?
    Which is exactly why they get away with it... no one bothers.

that happens because windows 7 didn't exist at the time.